February Half Term 2014

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Sadly the dreaded closed season is now upon us, which is about the only thing that come stop us visiting the park in every spare moment we have. However, we will once again be able to satisfy our thirst for coasters when the park reopens in February next year from the 15th until the 23rd, with the extra temporary addition of the Moshi Monsters IP.

AT have already released the ride line up, which is as follows:

•Sharkbait Reef by SEALIFE
•Duel: The Haunted House Strikes Back
•Ice Age: The 4D Experience
•Wobble World
•Hex
•Nemesis: Sub-Terra
•Air
•Nemesis
•Blade
•Sonic Spinball
•Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
•Marauder’s Mayhem
•Frog Hopper
•Runaway Mine Train
•Heave Ho!
•Gallopers Carousel

Full details on Feb Half Term can be found here
Last edited by lewis97 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan

There's a good mix of thrill and family attractions there, enough to keep everyone entertained.

I think it's good they've added N:ST to the line up as it adds another indoor attraction during what is generally one of the coldest periods of the year.

Slightly disappointed Oblivion has been left out but with all the anticipated maintenance The Smiler will be getting its understandable.
tallicay2k

Can I just ask, what is the point of opening? I'm not utterly thrilled what's open in that list.
Just another money grabbing opportunity by Merlin I imagine but I would want the park to keep closed, get as much maintenance done on all rides, spruce things up. Use the time they have to get rides fully operational and ready for the new season in March.
Last edited by tallicay2k on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
jamie.rivettcarnac

tallicay2k wrote: Can I just ask, what is the point of opening? I'm not utterly thrilled what's open in that list.
Just another money grabbing opertunity by Merlin I imagine but I would want the park to keep closed, get as much maintenance done on all rides, spruce things up. Use the time they have to get rides fully operational and ready for the new season in March.
Well it gives us staff a bit of money and us geeks a week to get over the closed season blues, so it's a good thing it's open and not just a money making thing. It's also used as a training week for new staff.
Last edited by jamie.rivettcarnac on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jon18uk

tallicay2k wrote: Can I just ask, what is the point of opening? I'm not utterly thrilled what's open in that list.
Just another money grabbing opertunity by Merlin I imagine but I would want the park to keep closed, get as much maintenance done on all rides, spruce things up. Use the time they have to get rides fully operational and ready for the new season in March.
As a lot of families do want to do something during half term and £15 for adults and £12 for children, including the chance to meet Moshi Monsters, is a pretty good deal. Most of the rides are open with a good selection for the whole family.
Last edited by jon18uk on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperWill

Well it's confirmed...more Nemmy riding for us during that event! And it will be extra special for us as next year will be Nemmy's 20th Birthday! :D

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
kierannewcombe

It's a cracking line up tbh! Nemmy is still the king after all

Credit to Lewis97
SuperWill

kierannewcombe wrote: It's a cracking line up tbh! Nemmy is still the king after all
Nemmy is the king and The Smiler is the prince! :)

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
kierannewcombe

SuperWill wrote:
kierannewcombe wrote: It's a cracking line up tbh! Nemmy is still the king after all
Nemmy is the king and The Smiler is the prince! :)
The Smiler will be the king with a few improvements! Whether Towers will do this is still unseen
Last edited by kierannewcombe on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to Lewis97
Dara

Not the best line up of rides if you ask me. Could do with an extra coaster or two even if it was just Smiler. Blackpool manage to get all their rides open in time for February, I've never understood why Towers can't (and why Thorpe never could) particualrly since BPB have more coasters requiring maintenance.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Both Nemesis: Sub Terra and Charlie have been added this year. The Feb Half Term event is mainly orientated towards younger families (hence the Moshi Monsters IP), which is why there aren't as many coasters open. Also, there are also the logistics to consider, as there is more potential for confusion if just one ride in an area is opened.
Lee

With regards to 'why aren't more rides open.' Quite frankly, I don't believe there is the demand or gate figures to justify more availability of attractions. BPP is in a prominent position, within a holiday resort and very easily accessed. Alton towers is a purpose visited resort.

Fen half term is popular, but not quite popular enough to justify such openings.
rcopus

jamie.rivettcarnac wrote: Well it gives us staff a bit of money and us geeks a week to get over the closed season blues, so it's a good thing it's open and not just a money making thing. It's also used as a training week for new staff.
It's a business, it's open to make money  :D
JammyBand

I actually think that this is a pretty great selection of rides. With Nemesis, Air, N:ST, Duel and Sonic Spinball, I would happily be entertained. For £15 this is worth it, in my opinion. Also, it does say 'Sonic Spinball' on the website, which suggests the Sega sponsorship lasts at least for 2014.
Jammydodger

I'd much prefer it if they just dedicated one area of the park for the half term.
Last year when we went Hex was broken most of the day, and the number of times we had to trawl across the park for no reason really made me appreciate how sporadic the line-up actually is.

Seeing as its primarily aimed at kids, and although it would be sad to see Nemesis get the cut, I'd personally prefer the whole of CCL, Hex, then either Rita and Th13teen, or Smiler and Oblivion.
Dan

Jammydodger wrote: I'd much prefer it if they just dedicated one area of the park for the half term.
Last year when we went Hex was broken most of the day, and the number of times we had to trawl across the park for no reason really made me appreciate how sporadic the line-up actually is.

Seeing as its primarily aimed at kids, and although it would be sad to see Nemesis get the cut, I'd personally prefer the whole of CCL, Hex, then either Rita and Th13teen, or Smiler and Oblivion.
They can't open Rita and Thirteen for Feb Half Term as these two rides need a greater deal of maintenance than most of the others.

I believe the reason Oblivion has been omitted is because of the extensive work The Smiler will need over the closed season to get it up to standard for opening weekend.
bensaund

It is a great shame about Th13teen as with only a 1.2 height requirement, it is ideal for families.
If you go down to the woods today
CoventryBee

Personally feel Thirteen would be a great addition, but it'll never happen 'cause of the yearly scheduled maintenance, I'd absolutely love it though.

It's a decent enough line up, and I'll be staying over in the hotel for it, can't wait. :)
bensaund

Premier inn are doing £29 rooms!
If you go down to the woods today
Dan

I'm tempted to do a night in the hotel and make it a 2-dayer.