Nemesis - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Phild94

Couldn’t agree more, especially with all the TLC to restore its former glory...

There’s a very good reason why it’s been voted as the best inverted coaster several times!
PhNx Survivor

I agree that Nemesis is better overall themed, and ride experience is possibly.. the best in the park, however I do find it hard to see its design better than The Smiler, to cram 3 minutes, and 25 seconds into the space of where Black Hole used to be is quite remarkable.. where the theming of The Smiler is only good for the station and The Marmaliser.. Nemesis has overall best theme station, terrain, surrounding area. (Not counting Wicker Man just yet ;) )

Unfortunately I have to say The Smiler is my personal favourite, but Nemesis is a strong second place.. I'm hoping Wicker Man can take Oblivion off my 3rd place.. we shall see..
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
JenRawrRizzle

I think they have done extremely well with The Smiler to cram that much track into that space, but I think its pretty much a ride that sits on a flat piece of land. If you look at Nemesis the engineering and planning to dig that huge hole and then integrate the ride elements, queue line, station into that is still astounding to to me every-time I go to the park. 

Also I like that you can walk around Nemesis in parts which makes it immersive and accessible. The Smiler is pretty much fenced off. Towers have had 24 years to go beyond that, and I agree The Smiler is probably the closest in terms of complexity.
PhNx Survivor

Hmm.. now that I think about it.. they did use a lot of the rock they dug out from Nemesis' pit, and used it for the surrounding area of Forbidden Valley, you can see the excavation marks still :)

Yeah I agree, I especially love the part in the queue than goes over the bridge near the water fall, as the train comes down it looks like it's going to hit you, but then diverts off.. and that section with the loop.. the wind that hits you in the queue is always quite fun to experience :lol

On a side note, I watched a video the other day from TowersTimes about Nemesis.. I cannot believe the fence that surrounds the helix after the first corkscrew used to be so low! think H&S had a lot to say about that haha
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
zappomatic

Take some sunglasses if you're going to ride Nemesis - the bulbs in the overhead lights in the station have been swapped out for insanely bright, flat white LED corn lamps giving the station a strangely clinical look that's more suited to The Smiler.
Zach

zappomatic wrote:Take some sunglasses if you're going to ride Nemesis - the bulbs in the overhead lights in the station have been swapped out for insanely bright, flat white LED corn lamps giving the station a strangely clinical look that's more suited to The Smiler.
Have to agree there zappomatic, they are insanely bright! They need the red filters putting back on them and I think that might take the sting out of them! 

In other Nemesis news, it has been floating around that Nemesis is one train while the other has maintenance, from the picture I took today it would see that the maintenance is far more extensive than perhaps first thought. These new parts were sitting behind the maintenance shed today :) 
TheDuke

Thats annoying but pretty happy because they're really giving it top tier maintenance then which is good
TheBeornen

I don't mind them running it on one train because it really looks like they're putting a lot of work into the ride.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Robert.W

Indeed, I'm really pleased to see Nemesis having some maintenance work done! Slightly annoyed that, for whatever reason, it couldn't be completed during closed season, but I'm still pleased it's happening nonetheless. Hopefully Wicker Man will distract the crowds long enough for Nemesis to cope with just one train operation!

Kraken

I don't think they are new parts for the Nemesis trains in the picture - the design of the B&M inverter trains has changed slightly over time.  The parts in the picture are the individual seats that are bolted to the chassis of the train.  If you look at the bottom of the seats (under / around the fence pole in the picture) you can see a square plate with 4 holes on each seat.  This is to mount the "bottom bar" that links the seats on each row of the train.  Only older B&M Inverter trains (like Nemesis) have this.  Newer trains moved to using 3 lattice-plates per row immediately beneath the seats to link the 4 seats together.  

I would suggest these are the original train seats that were removed & taken to the Tech Services workshop for thorough NDT (non-destructive testing) and painting over the closed season.  Also note there is what looks like a cable-tied tag on each seat - this will doubtless contain the row & seat number for identification & maintenance records.  

Finally, if they were new seats - they would not have been delivered from B&M like this on a pallet.  They would have been very carefully packed (probably no more than two to a pallet) & shrink-wrapped.  Of course, nothing to say they could have been delivered to the main workshop, unpacked & then moved to Nemesis like this.  Don't think I'd risk that personally as B&M parts will not be cheap - I'd unpack them in situ at Nemesis to minimise the risk of accidental damage.  

Either way, unless major unexpected faults were found in the structure of the seats / train, it is a poor show that Nemesis is starting the season on just one train.  
Justin

As posted on the TowersTimes Facebook page, we provide you with photos of Nemesis looking great, with the third and final stage of the monster's refurbishment having been completed during the closed season.

Robert.W

Was Nemesis open today? I'm really worried as I'm going on Monday and Tuesday and I just don't know if I can bear missing out on my favourite ride! :D

Justin

Yes, Nemesis was open but it is only operating on one train. :)
Robert.W

Justin wrote:Yes, Nemesis was open but it is only operating on one train. :)
Thanks Justin, knew it'd be one train only, I was just a bit worried since it didn't open at all yesterday. Glad to hear it's back open though! :)

Muppet738

It more likely that the snow forecast for Monday will close it instead
Phild94

Muppet738 wrote:It more likely that the snow forecast for Monday will close it instead
I like the overwhelming positivity! ;)

I doubt it will be enough to close rides like last time but I suppose we will find out soon enough
Muppet738

I hope it doesn't we have a trip planned for Monday and Tuesday
The Nemesis Fox

It hasn’t opened yet today
jwewan

Does anyone know why Nemesis hasn't opened today?

EDIT: And she's back up :) with a 60 minute queue
Last edited by Dan on Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post
Mikw

jwewan wrote:Does anyone know why Nemesis hasn't opened today?

EDIT: And she's back up :) with a 60 minute queue
Someone on park said they were working on kicker wheels on the track somewhere