The Smiler over closed season 13/14

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
SwEDEN

TomL wrote: Whatever candy thinks is missing or not good, she will try her best to fix! For example, she thought the swarm was missing something and so added the billboard i think....
I would LOVE to have that kind of power! :twisted:
Deejay

There are a few bits that I think desperately need re-tracking, the drainage needs looking at as it was a swimming pool/queue line when I visited on a rainy day and the outside of the station needs an overhaul!

If it was a wish-list I would have the plaza built at the bottom end of the site, more smoke and light effects and I would black out the tunnel completely.
Burniel

Lee wrote: Everyone is within their right to give an opinion or prediction of what will happen during the closed season.
If we could however try and put some substance or reasoning behind comments, as apposed to bold statements.

Ok so I would like the smiler to be taken down due to it's dominance of the whole x sector and indeed the park. I had to go to see it once, but now I would happily see it go.

I would think that nothing will happen as merlin think they've built some sort of super machine here an won't wan up tamper with it.

My opinions and their reasonings
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Forza_Dan24

I think that during the closed season, AT will take the opportunity to have a good look at the ride's flaw's. I hope that they have taken feedback and noted information regarding every technical problem the ride has had and passed this on to Gerstlauer to have a look at. From this Gerstlauer may have come up with possible solutions such as new systems, software, re-designed parts etc.

The closed season will give them the opportunity to really test these solutions and hopefully eliminate at least some of the ride's gremlins, ideally all of them. After all, due to the popularity of this ride, what chance have they had to change much during the season? The pressure's been on during every down-time to get the ride open again ASAP so I feel that all they've probably been able to do is make small modifications and change out failed parts like for like, hoping the problem doesn't happen again any time soon.

I think that come the 2014 season we will have a better, more reliable coaster (well, we can hope so!)  :)
Smile. Always. :moj
Big thanks to lewis97 for the signature!
TheOutpatient

I was thinking about the colour scheme the other week and it occurred to me that the colour scheme of this ride is like a few things:
-Hazard lines
-Traffic light button/box
-other types of crossings
-wasps

To draw these associations added some appreciation for the ride. It made me feel like they're trying to be quite serious, like it projects the message of "Be careful and astute" rather than trying to be fake-cheerful, its just I didn't notice this until recently. It makes me wonder if they should add something like a traffic light or something that fits better than a traffic light, to tip people off unto this way of thinking.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Jamie

I'm riding The Smiler in two weeks for the first time!
I'll reserve judgement until then, but atm I would say getting rid of the infamous jolt and sorting out maintenance (so that it's actually open more than it's closed).
"ENTER VALHALLA!"
DeanGaryCox

Dan wrote: There are a few bits that I think desperately need re-tracking, the drainage needs looking at as it was a swimming pool/queue line when I visited on a rainy day and the outside of the station needs an overhaul!

If it was a wish-list I would have the plaza built at the bottom end of the site, more smoke and light effects and I would black out the tunnel completely.
is the plaza idea not possible now they changed the plans relatively last minute to build the staffordshire knot lower down - where as before the ride would have been higher up (or just that element which meant it could have stalled easier!?) with the plaza under the staffordshire knot.

____________________________________________________________________________________

the ride just needs general TLC as some of the themeing definitely feels rushed, for example if you look at the concrete area surrounding the staffordshire knot, and how untidy it looks around the edges at the top by the fencing etc.

It's obvious at least some work will be done - definitely the draining issue, but how far will merlin go? ideally they should keep to their advert and make the indoor section a bit more interesting (although i'd be more than happy if they made it pitch black, and constantly filled it with mist, as i love the strobe light, it's so disorientating!). would they realistically do any retracking to remove the jolts?

but wouldn't keep our hopes up too much for any extra visual changes apart from the general TLC which is required considering it was rushed to open and left a bit unfinished in places - and guessing that would be their priority)
Image 2014
Hello Tom

They won't do anything because it's absolutely fine, save for the jerk in the track.
ukool

What jerk? Rode it for the first time today and it felt fine to ke?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

ukool wrote: What jerk? Rode it for the first time today and it felt fine to ke?
I've found that there are three noticeable jerks: exit of first inverted drop, exit of cobra roll and entrance to first heartline.
Hitch

What I would Like to Happen:
The Smiler : I would Like to see the floor in the smiler queue Line painted grey just because I think it would look a whole lot better, I would also like the same done in the concrete pit. I would also like the drainage issues to be solved

Nemesis : I would like to see nemesis get a repaint, but a good repaint with the rusty look kept and the station repainted aswell but repainted properly for its 20th birthday.

