Ripsaw a waste of time!

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
vesty21

On park for a couple of days and what is going on with Ripsaw?? Went on last year and got 1 full flip, today it didn't flip once!! Had a more thrilling time on the sky ride!
TheOutpatient

it must be in need of a service
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
TomL

When I went in the middle of August it was the best cycle I've ever been on! I think it just differs with the ride op
Zach

I have to say at the summer sizzler I had the best cycle I've ever had, truly every time we went upside down we got soaked and went upside and flipped alot, I called it ripsaw going extreme!  :twisted:
themealgang

Huss TopSpin. Not designed for parks to be honest. I went on one at Foire Du Trone and it was incredible... just theme parks operate them on crap settings. Oh well.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
bensaund

Ramesees always seems to do more flipping (Well did). This is what I have observed on all my visits to the parks.

But I guess is is down to what setting it is on. For me Ripsaw spends too much time faffing around.
If you go down to the woods today
TheOutpatient

I think I had 3 revolutions once - I asked a ride op and he said its different every time.
Its kind of simple how it works:
The arms move it clock/anti clock wise then brakes are engaged on the gondola to hold it in an"energized" position/position where it has potential (sorry, physics terms :twisted:) then releases them - thats part 1 of how it works. This works in conjunction with:

-the braking of the arms themselves, when they stop moving the remaning force expresses its self through the "gondola" which is heavier on the bottom - this causes it to spin - that's how it seems anyhow.

The varying weight of people in the gondola means it will be different - the machine part doesn't effect it, infact science indicates that when its empty and they cycle the ride for tests, it should perform the same or very similar routine every time.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Themeparksandy1981

Can the staff still manual control it if they wanted to?
TheOutpatient

I don't think they can control each movement it makes for safety reasons but I think they have different programs/cycles they can use (e.g. long and short). It would seem kind of disposable if Huss didn't provide that.
They can definitely run it twice in one go - they did that on Rameses at Chessy once when I was on there. 

[EDIT] While I thought this would be the case for most rides, I've actually just seen a post for Top Buzz (factory name of Samurai/a ride similar to Samurai) where there is clearly controls for the speed of the 2 arms.
Last edited by TheOutpatient on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
bensaund

Top Spin 1 is too intense for me  :)
If you go down to the woods today
TheOutpatient

ha, whats it like? :P

I'm wondering if the ride is best when full! Maybe a ex ride op can verify - ex since I heard they aren't allowed on forums now.

Then again an accident when full could be worse #-o
Last edited by TheOutpatient on Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
operationguard

Ripsaw has had more repairs in the last few months that all the other rides put together :(

~Op [AT Legend]
tallicay2k

Can you imagine if you could manually operate it?
Press "constant spin mode" then sit back and relax :)
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
TheOutpatient

lol malfunction. I wonder how much it could take.
DeanGaryCox

I almost give up going on ripsaw... over the past few years, all i ever get is a breakdown (where someone too big gets on the ride and causes it to cut out in the middle of the ride), or 1 full flip, and a very short ride! that's why i love(d) rameses revenge at chessington, it gives you the basic (less intense) cycle first (which coincidently is the same as ripsaws only cycle), and then stops to allow some people off and continues with the next cycle which includes 3 full flips and actually makes it a very enjoyable ride, but ripsaw really is just pointless.

i know we hear this every year apparently but if the rumours are true that thorpe is getting a topspin themed to the likes of talocan, i really do hope they decide to run it on a decent setting - i know they want a ride to last, but sometimes the settings are just awful it's pointless even having the ride!

i'm still unsure how people have had good settings on ripsaw - i have been at least once, sometimes twice a year the last few years and have never had a good cylce, just presumed they kept it on the same tame one!
Image 2014
gee

you can make a topsipn do multi revolutions. i think alton have 9 pre-set options to choose from i think i read on here before in a topic not to different from this.

here is a vid of what can be done with a topspin and what we probably would all like a go of on our ripsaw. im sure this is in manual mode!

vesty21

gee wrote: you can make a topsipn do multi revolutions. i think alton have 9 pre-set options to choose from i think i read on here before in a topic not to different from this.

here is a vid of what can be done with a topspin and what we probably would all like a go of on our ripsaw. im sure this is in manual mode!

That's mental! Thanks for the video! Not only was it a pointless ride it lasted less than a minute and there was nobody waiting to get on :roll:
bryanycroft

The last few times I've went on it I've come off dry, except for the water fountain as you leave. It really disappointed me. Also we only went upside down once on my last visit. It's really sad because It used to be favourite ride!
Jack

gee wrote: you can make a topsipn do multi revolutions. i think alton have 9 pre-set options to choose from i think i read on here before in a topic not to different from this.

I say we all meet up and talk to the ride ops about going on manual for a while :lol: