New video Q & A with John Wardley

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
TheOutpatient

Watching this video right now  8)
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Jack

^ seen it, interesting how he goes on about how much he's tried to talk Merlin into getting a woodie...MERLIN, LISTEN TO THE LEDGEND!!!
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I also picked up on a sense that he was slightly frustrated with how the rides were becoming gimmicky, because they were expected to have some sort of unique feature, otherwise they wouldn't even be considered. This is something which was evident through his comparison of The Smiler and Nemesis, and how he said Nemmy actually 'took you on an adventure' whereas The Smiler is just one inversion after another.
TheOutpatient

he's quite funny, talking about dishing the dirt with 1 eyebrow raised, haha. Obviously he was joking..
What I picked up is that he definitely does believe in the AT team and woodies. I think he should buy a field next to AT (which ever has the least restrictions) and build a woodie on it - open it for an hour after AT closes so people can get 1 last ride before they go home. I'll admit, I've not thought about a single ride concept deeply but I don't know why it wouldn't work - I know people have done it with travelling fair rides, but what about a proper well themed permanent ride? and maybe a restaurant so people could have dinner? No one wants to go straight home, would be a nice segue.

Was amazed to here about a Wallace and Gromit woodie - would have been very 'cute'.
Last edited by TheOutpatient on Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Deejay

I am amazed how much information they got out out of him! Some of them asking the questions are my mates too!

Some things really stood out to me.

*The valley woodie concept is very much still alive.
*KC B&M Stand-Up with a giant underground tunnel (B&M WingRider would be nice in KC)
*The new marketing guy is the best thing that has happened to AT for a long time (i smell wood)
*By keeping the unique selling point of the Smiler a secret until the final weeks before opening, has proved to Nick Varney that he doesn't need a USP to market a kick-ass coaster!

Very good progress, I believe we haven't yet seen the last of JW!
Last edited by Deejay on Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheOutpatient

I hope not Dan - I was very surprised to hear Candy Holland and such had been working on a woodie.

His retirement gives him opportunity to work in much less formal ways, like with his book
And I'm pretty sure we'll love whatever he can give us however small.

Like everyone does when talking about woodies, I'm totaly suffering from slang/euphamisms here - so apologies for that, I don't really have time to rephrase :D
Combichrist

Very cool link outpatient, great interview that! I don't think he's overly pleased with the smiler reading between the lines.
TheOutpatient

Yes, I got that aswell, either he is not fully pleased or he accidentally phrased it wrong when he was saying atleast with Nemeisis you feel you are achieving something. I want to know more!
themealgang

Great interview. I did smile when he talked about the woodie just being 'a great ride' when trying to pitch the idea and Merlin having non of it. How frustrating and demoralising that must have been! It's not all about being the first in the world to do something unique (even though The Smiler is actually the best ride to be built at Alton Towers in over a decade) I'm sure the public could be sold on just a good, solid coaster. Looks like Wardley actually has an enthusiasts head within him!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
TheOutpatient

lol - he must do - back in the day he worked at Barry Island, so I think that taught him the names of ride systems and such.

I must say I'm really starting to tune into this woodie fascination. I've still not been on one, but hearing John's support for the idea makes me think there is more to a woodie than the track layout...for one, all that wood probably creates a certain atmosphere - and he was talking about how there's many ways to theme it (now I'm thinking about renaissance fare woodie but back on topic...) I think it would be cool to see any visuals they might have come up with.