Dark Forest: The scafolding underneath rita really needs to go.

What do I think will happen, Not a whole lot seen as they have invested so much money in The Smiler.
Evostance

I expect they will mount video cameras on the tracks.

What I'd like to see happen is:
- Sort out the supports and the falling bolts
- Make the inside part dark with strobes like on the advert.  Add some smoke in there
halso86

Nothing will happen, towers don't finish projects properly! Every ride they have put in since Merlin took over has always remained unfinished!!

Look at the Air plans for a start!!
Lee

Can we please ensure that discussion is kept to what people think may happen to The Smiler during closed season 2013-14, as that is what the topic originally suggested ;)

SamSimkin

Sort out the indoor section, add some strobes along the inversion, evil laughter, lots of smoke.
Last edited by SamSimkin on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
Danny

The indoor section has the potential to be amazing!
Now obviously if the track would be altered to hold the washing machine element that would be amazing but this is my realistic hope!
I'd like a door like th13teen to close the indoor section and make it dark. Strobes as you do the barrel roll and when you enter the brakes everywhere is pitch black. Then a voice over by dr Kellman saying something like 'now you've boarded there's no escape, the process has already begun, prepare to be marmalised!' Then the bright orange lights, or even better multi coloured led's flash, a Smiler logo lights up on the door. Then the door lifts and you continue.

Although this sounds long it wouldn't take up any more time than you usually wait on the brakes. Another positive pf having a door is so people in the queue can't see inside which I think was a mistake :)
bluesonichd

Well after the final ride of my season on Tuesday, I think they will install some nice padded cushions to the trains. -

I expected my brain to be turned to mush it was that rough  :cry:
Last edited by bluesonichd on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vladimir Bobinski

What I would like to happen.
  • Give the station a new cladding, something medical/clinical themed, perhaps white panels with fake/real windows, or a spiked effect as using in sound deadened rooms
  • Fix the drainage issue in the queue line
  • Look to hide the start of the ride a bit better in some manner, perhaps a constant thin veil of smoke effect
  • 1st half is fine, second half as a few maneuvers that need smoothing out
  • Add and improve upon the first scene
  • Implement improved queue line management of the baggage drop off
Last edited by Vladimir Bobinski on Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ripsaw Raver

Following on Vlad

Things i would like to happen..

:Flasher to actually flash
:Giggler vents to be turn to face out from the leg not forward so you get a constant cloud round the corkscrew and the 2nd air time hill.
;Some big Ministry Of Joy logo somewhere on the buidling maybe just a sign on the station wall or somthing.
;Indoor queue pen improvements- Play the optical illusions then when the marmalisation procedure begins"Optical Procedure" Have The Sanctuary Marmalisation Videos played with a little water spray to make a scream in the there. Build the tension for people outside.
;Personally i have no problems with the station. However some screens in the station wouldn't go a miss.
;Make sure the in house lights do not come on in the drop area- Red and White strobes as you drop and plenty of mist in there.
;Prelift area. Just some audio explaining that your about to be marmalised and to sit back and give your self over to joy
    First half no issues accept for the Flasher and Giggler.
  -Make it so the first row can actually see the screens at the bottom of the vertical lift.
; Second Half no problems accept the inoculator spray to be consistent.
;-Smooth obvious kinks
    Exit- Some Smiley actors in the exit line would be nice. Maybe a smiler themed Mirror maze.
Shop-Love it already but sort out the viewing area, Surely clear surface with an awning over the shop entrance to stop sun glare.
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
Senator

This is what I would like to see happen ready for the 2014 season.

The trains.. Need to be Lap Bars in my opinion and try and make them smooth. The 1st row is excellent, the rest TORTURE!

The station.. Needs a new station.. It's boring and dull

Marmaliser.. Needs all features to work constantly! It lacks the feeling I was hoping for...

Queue Line.. Extend it and make it like the rest! It's a bit dull and not interesting (I like queues to be interesting aswell)

Track.. Just remove the jolts by replacing that part of track. Simples

Thanks NickiFan