2014 Park Map

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Burniel

FINALLY! Something with realistic paths, and clear ride lists at the front! :)
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
stealthsmiler

Definitely an improvement. I am glad 13 and Rita are no longer shown to be whizzing behind Toadstool. If I didn't know my way round AT like the back of my own hand then I would probably lat year have been stood in CCL near saying 'wheres 13?', not realising its just round the corner. Nemesis looks a lot better as well, from what I can make out. I wish Oblivion looked a bit more accurate tho, but at the end of the day, the GP don't care what it looks like (the ride, not the map) as it's still obviously Oblivion.
DrReeve

I think the new map is a serious improvement for the better. nice work AT
KoasterKraver

The 2014 park maps have been placed around the park today!
Alton Towers will be uploading the 2014 park map to their website shortly ready for the park opening next weekend!
cookiee_munster

that chessington map is great! very much like the towers maps from the early 00's

i guess the new towers map is an improvement. still a mish mash of cluttered images imo...
Gax

I think the new map is definitely an improvement! And we should think ourselves lucky that it is nothing like Thorpe's new monstrosity!

cookiee_munster

holy crap! who designs all these maps!!?!? lol. awful.
Luviico

How on earth are you supposed to find your way around Thorpe with that thing? All about the design not the actual layout of the park. Pointless and a waste of trees! On the other hand AT's is getting there! Still prefer the maps from the early 00's though.
Oblivion guy

Oh my gosh how the hell do I find myself around Thorpe with that thing. On other terms I think AT have done extremely well with this map. Love the design, the colours and the boxes showing you the rides. Probably one of my fav maps
Altontowersbarlow

I personally feel AT have designed this map perfectly to allow a balance of artistic and attractive features with the need of navigational usage. I also like how the map is not overpowered by Cbeebies land and does not detract form the other areas nearby such as X-sector. The boxes listing the rides in the areas are brilliantly themed and add magic to the map therefore I think these and the map in general are a great success :)
NemeJaney

I'm not a fan of the thorpe map. they've exaggerated the parts which are easy to locate without a map(coasters), and shrunk down the smaller features which may actually be better for helping guests find where they are/want to go. If there's one thing I like about it, it's the bright colours/energy, but I generally don't know how first-time visitors will find their way around(even if it's a small enough park to guess your way around most of it)
DrReeve

This park map looks very clear and the best one we have seen in years. We can finally see the paths and how to get to each area clearly. Nice work Alton
Georgie

The new map is now up on the Alton Towers website so we now have a completely clear view of what it looks like, as well as a proper look at CBeebies Land!

http://www.altontowers.com/useful-info/theme-park-maps/
1. Helix | 2. Taron | 3. Nemesis | 4. Expedition GeForce | 5. Wodan
awsomelycoolboy

The recent maps are turning more into the ones like Thorpe park have, cluttered (although they are getting better) which doesn't really help, all it does is tell you that there is a ride here, and a ride over there, not really useful if you are trying to follow a path. Try having a go at making your own park map, and create a new topic where you could post it there and people could print it off if they think it's really good! (Tracing over a screenshot of Google maps is a good start) also has anyone else noticed that when there is a new attraction they make it twice as big as it's meant to be. Take the 2013 map for example, the smiler took up about 1/8 of the map! Now Cbeebies land has taken up most. It's not like no one won't see it.

Also, this has just come to me. What happens at the end of the season to all the un used maps? Do they get recycled into new ones?
Sr88

This year's map is good. They have returned to the Air and Nemesis designs used until 2010, which were so much better, and it seems Sonic has yet another redesign. Oblivion is still backwards and horrifically exaggerated though :( Otherwise it is good. I like the boxes around the map. These will be very useful!

And that Thorpe Park map is horrific. It made me ill when I first Saw that!
hlack_bole

lol. No matter how many park maps AT put around the park. People are still going to be confused when trying to get from Dark Forrest (aka ugland in my past obsessed mind) to Forbidden valley boycotting the skyride.
I can't believe the group I was with got lost and misdirected even though I had been to AT's many times in the past. I forgot you had to walk down, DEEP down into that gardens, and up the steps.

I think AT really need to put a sign around that opening in the trees that it leads to nowhere, and that you have to walk back. As we walked back, we were all letting others know that it goes to a dead-end if you're trying to get to forbidden valley. It was too hot to walk it so we just got the sky ride in the end.
hlack_bole

Oh and yeah, with the others, that new Thorpe park map is awful! haha. What are they thinking? Wasting all that space, exaggerating how tall the coasters are. It reminds me of when I saw the mid 1990s Oakland map with the Megaphobia woodie touching the sky almost into space.
Sr88

hlack_bole wrote:lol. No matter how many park maps AT put around the park. People are still going to be confused when trying to get from Dark Forrest (aka ugland in my past obsessed mind) to Forbidden valley boycotting the skyride.
I can't believe the group I was with got lost and misdirected even though I had been to AT's many times in the past. I forgot you had to walk down, DEEP down into that gardens, and up the steps.
Around 50% of the time when I've been the skyride has been shut for one reason or the other (I remember once it was due to a faulty bullwheel). It has to be the most unreliable ropeway I have ever known!

In one of these times I attempted to navigate through the trees. Thankfully I got lucky, and it allowed me to arrive just before the rest of the Nemesis queue did! But the map was no help at all. Google satellite views (or Bing, etc.) show a really accurate representation (unsurprisingly ;) ) of how it actually is. I was shocked when I first looked, just how different it was to the map!
stealthsmiler

I actually dont mind the walk through the gardens and prefer it to the alternative route, although I think it needs to be more clearly marked. I really dont like the exaggerated Oblivion, Thirteen looks like a completely different coaster, and why did they make Air look like an invert. But it definatley is an improvement and is somewhat representative of the park
Sr88

With that Thorpe Park map it seems that they've used straight lines all at specific angles, like you would get with a schematic transport map! :O Roller coasters are supposed to be a mash of wiggly lines, not straight lined :(

Still not a fan of the monorail and skyride on the Alton Towers map, just being plain lines.