Alton Towers Christmas

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
markjbevan

Hi all, my wife has just booked the family into the Alton Towers hotel for their Christmas package on 23-24th December.  I understand that on the 23rd some "family" rides will be open, and on 24th the pool is open.  I believe Christmas dinner is included along with other entertainment too.

My question is, does anyone know which "family" rides are likely to be open on 23rd December?

Also, has anyone done this package before and what did they think of it!

Thanks in advance, Mark
Danny

The current proposed line up of rides and attractions open over Christmas consists of:

Charlie & The Chocolate Factory
Driving School
Frog Hopper
Heave Ho
Ice Age 4D
Marauder's Mayhem
Sharkbait Reef

That's as much as I can help you with really. I'm potentially looking at staying in a slightly earlier time frame than yourself, however I have never visited the Resort over the festive period.

Have a great time :)
Adam

Also just to note, on the 24th the waterpark is only open till 2pm.
"It would be spiteful to put Jellyfish in a trifle..."
markjbevan

Thanks guys, really appreciate the info!

SHould be good!  Most of those rides and the kids favourites, so fingers crossed :)

Cheers, Mark

Wobble World and Gallopers Carousel will also be open on the rides front.
The Santa experience is usually very magical as well!
Last edited by 12344321 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fatnorville

Have visited AT over Christmas several times over the years (including those years when the park itself wasn't open, and all we got were a few rides such as dodgems on the car park). However we had a wonderful time on each occasion.

In no particular order:-

- You do get a Christmas meal as part of the package. Expect the restaurant to be busy, so reserve a table today otherwise if you leave it until you arrive you may only get one of the 'dead end' slots.
- Eve entertainment includes the Pirate Bill show, and the local show band singing a selection of festive hits. Entertainment ends quite early at the AT hotel, but I understand it continues into the small hours at Splash Landings. However never visited Splash Landings hotel in all my visits.
- I am assuming your kids will want to visit Santa. Book this in advance too.
- When I last visited the areas around Sharkbait Reef, and the kids area (can't remember its name...sorry...the bit where the farm is) were open. The kids area is being redeveloped this year so it seems that the area around the Ice Age theatre will be used as a substitute. However don't expect any of the big / thrill rides to be open.
- The cold weather can affect the availability of some rides which can be frustrating.
- The themeing is wonderful, particularly when it gets dark and you get the full effect of the lights.
- Visiting Santa in his log cabin is always a wonderful experience and beautifully done, even if the kids presents are tat and not age appropriate!
- You can use the waterpark on both days.
- The monorail isn't open and is replaced by a bus service. Alternatively you can drive to / from the park.
Benji

Is it just people who stay in the hotel who are allowed in the park over closed season?

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!
Themeparksandy1981

It looks like Charlie will not be getting much TLC this closed season if it's open for the Christmas and half term event. Is it the the first time Charlie has been open outside the main season?
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie was open for christmas last year but i think it stayed closed in february.
Lee

The resort won't feel there's much maintenance to do on Charlie. Generally speaking, all the animation etc still work. So I'd imagine it'll just be case of completing some checks and pre emptive maintenance on the boats and the lift section.

Easily, and quick enough to complete.
Themeparksandy1981

Why doesn't Hex open for Christmas then?
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fatnorville

"Why doesn't Hex open for Christmas then?"

Doesn't quite work with the 'Christmassy, young families, Santa, time of good will' type of vibe I think the park are going for at Christmas.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Fatnorville wrote: "Why doesn't Hex open for Christmas then?"

Doesn't quite work with the 'Christmassy, young families, Santa, time of good will' type of vibe I think the park are going for at Christmas.
Also, I believe that the 'Hexagon' does require a fair bit of maintenance over the closed season, so there isn't really anything to justify having it open.
Themeparksandy1981

Wouldn't it be good if they used the queue, pre show and the first 2 rooms and turned it into a Christmas Carol.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.