Alton Towers Resort General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
MerlinFan

YAAAYYYYY!!! Now just need to work out when me and my hubby can go... hmmm
Stan.H

Why does Nemesis sub-terra open at 11am?? is it because there are actors in it? :dizzy:
MakoMania

Towersstreet are reporting that Dark forest is now only open from 11am and Ripsaw, Sub-Terra, The Flume, River Rapids are only opening at 12!?!?!?!?!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
evenstar120

Not sure I like these amended opening times. Is it true they have removed the SRQ for Nemmy and Rita??
Nathan_Fisher

I can understand the staggered openings last year (skyride, sub terra, the flume and rapids) But that's ridiculous now! How can they close an entire area until 11 am, this won't be adequate especially with peak summer crowds. The rapids and the flume have opened late for a while, so i can see why they are keeping this the same. They're getting like PA with their staggered openings. Hopefully this will be amended late on in the year. I don't like having rants on here, but Alton Towers really need to reconsider this.
lucy2244

evenstar120 wrote:Not sure I like these amended opening times. Is it true they have removed the SRQ for Nemmy and Rita??
coastin.net has put on Facebook that all signage for the srq on Nemesis has been took down and baggage holds put infront of where the queue used to be. Not sure about Rita though. If this is true, I think getting rid of the single rider queues is a real shame especially for enthusiasts like us who want to get as many rides in as possible. A big mistake in my eyes.
Aidan Lowe

evenstar120 wrote:Is it true they have removed the SRQ for Nemmy and Rita??
They were closed today as well as fast track queues, not sure why exactly, guess from other people they have been removed.

I went to DF just after 11am and the queues for th13teen were getting as far back as the scaffolding where Rita goes overhead and by then Rita was just boarding its first guests.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
lewis97
Admin
Admin

The staggered ride openings are certainly a controversial move by the resort, and it will be interesting to see whether they retain these opening times for the rest of the season. It hasn't helped that guests weren't aware of these changes prior to visiting today, however on Twitter they have confirmed that signage will be added around the theme park in the coming weeks to detail the different openings.
Ryan.B

Why is one of the parks top 2 most popular areas opening late, close enterprise and Oblivon instead of rides which are the two highest queues apart from the smiler and octonauts?
SmilerLover

I think its a shame with the staggered opening. It means that thrill seakers will have less time on the rides
Credit to NemesisRider for this awsome signature! :moj
Balb0wa

Shocking move from Towers, 2 main rides opening late, its not on, just makes oblivion and the smiler busier, pathetic. I may just sell my pass voucher this year.
SmilerLover

It probably won't stay in place. It might just be so newer staff members have time to adjust to their new jobs
Credit to NemesisRider for this awsome signature! :moj
Aidan Lowe

Alton Towers Twitter in regards to the closure of Single Rider queue lines:
It's due to Single Riders slowing the loading of the ride, particularly Nemesis, however we are listening to all feedback :-)
Unfortunately they were not meeting guest expectations, and the removal will allow the rides to run to their full potential...
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Disappointing start to the season @altontowers, a quarter of the park opening late, rides on half capacity & rotting theming :(
I actually agree completely. For the grand opening day of 2015 season it was pretty bad as if they were unprepared.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
lucy2244

weather staggering ride openings is because of training staff, cutting costs or directing guests 'flow' around the park, it's not on. People expect to arrive at a theme park and be able to go on all the rides, not to have this ridiculous staggered opening, especially for what they charge to get in the park. I can only see this move increasing queue times as people will rush onto the open rides causing higher delays and then everyone will flock to the open rides once they do open. A bad move and a hassle for everyone- especially the unsuspecting general public.
MakoMania

I agree, its an absolute disgrace especially since Rita & 13 are so popular!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
NemesisRider

The Dark Forest late opening is probably what's annoyed me most out of these changes. It's a large important sector, and 13 is the best 1.2m ride on the park.
ROYJESS

I was on park today. Arrived about 8am, I did see the TT group all meeting at the turn style before opening. I was queuing at the third annual pass gate (second in line just behind the wheelchair user) with my daughter. I should really post on here more and get to know you all better.

I must say, having the DV opening at 11 is really terrible and forced everyone onto certain rides (the only ones that were open). I was well peeved as the whole point in getting to the park early is to avoid the ques. I'm a regular at Alton and I can say even at 10am the ques for Rita usually start to build. The que for thirteen today was really bad by the time it had open. I also understand that the water rides, ripsaw and sub-terror didn't open until 12 noon. This is a really bad move.

I do hope that Alton really reconsider these ridiculous ride opening times.

Roy
Sentri558

I know I'm being 'that guy' but it's 'queue' instead of 'que'. A 'que' is used in snooker to hit the ball :)

Anyway, entirely agree that Merlin/AT is off their hat with this change.
EDIT: still waiting for a response from their twitter account. Presuming I'll get the "customer feedback is important to us" copy paste. Poor guys on the twitter account probably haven't been told.
Last edited by Sentri558 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stan.H

I agree, dark forest is one of the main sectors and rita doesn't have great load times, and also rita and th13teen both get large queues. AT should open dark forest the same time as everything else as where the ones paying 50 odd quid to get in or spending a small fortune on a premium annual pass! :D
thedeckking

Just had a chat with a nice man from "guest experience" and it sounds like blade will remain for the whole season. No hints as to what's next though