Alton Towers Hotel & Splash Landings

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Inferno Attractions

djtidus wrote: I've stayed in both. The atmosphere is better in splash but you don't get much sleep due kids running in the corridors and slamming doors.
REALLY WOW I thought it was just me
Thanks to lewis97 for the signature (I think he may be a Wizard)

Inferno Attractions
Macca79

Haveing stayed in both hotels many times
I must say my fav is SL i love the smell of it the views of Cariba Creek and the wackyness of the themeing.
stealthsmiler

I've never stayed in ATH, but have been in it many times. But my favourite is SL. It is cheaper and more fun. It has a Caribbean feel to it and I love everything about the Caribbean. It has the waterpark joined onto it and the theming is brilliant.

But as the two are close you can enjoy what both have to offer. Plus as I've never stayed at ATH I cannot comment on the rooms. And it is posher although for that reason it feels less fun which at a theme park, it's all about feeling like a kid again, not a grown up in a posh hotel.

But that is just my opinion
Danny

Splash Landings is also closer to the monorail entrance so if your out early enough you can beat the majority of hotel guests :)
Hari

I've stayed in ATH twice. Splash Landings has never appealed to me. I'm 14 and have been with TT for 4 years and have heard mixed reviews so I just stuck to what we did before and didnt risk it though lol. However, I always go to the waterpark, its amazing!
Cookie Monster

ATH has a calm atmosphere for if you want to relax and unwind, whereas SLH is more family orientated. So for me, I prefer ATH, but it is a matter of personal opinion.
mphillips16

I prefer splash landing I love the music In The lifts lol
towerslover

:( Alton Towers Hotel all the way, Splash Landings stinks of chlorine
JaykeAT

towerslover wrote::( Alton Towers Hotel all the way, Splash Landings stinks of chlorine
:lol I voted Splash Landings because of the chlorine smell
MakoMania

JaykeAT wrote:
:lol I voted Splash Landings because of the chlorine smell
As a swimmer I can relate to that :lol
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
RobHand

As I have already stayed in the ATH, and I am staying in the SL hotel very soon, only time will tell i guess
Kraken

Have only stayed in the ATH some time ago in the pre-Splash Landings days and it was OK.

Comments I have heard from friends who have stayed in both is that ATH is starting to show it's age & there are [or were] limited power sockets in the rooms as it was built before everyone had a phone / tablet / laptop etc to charge. Don't quite me on this though, as it could easily have changed - not exactly hard to put in a few extra sockets next to existing ones.

On the Splash Landings front, the general consensus of friends is echoed above. It's noisier & smells of chlorine. If I want to sit and have a drink in the evening, I would prefer not to do it in a bar that smells like a swimming pool. Apparently the soundproofing between the rooms is not up to much either, you can hear what is - ahem - going on in the next room(s) with relative ease.

I live fairly close to Alton Towers (22 miles away) so generally do not consider staying over - home is cheaper. The treehouses in the Enchanted Village do look very tempting though.
AndreJD

Just back from the Alton towers hotel yesterday, have stayed in splash landings previously. I much prefer ATH for the same reasons everyone's pointed out. It's slightly more adult oriented, has better bar and dining options, a beautiful outdoor area (when it's not under construction), it isn't humid and chlorinated, and has a nice atmosphere. SL is fine but I definitely prefer staying away from it. The location is only another 200m away from the monorail so you have to leave all of 2 minutes earlier to mitigate it. The sockets in rooms is definitely still an issue, I brought along an extension cord though so had no issues - they should stick one of those in every room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Martinw

As a parent of young children, I prefer SL as it's more child (younger) friendly and the location is closer the the Monorail. However once they have grown up, my preference will change to AT.
Count-Vonduel

When it had the original paint I much prefered splash and even after the new paint I prefered it but just barley, now that they have the hallways locked unless you have a room key I much prefer ATH.
daveclarkedaveclarke

I prefer ATH. Love the lift! Always make some excuse to use it!!!!!

However i do prefer the food in SL.
Robert.W

Splash Landings is apparently closed. Again. 

And they still want to build even more hotels?

streetmagix

Wasn't it closed around this time last year too? I don't really see how closing it is saving them that much money (most of the staff are all full time, cleaning staff might be contract) so things seem rather dire. 

When I travel I sometimes stay in hotels near expo centers when there aren't trade shows on. Prices are cheap and the rooms are good, the hotels keep some cash flow going during the quiet times. They don't just close up shop.
Robert.W

Yeah. The difference with this year and last, is that last year they called it a "refurbishment". I'm sure I wasn't the only one who noticed that nothing been refurbished... 

AltonOperator

I too agree that Merlin’s current plan to cut ride funding and focus on building hotels is absurd when they’re not even making enough money from the current ones to keep them open! I think the price is holding them back. If they could resist their usual temptation to overprice everything and just build a nice but basic hotel at a Premier Inn level price I think it’d be incredibly successful. While they’re still building expensive hotels, they will continue to fail!
Thanks Jack