The Smiler over closed season 13/14

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Zach

Hi there guys,
First topic but I thought quite topical as I've seen a few people saying what they want or think will happen over closed season for The Smiler and thought it'd be good to get all these thoughts together :)
  • I Personally think there will be Quite a few changes and improvements, starting with the trains! Tightening them up to stop the rattling.
  • and my other hope or thought is sorting out the track, because is it me or for a brand new ride is there to many wheel marks all over the track ? I'm not entirely sure what's causing this, track profiling? Chosen wheels ? Or the 4 row set up of the cars being to intense for the tighteness of the track layout?
Anyway please pass on your thoughts below :)
Last edited by Zach on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instant Mix

I'd love to see some new track at the exit to the cobra roll and an entire new segment for the two inverted drops- these areas make some noticeable jolts which will make the cars "Age" faster. However knowing merlin, they'll do nothing.

What I think they might do is add some more things to the first heartline tunnel. It's already looking as bad as Air's tunnel, and maybe some strobed coloured lights and lights from all directions with a few projectors ( very much like the ones in the exit corridor) would do nicely. Maybe even starting the c02 curtain before the train departs.
Dan

I think all they need to do is reprofile the jolty bits of track (first inverted drop, exit of cobra roll and roll above the shop) and find a setup for the trains which means you get the same ride quality no matter which train you get.

And then there's fix all the downtime the ride has had, but that should settle down the more running it gets.
schmatt

I think the smiler will be left as it is and in 5 years the ride will look very run down and no where near up to Altons standards. It's already not the best looking coaster and once the shine has faded it will start to look awful.

I want the station exterior to be changed completely. Its an eye sore and looks unfinished. Plaster it and give it some fake windows like we saw in the planning documents but with a more modern theme to match oblivion. Creme plaster with black windows and the occasional horizontal black line around the building, then the yellow pipes on top. Basically the rehydrator but with yellow piping
I'd also like the pit under the cobra roll to be filled with dirt and covered with grass to blend it down more, and more greenery in general around the ride so it doesn't look like its built on a multistory car park. Basically no concrete over than the queue line flooring

Change the shop sign for something more permanent looking, and add a new cover to the ride entrance with a concrete style shell to match oblivion. Add Tv's to the projection mapping room with Dr. K saying the aim of the smiler with links to oblivion, enterprise and submission being failed devices.

Add the head chopper theming in the pit that was also on the plans, these can ever be marketed as new. after all the swarm marketed new theming. Add the planned observation deck towards the top of the site and the van/ambulance theming but place this up by the toilets.

Ensure there is enough mist in the indoor section and fix or change the curtain as its pretty pathetic how it is at the moment. Add a thirteen style shutter on the track entrance to the station and on dispatch, flash white then sudden darkness while they project smiler logos all over the walls.

Change the ride hosts outfits to hospital outfits. Doctors and nurses but with white yellow and black as the colours but keep the goggles.

Basically I want a finished product visually and with a small hint of a story so it makes some sense. It doesn't have to say why there correcting people, just that they are and the marmaliser is the machine that will do this.
Last edited by schmatt on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex.D

Sold and replaced with some swiss steel. :P
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97
Hitch

When I first went on the smiler it was basically the smoothest ride id ever been on, its such a shame its ageing so quickly
tallicay2k

What will happen?....most probably nothing.

What I'd like to happen?....keep that track nice n black, paint job or just a clean up.
I may sound weird but that's wot I love about rollercoasters, the track. Oblivions and The Smilers black track are my fave.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
glen191

I think they need to look at this season and do something about the number of breakdowns, a lot more work needs to be done on the coasters systems to stop there being another season like this one. AT needs to work on getting the having fun atmosphere back instead of having lots of people warming about with long faces because the rides they really want to ride isn't running. In the last 25 years I've only missed the odd season but feel this year has been one of the worst for ride downtime the park in general needs Merlin to spend some of its millions to put the old magic back
TheOutpatient

tallicay2k wrote: I may sound weird but that's wot I love about rollercoasters, the track. Oblivions and The Smilers black track are my fave.
I'm not sure its the right word, but there is a certain 'materialistic' beauty about tracks. Even train tracks. Its ok to think that of course, its just you have to remember how its all part of a bigger picture.
Or maybe its just the sheer engineering factor when you see how it twists - its pretty expressive really, especially in with the Smiler and Saw.

