CBeebies Land

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Sr88

Chaz wrote:If softs did occur today they wouldn't have put it on ridetimes, it would cause chaos amongst the children.
It surely would be more chaotic tests than softs though :O

But I was very confused when I saw the queue times on!!

It's such a shame that Squirrel Nutty is no longer Squirrel Nutty :( For me it will always be The Squirrel Nutty Ride, and I will always remember the old squirrel / nut cars they used to have! True classics.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

CBeebies Land did open towards the end of the day for the media event, so that may have been why the rides were listed as open on RideTimes.
flange

There is lots of photos of Cbeebies Land on the Alton Towers Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 200&type=1
smiler983

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 030&type=1

Heres mine from today. What a fantastic place I think they have a winner on there hands here.
Sr88

Wow! Some things really do look very impressive.

But I do hate to think how much licence payer money got used for all of this :O
Rocket

POVs of Postman Pat, magical boat ride and Get set go are now online on youtube:
stealthsmiler

They have done an amazing job. Really good. Although they could have kept the bookworm.
Inferno Attractions

I MISS OLD MACDONALD'S FARMYARD!!!
Thanks to lewis97 for the signature (I think he may be a Wizard)

Inferno Attractions
Benb

Sr88 wrote:But I do hate to think how much licence payer money got used for all of this :O
If you're talking about the BBC licence payer's money I doubt they'd be paying for any of this. Stands to reasons that AT would be paying the BBC for the IP and also for the construction seeing as they're the ones to benefit from it...

If however you're talking about AT paying for the licence then yes I'm sure it is eye wateringly expensive - wasn't CATCF's licence fee £4mil or something like that?
fabiasimon

hi all,

visited Alton Towers yesterday with my daughter who is just 7. We are regular visitors to the towers and have had annual passes for 3 years. She still watches cbeebies but granted is just at the age where CITV is starting to be watched too.
Well she saw the advert for cbeebies land and couldn't wait to go. On first arrival the area looks impressive, nice and bright and a good job done by all staff at renovating this area. After a few hours in the area my daughter looked at me and said ''Daddy, everything is exactly the same, they have just painted everything''.
I laughed at her when she said this but in my opinion she summed it up very well.
Overall a great looking area of the park however if like my daughter and I. You have been in old macdonalds farmyard reguarly you might be dissapointed, particuarly if paying full price to enter.
robbob1991
Location: A Computer, A Room, A House, A Road, A Town, A County, A Country, A Planet, A Galexy, A Universe.

Wait, let me get this right, I thought when the news that this was being done broke, they said all the animals would be staying? I can't see any mention of them anywhere, well the only thing is that Granville and George are at Chessington. So have all the guinea pigs, rabbits, ferrets, chickens, duck and chicken hatchery all gone to Chessington aswell, or have they moved to a new area in the park?
I used to love, even at my age, spending a hour looking at the animals each visit. It would be a major shame if they have all gone.
aircanman

I think many people have completely forgotten that they have just given the area a lick of paint with a BBC theme, looking at some of the POVs which have appeared online it looks like some areas are extremely poor as well!

What gets me the most is Drayton Manor's success story is Thomas Land, Paultons Park has also done really well with the addition of Peppa Pig World, there is an obvious link between children's TV shows and theme parks, not only to keep the guests happy, but to bring in the big bucks for the businesses.

Thomas Land cost millions, and was a brand new area, everything was new, Peppa Pig World was created with brand new rides, scenery in a new area of the park, with massive investments from independent parks, yet Merlin, the multi billion pound corporation could only manage a re-theme? I think we have been scammed!
jon18uk

aircanman wrote:I think many people have completely forgotten that they have just given the area a lick of paint with a BBC theme, looking at some of the POVs which have appeared online it looks like some areas are extremely poor as well!

What gets me the most is Drayton Manor's success story is Thomas Land, Paultons Park has also done really well with the addition of Peppa Pig World, there is an obvious link between children's TV shows and theme parks, not only to keep the guests happy, but to bring in the big bucks for the businesses.

Thomas Land cost millions, and was a brand new area, everything was new, Peppa Pig World was created with brand new rides, scenery in a new area of the park, with massive investments from independent parks, yet Merlin, the multi billion pound corporation could only manage a re-theme? I think we have been scammed!
Yet Thomas Land is largely off-the-shelf rides with fibreglass train shells on the cars, there might be a lot of new hardware but there isn't a great deal of originality. Look at the bits of CBeebies Land that aren't rethemes, Mr Blooms Allotment looks amazing and is based around actors not ride hardware, Big Time Show is brand new and has shows and meet and greets, Nina's Science Lab is new and something more like a Science Museum exhibit than a theme park ride. CBeebies Land is more about learning through play than just a chance to ride something themed to a character and i think Alton Towers / BBC Worldwide have pulled this off. The rethemed items I think do suit the show they represent and why demolish perfectly good ride hardware just to replace it? Postman Pat is also all new, despite being a similar concept to the tractors.

