Best Scare Maze 2013?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

If you had to choose one

Terror of the Towers - What Lies Within
24%
The Sanctuary
47%
Carnival of Screams
29%

Total votes: 59
Burniel

Which of the above is your favourite?

Vote and then discuss below!
Last edited by Burniel on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Ripsaw Raver

As much as I loved Carnival, The Sanctuary just amazes me all the time, I love the themeing of every room and I think the thought that went into Marmalisation has to be commended. The acting is superb as are some of the perfectly timed jump scares. Plus it has a much more visible story unlike its neighbor TotT. Dont get me wrong, I liked the maze and the finale was amazing, but had I not read up on it before and gone in not as an enthusiast I would have been left completely confused as to what happened. In fact even as an enthusiast I was left with questions. Such as are the residents Vamps as well as those in the finale, or just undead members of the Talbot family? Why is there a storage area in an building that has been uninhabited for so long and why would there be a small chapel and library in a derelict building? The body bags made not much sense either. Maybe I just missed the story, but people kept saying I was going to see The Master, who to this day I still have no idea if I met him and why I had to meet him. Dont get me wrong the themeing was top notch but the story was not clear enough.

So all in all its The Sanctuary for me, even more so though I would say The Extreme Sanctuary
Last edited by Ripsaw Raver on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
obliviongirl

I'm too much of a wuss to go in any of the mazes myself, but I'd love to hear what you guys thought of them!  :lol:
Burniel

obliviongirl wrote: I'm too much of a wuss to go in any of the mazes myself, but I'd love to hear what you guys thought of them!  :lol:
Me too! I created this topic to find out what people prefer, not to vote myself
Tom170499

I didn't go on any of the above but I did go on Zombies! Scarezone and that was great!
ThrillJunkie

Spent the weekend at Alton Towers and done all 4 mazes. In a nutshell this is what I thought

Sanctuary: It was okay. Weak story and what's with the white room with sprinklers and tickers??? The other rooms were well themed and there were a good number of actors but they were mostly "patients" and they didn't do much in order to scare. Would like to see more "Doctors" trying to "Correct you".

TotT: Good length and good theming but again no real good in depth story. All scares were the simple hide and jump scares. The ending was just the old strobe lighting trick with metal fencing which I felt didn't work. To see this effect work see the Asylum at Thorpe.

Carnival of Screams: This was by far my favorite maze. Simple but effect story and more to the scares than an actor jumping out at you. Loved the first laughing doll scene (absolutely brilliant), enjoyed the fat guy outside (best actor of the year in my opinion), Mr Dot was a great idea and worked well and the final scene worked well. I could praise this maze for hours even though i spent 1hr 30min queuing in the rain for it!)

Zombie: Scare Maze: Really??? Some of the themeing was good but there was a lot of bad. A tent with a smoke machine? A gazebo with cut up bin bags hanging from it? Not many of the actors really "acted". Very poor

Also in a different note on my way back from Alton I popped into Warwick Castle's "Haunted Castle" event. Very impressed  :D
ThrillJunkieUK
Burniel

Just to confirm, zombies is a scarezone and not a scaremaze and for that reason it has not been included :)
Zach

I voted for Carnival of screams purely because like it was said in the talk at ScareMazing, there is no real scare unless there's a good true story behind why your going into a maze, yes the Sanctuary and TotT both have this but I feel carnival's is made very clear before you're even in the park! Right from the very start where you are invited to see the carnival of freaks by the fat guy outside right through to the finale with jack nife your immersed into a story and you can believe it! Over and over again!  :p) :moj
Last edited by Zach on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neontrix

The Sanctuary again got me asking myself if I really wanted to go through the maze - and didn't disappoint me in the slightest. The detail in the maze is fantastic as well, but the sheer fear was there for me, just as it was last year.

This was the first time I had experienced the Terror of the Towers, and I was left frightened but a bit confused. The theme of this maze was hard to follow and understand - one of my friends even asked in the maze why there was a chapel in the middle of the towers. Also, what were the creatures we were running from? I sure don't know, but I was still terrified.
"We are entertainers. The fact we use concrete and steel to do our entertaining, as apposed to a piece of Shakespearean text or whatever, is... is immaterial" - John Wardley, 1997
Shutterbug

Really hard to pick between The Sanctuary and Carnival. Gone for Carnival because overall I found it more fun and enjoyable, even if I'm not a fan of Clowns! I think The Sanctuary was the scarier of the two though particularly the morgue!

The thing that I think really, really lets down Terror of the Towers is the final maze as I don't find it scary because it's just so heavy on the strobes I can't see anything at all so don't find the figures at the end frightening. Just too focused on how I can't see them whatsoever! I think it needs to be so things move more like in slow motion like they have on previous years I've been rather than getting a 0.00001 second flash of light - it's so blink and you'll miss it.
Kirsty25

Genuinely...

Zombies - Needed far more actors, so many missed opportunities for scares.

Sanctuary - pretty good, didn't scare me or make me jump at any point. I even got "picked" on by Dr Kelman for wearing my Smiler hoodie. I could tell that this was previously a free maze.

ToTT - Made me jump at the part with the curtains, and was generally slightly more creeped out by this maze. Loved the ending and came out rather disorientated.

CoS - Absolutely loved the whole thing with this maze! The photo was funny by the entire group knowing what was going to happen and one of my friends making the clown sad as they said "d for effort" as they didn't make any of us jump! Loved the first guy! Had a nice chat with Mr Spot/Dot (Animal). Everything about this screamed that it was previously a paid maze - an excellent free maze!
Vladimir Bobinski

I just got back from Alton Today, didn't go on COS having paid for it previous years, didn't really fancy the queue, I have no doubts it was a lot of fun.

Both TOtT and TS we're significantly better than their previous incarnations, the level of detail in the rooms, the atmosphere.  They were both long and varied, certain elements were the same with some subtle changes.  I think I enjoy Sanctuary more, the whole mood of it, but I can't but not be impressed by TOtT and that is where my vote goes.

Felt like a bit of a muppet as I led a group through the Sanctuary, I knew what happens in the white corridor from last time, but they started playing an audio clip saying watch the screens, so I approached what I thought was the end of that section, I stopped an did that, almost 30 seconds passed before someone shouted, keep going when I was considering that myself, I had no idea I had to carry on walking around 2 more corners to the actor that holds you up to watch the screens which I was used to previous years.  Not to sure if that was bad timing or myself over thinking the instruction.  That's the trouble with leading groups, you either do it well or end up looking silly.  :roll:
TheAdvocate123

As much as I love Terror of the Towers and The Sanctuary, the Carnival of Screams has a soft spot in my heart. It is a colorful yet terrifying experience which only gets better every year! The actors are top notch and extremely scary and always make me jump! Although it is just a yellow and red tent, the backstory is awesome. I really love Terror of the Towers and The Sanctuary is growing on me but the Carnival of Screams will always be my number 1.
Get Corrected. :evil:
Last edited by TheAdvocate123 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.