How To Ride Oblivion?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Strawberry

So, here's my issue - we're off to AT for Scarefest in 3 weeks time (hooray!). I went earlier this year with my sister but for my fiancée it will be his first trip in years and our first time there together. So I really really want to go on everything with him. HOWEVER, on my first go on Oblivion in 2007, I had a really bad experience - loved the ride but my head got totally rattled and I had a banging headache for the rest of the day, neck and eye pain which totally ruined my trip. And I've not ridden it since.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for riding Oblivion comfortably, or if anyone had experienced similar?

The only was I can see is leave it til the last ride of the day...
Last edited by Strawberry on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lotty

Was it raining when you went on it? I don't know if this is a cause, but last week, we went to thorpe park and went on Saw in the morning and it was fine, went on it later on in the day when it had been raining and the head banging was unbelievable!, like you say came off with a head ache! 

The only other thing i can say is keep your head back against the head rest and don't lean your head on the restraints. Generally Oblivion should bang your head about much as there's only one turn. If this doesn't help at all and you want to go on it, leave it until last.

Created By Lewis97 :)

Was Thrillbaby now Lotty :)
Kirsty25

I guess it had been.raining as it's not something I've encountered at all with oblivion! Keep your head back and hold on.
Ripsaw Raver

I you are tall enough sit back right in the the depth of the seat, i sometimes try and make sure my restraint as some give so to speak because i look being out of control. (make of that what you will =]) which in effect gives me more movement but sitting as far back in the seat and have the restraint tight and keep your feet on the bar in front. So then bodily stress will be more well braced, when about to drop if you lean forward your head should not be in the proximity of the restraint. But i have to say all in  all i have never felt headbanging on blivvy even in the rain, maybe you just had a bad train.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
tallicay2k

No hands n just let your legs drop. Just embrace oblivion.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
nancarrow

I don't know if this true or not but it best not ride the coaster first time in the morning. May be you should wait until after midday when the coaster has warmed up and started to run more smoothly.
JammyBand

nancarrow wrote: I don't know if this true or not but it best not ride the coaster first time in the morning. May be you should wait until after midday when the coaster has warmed up and started to run more smoothly.
At least with Saw: the ride, it is definitely better to ride first thing in the morning. Usually the rides are smoother first thing, I believe.
Danny

just leave your restraint loose, hands and legs up and its brilliant :)
LoopyDan

Let your arms and legs go free like a ragdoll. It feels awesome!
Mulcracker

Wear a wooly hat/suitably afroish wig
Thorpe Towers 13

LoopyDan wrote: Let your arms and legs go free like a ragdoll. It feels awesome!
Best way to ride it!!!
hands in the air and scream!
Crafty

Even after going to Alton Towers for the last 4 years - I still find Oblivion the most intimidating and forceful ride at the park.

I'll happily walk on any ride - but Oblivion always sends that bear of fear and nervousness down my spine as I join the queue. As such I always ride Oblivion squeezing the hell out of the shoulders bars!
Jack

How to ride oblivion:

Join the queue

Queue until the airgates

Get onto the car and put the restraint down

Away you go ;)

but really, just enjoy it and don't think about it, always the best thing to do with any ride you feel fear on, then just be scared until you begin the drop, and you wonder why you were so worried
DeanGaryCox

not necessarily just to do with oblivion... but am i the only one that sticks my head out the restraints - i find it so much better so i don't hit the restraints!
Image 2014
Jack

DeanGaryCox wrote: not necessarily just to do with oblivion... but am i the only one that sticks my head out the restraints - i find it so much better so i don't hit the restraints!
on rough rides, I do
Michelle

Try and stay on topic guys, general restraint issues are not Oblivion's fault :-P

I used to be terrified of Oblivion, I used to hold onto the restraints for dear life and jam my feet against the bar in front of me to 'feel safer'! Now I've gotten over the fear I think the best way to ride is hands up, legs dangling :-D
Luce

I always ride Oblivion with my arms out and legs straight as I somehow think ths enhances the experience - I also do this on inverters and it's something I've got into the habit of doing so it comes naturally :)

Also, I have a favourite part of the train to sit which is the very end seat of either row which I think adds a little extra to the ride too :)
Alex.D

Keep the restraint as relaxed as possible. Look up instead of down and arms and legs spread out. Sit on the edge of the car too. :) It feels amazing. Especially first ride of the day.
Last edited by Alex.D on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97
Lee

Alex.D wrote: Look up instead of down and arms and legs spread out. Sit on the edge of the car too. :)
I don't suggest anyone does that as that's how whiplash injuries can happen on drop coasters. You're forced into the back of the chair as your neck is slammed down.
Flufmyhamster22

When I ride Oblivion I like to let myself go weightless. It makes for a much better ride :)
Last edited by Flufmyhamster22 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.