Rudeness To Staff

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Danny

jackandylan123 wrote:
danny.g97 wrote: nemesis
IT...ISN'T...NEMESIS

but really, that sounds really stupid, and I fail to see why they can't just go with what guest services said :roll:

Haha I do apologise, that was very rude of me :(
Lee

jackandylan123 wrote:
danny.g97 wrote: nemesis
IT...ISN'T...NEMESIS

but really, that sounds really stupid, and I fail to see why they can't just go with what guest services said :roll:
The Nemesis?

Anyway guys, back on topic ;)
JD1991

Be nice to the staff and nice to each other.
I'm Hilarious.
Lotty

I don't know if anyone else feels the same way, but.... I feel the staff at Alton are a lot more friendly than Thorpe Park. Alton they smile, ask you how your day is, but Thorpe Park there really is only a handful that I can say were interested in any interaction with guests.
Last edited by Lotty on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Created By Lewis97 :)

Was Thrillbaby now Lotty :)
TheOutpatient

I think one of the reasons that is, is because Towers is in the north!
I think this because, even at the service stations and Tescos in Utox people are really nice to me. I get called love and that hasn't happened anywhere else for YEARS. Yes I like it, so what  :P
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Burniel

The staff at Alton Towers are one of the things that makes it unique. From the people running the rides (happy to give you a wave from the operating box as to leave the station) to people sweeping the pathways (humming the hall of the mountain king), every member of staff is happy and cheerful and interested in your day. They like to hear you enthusiastically reeling off your ride count of the day, the listen to little kids saying that they went on Sonic Spinball and acting proud for them. They really do pull out all the stops.

I have never seen much rudeness to staff, clearly because others, like myself, think they deserve to not be abused.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
JoyfulSin

I was on park last Friday and noticed a few incidents where people were arguing with staff over the smoking rule. One man was particularly irate at the fact that he was asked to kindly smoke his e-cig in a designated smoking spot. His reply wasn't on the pleasant side, and the staff who were trying to deal with the situation were visibly upset.

However, when requesting a refill of Diet Coke at the Katanga stall, the male staff member rather abruptly told me to take the lid off, made no effort to converse with me and then slammed down the drink before turning his back to me. We all have our off days I guess!
Tom.B

Tom170499 wrote: Last month I was on Ripsaw and the entire ride was held up because a man refused to pull his OTSR down! :/ He was simply removed from the ride. The way he spoke to the poor ride attendant was appalling. I later found out that the same guy had been sat next to me on The Smiler haha
What's an OTSR? Over the shoulder restraint?

Anyway... I was on park last Wednesday, and the staff members were really nice and chatty towards me! I had a short convo with a woman running the sky ride as our gondola was coming round, the woman at The Smiler entrance was very friendly, and once again, the guy in Towers Trading was asking no end of questions about my day on park!
Last edited by Tom.B on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom170499

Tom.B wrote:
Tom170499 wrote: Last month I was on Ripsaw and the entire ride was held up because a man refused to pull his OTSR down! :/ He was simply removed from the ride. The way he spoke to the poor ride attendant was appalling. I later found out that the same guy had been sat next to me on The Smiler haha

What's an OTSR? Over the shoulder restraint?
Spot on :) 
Last edited by Tom170499 on Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daboywunda

I tend to find Alton's staff really good - More often than not they're interested in you and your day. Some-times it's a bit forced and having been asked 40 times how your day is going it gets a little tedious, but at least you can appreciate that Alton are offering a consistent service to it's guests.

Thorpe's staff on the other hand are just nothing but rude. I find them abrupt, uninterested, sharp and downright abrasive.
Jables

It's understandable that people might be rude to staff sometimes, but a lot of the time it's an issue that can't be resolved by let's say a ride assistant. Eg a power cut or a ride that has malfunctioned. I think guests need to realize that moaning at staff will only decrease their moral and overall performance.
TheOutpatient

JoyfulSin wrote: I was on park last Friday and noticed a few incidents where people were arguing with staff over the smoking rule. One man was particularly irate at the fact that he was asked to kindly smoke his e-cig in a designated smoking spot. His reply wasn't on the pleasant side, and the staff who were trying to deal with the situation were visibly upset.
I think both were at fault. The man for being so angry and the staff member for trashing his efforts to give up smoking like that.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
iBacon

TheOutpatient wrote:
JoyfulSin wrote: I was on park last Friday and noticed a few incidents where people were arguing with staff over the smoking rule. One man was particularly irate at the fact that he was asked to kindly smoke his e-cig in a designated smoking spot. His reply wasn't on the pleasant side, and the staff who were trying to deal with the situation were visibly upset.
I think both were at fault. The man for being so angry and the staff member for trashing his efforts to give up smoking like that.
I believe the Staff Member was right, yes the man was trying to give up smoking however I can hardly tell the difference between an E-Cig and a real one so they should all go to the same general area. For him to smoke in a public area also he promoting the product which is a bad thing as it is still addictive and un-healthy however that is just my opinion.
Thanks to Lewis97 for my Amazing Signature!
TheOutpatient

well I guess maybe they THOUGHT it was a real cigarette at first. When the staff member realised they probably had capacity to say "oh that's ok then" unless they have anxiety or something else that stops clear thinking.
Burniel

No, I agree with ibacon here, it advertises smoking
iBacon

I didn't mean to cause offence on my comment it's just I have strong view on any type of Cigarettes and I believe that if I went on Dragons Den and said look I have this amazing product with all different poisons and battery oil and it can make you really I'll and it has Nicotine in so you become addictive I wouldn't come away with a deal so Why do Cigarettes exist in today's society?
Thanks to Lewis97 for my Amazing Signature!
Burniel

iBacon wrote: I didn't mean to cause offence on my comment it's just I have strong view on any type of Cigarettes and I believe that if I went on Dragons Den and said look I have this amazing product with all different poisons and battery oil and it can make you really I'll and it has Nicotine in so you become addictive I wouldn't come away with a deal so Why do Cigarettes exist in today's society?
Because back when they were first brought to the UK, people thought they were healthy ...

Back on track, I believe that the staff were in the right here and that the man acted unnecessarily
Hitch

I was in the queue for Thirteen once and a guy came through the single riders with his son. The ride host told him he and his son would be split up because they are in single riders, seem obvious right? Well the guy started swearing at the ride host and eventually left because he had just completely embarrassed himself.
Im not sure if he got kicked out of the park or not but I hope he did because what he said was totally uncalled for.
aircanman

E Cigs are fine for people to smoke where they want if you ask me, the problem is some staff members in all sorts of businesses are not trained to deal with people correctly, if you think about it, people who visit Alton Towers will come from all corners of the country, and I know for a fact that people need to be dealt with in different ways, that is not something your average 18/19 year old can do without experience, at the end of the day they all need to treat customers with respect, if customers are rude and complain further, a manager needs to step in. 
TheOutpatient

its interesting, this lady just barged through the smiler que and said "that's my family is that ok?"
It wasn't mine to say because there were other people infront of her, so mathematically she needs to clear it up with each of them aswell. Twice it happened to me that day and because I try to be a good person I don't care but I am concerned with the other people that get pushed past.