Not that I am saying Thomas Land is worse, it is just gone about in a different way. Nickelodeon Land at BPB is much worse though, I couldn't see much theming or interaction at all just very very loose themes on each ride and again 3 of the rides were just renamed really.
Themeparksandy1981

The big different is Thomas land and Peppa Pig World are the parks main areas of the park but Alton Towers know the coasters are there main target for guests. I have no plans to take my nearly 2 year old to Alton Towers as I don't want to pay £48 to just go on the kids rides.
jon18uk

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:The big different is Thomas land and Peppa Pig World are the parks main areas of the park but Alton Towers know the coasters are there main target for guests. I have no plans to take my nearly 2 year old to Alton Towers as I don't want to pay £48 to just go on the kids rides.
Kids under 4 go free and if you got a Kellogg's voucher then only pay £36 for an adult and a child. I really don't think anyone pays £48 as vouchers or book online. Same with Drayton Manor, I don't expect many actually pay £36.

Thomas Land never was the big feature at Drayton Manor, Apocolypse & Shockwave used to be and they went more after family thrill rather than small kids. I expect Drayton Manor to invest more in thrill for a while now to prevent Thomas being their main feature.
aircanman

I've just seen on the Alton Towers Guide that they are doing timed tickets for the in the night garden ride on the 9th June, what I don't understand is how is the place so busy?! - Children are in school so this leaves the under 3's who don't go to school, or the kids in comprehensive schools doing GCSEs
aircanman

jon18uk wrote:
aircanman wrote:I think many people have completely forgotten that they have just given the area a lick of paint with a BBC theme, looking at some of the POVs which have appeared online it looks like some areas are extremely poor as well!

Yet Thomas Land is largely off-the-shelf rides with fibreglass train shells on the cars, there might be a lot of new hardware but there isn't a great deal of originality. Look at the bits of CBeebies Land that aren't rethemes, Mr Blooms Allotment looks amazing and is based around actors not ride hardware, Big Time Show is brand new and has shows and meet and greets, Nina's Science Lab is new and something more like a Science Museum exhibit than a theme park ride. CBeebies Land is more about learning through play than just a chance to ride something themed to a character and i think Alton Towers / BBC Worldwide have pulled this off. The rethemed items I think do suit the show they represent and why demolish perfectly good ride hardware just to replace it? Postman Pat is also all new, despite being a similar concept to the tractors.

Not that I am saying Thomas Land is worse, it is just gone about in a different way. Nickelodeon Land at BPB is much worse though, I couldn't see much theming or interaction at all just very very loose themes on each ride and again 3 of the rides were just renamed really.
I see where you are coming from, but I disagree with a few things, I haven't seen CBeebies land yet so can't really be 100% sure, but when you say things are actor based, usually this means the actors will end up being replaced or just not being there in the future, when the rides and attractions start to get less popular, and while I think learning through play is a great idea, big projectors and screens are nothing for Alton Towers, this is stuff they probably have in a storage shed.

After seeing a POV of ITNG ride I am surprised there is so little animatronics, they could have done so much more with this, it could have been amazing, but it looks pretty poor, as does the postman pat ride, nice concept, but it's just fibreglass shells on the tractors! - I still think Thomas Land and Paulton's have really done the right thing, superbly themed rides and attractions, proper investments and dedication to the brand, only time will tell, but I still think we have been short changed by Alton.
jon18uk

Postman Pat is an entirely new ride system, nothing is left from the old tractors except fencing. The actor lead experiances are things like Mr Blooms Garden and the Big Fun Show, they can cut down on the number of shows on quiet days but I wouldn't see them getting rid at all.

I don't think there are any rides with fully working Anamatronics in Thomas Land either?
stealthsmiler

Thomas land has a lot of generic/common rides that a themed to the area and have no interaction whatsoever, Cebeebies Land has some more original and include a lot of interactive features. Plus there was no point in tearing everything down just to rebuild it, it is just a waste of money.

Also as it is aimed at under 8s many wont remember or have even been to Old McDonalds farm so it will look good to them. I just wish that they did keep the animals are they would have easily been made to fit in (The attraction which feature the animals not the actual animals) and would have made a great interactive lesson for the kids.
Dom

http://www.altontowers.com/timed-ticketing/

More information regarding the timed tickets.

And the bit that concerns me is the fact that you can only access the queue line by having the timed ticket. That seems highly unfair to other guests