The advantages and disadvantages of SW's

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

What do you think Alton Towers should do?

Continue with SW's
74%
Make rides without SW's
6%
Use rides with small gimmicks such as " first phsycoaster"
6%
Make rides without gimmicks and SW's
14%

Total votes: 50
Danny

BenBowser wrote: I don't mind if they continue to to use the SW tag. As long as Wardley has some input. After all, it's his code.
Although it's not impossible, it's very unlikely that JW will return to his role at AT. He may be there to recommend and put his opinions across but he will not be involved as much if at all.
BenBowser

Then there shall be no more SWs. They can build new coasters that rely on similar thing to that of the likes of Nemesis and Oblivion. But just no SW tagline.
Danny

BenBowser wrote: Then there shall be no more SWs. They can build new coasters that rely on similar thing to that of the likes of Nemesis and Oblivion. But just no SW tagline.
Just because JW has retired doesn't mean they can't use SW. he admitted in an interview that he hopes alton bring out many great secret weapons in the future and he'd always be there if they needed him.
Themeparksandy1981

Isn't the Smiler also the only eurofighter coaster that uses 16 seater trains?

I reckon they should do a tribute to JW by showing off his work,designs and the models if they all still around. The attraction should be called the history of the Secret weapons and should go right from the failed 1&2 upto the Smiler.
Alex

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: Isn't the Smiler also the only eurofighter coaster that uses 16 seater trains?

I reckon they should do a tribute to JW by showing off his work,designs and the models if they all still around. The attraction should be called the history of the Secret weapons and should go right from the failed 1&2 upto the Smiler.
Technically The Smiler is an infinity coaster, this is what it is listed as on the Gerst website.
kierannewcombe

I don't like them to be honest. First of all, when people see all the marketing and all the worlds first they expect too much from the ride and it often doesn't match their expectations. Finally, now that John Wardley has gone they should stop classing them as "Secret Weapons" as a memory to him.

Credit to Lewis97
scw55

Are members of the public (not enthusiasts or regular AT goers) even aware that the occasional new coaster at Alton Towers is a "Secret Weapon"?

I had no idea about the SW tag until I visited a coaster fansite's page on Alton Towers when I was thir13en years old.
Last edited by scw55 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenBowser

scw55 wrote: Are members of the public (not enthusiasts or regular AT goers) even aware that the occasional new coaster at Alton Towers is a "Secret Weapon"?

I had no idea about the SW tag until I visited a coaster fansite's page on Alton Towers when I was thir13en years old.
They didn't use to be. But I expect they are now because of the way they marketed The Smiler.
stealthsmiler

I think AT over hyped the world's first with The Smiler. I was so excited then was a bit let down when it said 14 loops. AT do focus on the world's first too much. The whole bigger and better in other parks wouldn't be an issue if AT made a good big coaster around the world's first. I know they have restrictions such as height though, and that's whats holding the UK back. The UK relies upon having world firsts as we can't do bigger and better like the US. Paramount park could change that hopefully.

A cool SW coaster for AT could be a snake like coaster that weaves its way in and out of the whole park, gliding through the trees. It could be smooth and fast, so although it would lack on height, it could rely on having length and speed on its side. I do think that it will have to be well hidden and not be obtrusive as that could ruin the rest of the park but as there's plenty of trees, it could make sneaky appearances.
Last edited by stealthsmiler on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.