To the OP:
I think at some point, maybe not this closed season, they might rough the Marmaliser up a bit as it looks very clean. I would like that aslong as its done well.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Owen

• what will, well, IMO the most likely case scenario is that it'd be on adverts next year 'new for 2014,can take the 14 inversions....backwards?!
  • I'd love for them to sort out the vibration on the flooring of the seats in the back, my feet felt quite strange after they had been vibrated for 2:45!
SmileyMan

Thrillmad wrote:
  • what will, well, IMO the most likely case scenario is that it'd be on adverts next year 'new for 2014,can take the 14 inversions....backwards?!
  • I'd love for them to sort out the vibration on the flooring of the seats in the back, my feet felt quite strange after they had been vibrated for 2:45!
The backwards thing would never ever ever happen. Especially as the ride is basically new, and its publicity is still very high. They only did that for THE SWARM because it didn't draw in the crowds. Also, THE SMILER is too intense for backwards in places, and where would they add the extra queue lines, and it would effect The Smiler's throughput time
Owen

SmileyMan wrote:
Thrillmad wrote:
The backwards thing would never ever ever happen. Especially as the ride is basically new, and its publicity is still very high. They only did that for THE SWARM because it didn't draw in the crowds. Also, THE SMILER is too intense for backwards in places, and where would they add the extra queue lines, and it would effect The Smiler's throughput time
It was a joke  ;)

I really don't think anyone will do any thing about it
SmileyMan

I personally think they will add more effects to the indoor part,as it is nothing like the advert, or the game actually. They should add some lasers or some more flashing lights all the way around, and HAVE THE BLOODY LIGHTS OFF! With smoke as well
Danny

They should add a door to the start of first lift hill to make the indoor bit pitch black. Have multi coloured lazer lights as your doing the barrel roll then come to a fast brake at the brake run. All lights go off for 5 seconds, then the orange lights burst on blinding you momentarily and the laser lights spinning round the room again, then the door opens lights reset and off you go!
Ripsaw Raver

I would just like to see some RGB LEDS in the drop area to the force of the ones in the sanc, maybe some music as well. Also the indoor walls need somthing like on the game with the smiler logos. My other main bug bare is the complete lack of the MOJ logo, I would love that to be on the front of the building with a rotating spiral on the O. Somthing that just shows what the building acttualy is. Oh and i dont know if this would work but some kind of awning on the shop entrance to block the glare from the sun so you can actually see through the floor section
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
obliviongirl

Personally I would just like to see it working when I visit [hopefully] next summer.  :lol:
JoyfulSin

I genuinely believe nothing will happen now for a good few years. Maybe a few tweaks here and there, but nothing to make people go "wow, that's incredible". Oblivion only recently had its track painted, despite it being in serious need of a repaint for a while. The Smiler will look a mess in about 3-4 years time if they do nothing now. Why is the mist so awful already? Might as well not have bothered at all.
sully1311

JoyfulSin wrote: I genuinely believe nothing will happen now for a good few years. Maybe a few tweaks here and there, but nothing to make people go "wow, that's incredible". Oblivion only recently had its track painted, despite it being in serious need of a repaint for a while. The Smiler will look a mess in about 3-4 years time if they do nothing now. Why is the mist so awful already? Might as well not have bothered at all.
I think the thread is more about structural changes than cosmetic changes to actually make the ride work the majority of the time.
bensaund

If anything it is the same in all Merlin parks, the effects work at the start of the season then they start breaking down and quite often don't get fixed at all.
If you go down to the woods today
Lee

sully1311 wrote: I think the thread is more about structural changes than cosmetic changes to actually make the ride work the majority of the time.
So long as members stay on topic, they can reply with however they interpret the question :)

Anyway, can they just knock it down? No? Okay  :x

On a serious note, I'm not so sure we'll see much change with regards to structure. The continued investment plans will already be in place, and I'd presume The Smiler's maintenance budget will already have been set. We may see some minor plastering/cosmetic/painting work, and the installation of any effects that were forgotten during the rushed construction work. But don't hold your breath for anything major.

Whilst her downtime has been appalling, so was Oblivion's when she opened. Air was also horrendous too. Rides do take a while to run in.