Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Aidan Lowe

Its nice to see it re-opening but with no current eta on x-sector, spinball or sub-terra opening they have no choice in my eyes and have to revert back to opening Th13teen and Rita at 10am on weekdays.

Having a good portion of your park closed it makes people justify whether they should even go especially if they don't get in for 2 for 1 or half price etc.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
DeadJack5

So does this mean the park will be open Thursday?

( I travel there on that day :D )
Aidan Lowe

Yea it'll be open as usual from now on.
themealgang

I was there today. Lots of cars in the car park but the rides themselves were very quiet indeed.

I didn't arrive on time, but apparently when the gates opened at 10am there were cheers and wolf-whistles of encouragement to be heard. And obviously, plenty of television crews about, too.

They were also offering free tickets as a thank you (lovely gesture) to anybody who returned to the park today. I'm yet to know if this will become something that will be implemented for the remainder of the week.

But overall, it's nice to have the park open again.
Stan.H

themealgang wrote:I was there today. Lots of cars in the car park but the rides themselves were very quiet indeed.

I didn't arrive on time, but apparently when the gates opened at 10am there were cheers and wolf-whistles of encouragement to be heard. And obviously, plenty of television crews about, too.

They were also offering free tickets as a thank you (lovely gesture) to anybody who returned to the park today. I'm yet to know if this will become something that will be implemented for the remainder of the week.

But overall, it's nice to have the park open again.
Most likely all for CBeebies land!
Aidan Lowe

The outlet you sit around near Duel is changing to an ice cream place not sure if it was mentioned before but its undergoing work as of Wednesday.
alicheesy

They have mentioned on Twitter that they are getting ice cream made using liquid nitrogen (Nitrogenie) in early July and this will be the new ice cream place in Gloomy Wood.
Thank you to Owen for the most fabulous signature to ever exist ever
Aidan Lowe

And here is a brief video of said Nitrogenie, another nice addition imo:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Adam.W

I agree, a nice addition indeed :D
Hope they have something planned for gloomy wood, they need another attraction or something, even if it's not really a ride, but pulls the crowds
MakoMania

I have to oppose this Nitrogenie thing. When not operated properly this technique can be extremley dangerous, people have died due to errors made by kitchen staff in the past. This is very risky from Alton Towers, this isn't the way to restore confidence after The Smiler's dreadful incident. Everyone I've shown this to have been shocked that a large institution such as Alton Towers would even consider this. Bad move in my opinion.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Aidan Lowe

True, it can cause frostbite or cryogenic burns. But with Nitrogenie & Food Loop both have safety concerns, hotpots flying around on a track.

Alton Towers seem to have more interest in visual dazzling things than overall simplistic things. I'm sure they have thought this through and not a lighthearted decision, won't be a job vacancy offered to just anyone.
MakoMania

I hope they do take all necessary precautions, I'd hate to think of the headlines if something were to happen.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Aidan Lowe

My only concern at the moment is its current location, something like this is bound to be popular. Both for taste and visually watching the liquid nitrogen smoke, can't help but think it'll get a bit congested in that area. Its not a truly large area and it branches off in all directions so you have people constantly going everywhere.

It makes sense to have it on the way to where the SW8 will be situated as that's where most of the people will be in a few years and also if they introduce a new entrance it will be around that location also I believe.
Dom

According to the Mirror, a campaign has been started for the removal of the provocative 'Ride Me' T-shirts.

This is the Article
Morgan

Come on Mirror...
Seems Mirror won't leave Towers alone at the moment, they need to stand up for themselves!
As far as I know, the Ride-me merch is a joke...
NemesisRider

Well, if I've ever seen the media declare war on anyone, it's been Alton Towers. In my opinion, if you see "ride me" as an innuendo that would make the T-Shirts dangerous, then you need to think that Alton Towers is a theme park. It's meant to be tongue in cheek. Whether you find it provocative or not is your interpretation!

Plus, they're trying to drag out The Smiler story. I mean, they've even put another poll on there on whether the shirts should be removed... :no:

I'm getting to the point where I genuinely believe Alton Towers could complain about how the news is just trying to blacken their brand image. The papers will have damaged the brand.
stealthsmiler

I kinda get where they're coming from as it is inappropriate for young girls to wear them, however it is up to the parents to control if their daughters buy them. And its not as bad as the shirts most parents allow their daughters to wear which reveal almost everything.

I think it would have helped to reference the theme park on them more, such as having coaster track printed around the shirt. That would make it more obvious that its a pun from a theme park, because if they were to wear the shirt in public off of the resort, I doubt many people would realise that it is a reference to ATR and rides
Aidan Lowe

Parents worried about this? Have they seen what their 13 yo daughters wear nowadays.. this is the least of their worries.
humanshifter

Surely a child wearing a t-shirt with an implied sexual slogan is much, much "worse"/more inappropriate than children wearing "revealing" clothes. They're kids? And if they really do market "Ride It" t-shirts to men and "Ride Me" t-shirts to women, it's incredibly sexist.

That being said, the Mirror's story and the campaign are super dumb. They're transparently only doing it to drag out the Smiler story, and the way they put it: 'the t-shirts could comfortably fit a 13-year-old', suggests the t-shirts are in adult sizes.
Adam.W

I hate the media, what they do is say 'rita had a 20 min late opening today' then 'just 1 week ago the park's main ride, the smiler crashed...' Blah blah about the whole situation again.