Project 42 (Nemesis Sub-Terra)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
KoasterKing 205

Tom170499 wrote:
KoasterKing 205 wrote:
lewis97 wrote: Hex has been open over this weekend. However, I imagine that had Sub-Terra been part of the 2018 ride line-up, it would have remained closed for the reason you give.
Well I don't see how. If they open Hex, then they'd sure open N:ST. They wouldn't open 1 indoor ride then not open another, but I don't know. It's a shame that N:ST isn't opening this year. Hope it opens in 2019...
Rides such as Duel we’re closed over the weekend due to the risk of falling trees with the wind. This would have closed N:ST too.
Yeah I guess, through I did read when N:ST was opened in its debut year, that they felled back the trees surrounding the ride.
Tom170499

KoasterKing 205 wrote:
Tom170499 wrote:
KoasterKing 205 wrote: Well I don't see how. If they open Hex, then they'd sure open N:ST. They wouldn't open 1 indoor ride then not open another, but I don't know. It's a shame that N:ST isn't opening this year. Hope it opens in 2019...
Rides such as Duel we’re closed over the weekend due to the risk of falling trees with the wind. This would have closed N:ST too.
Yeah I guess, through I did read when N:ST was opened in its debut year, that they felled back the trees surrounding the ride.
It was more the paths to Forbidden Valley. 
KoasterKing 205

Tom170499 wrote:
KoasterKing 205 wrote:
Tom170499 wrote:
It was more the paths to Forbidden Valley. 
Aw ok. I think they should cut down more trees for safety reasons.
Wolverine0492

On the official map printed in the sun to go with the free tickets, there is no N-ST listed. Hex and Blade are
Dan

Wolverine0492 wrote:On the official map printed in the sun to go with the free tickets, there is no N-ST listed. Hex and Blade are
That’s because Nemesis:Sub-Terra is SBNO this year, and is unlikely to ever reopen.
KoasterKing 205

Dan wrote:
Wolverine0492 wrote:On the official map printed in the sun to go with the free tickets, there is no N-ST listed. Hex and Blade are
That’s because Nemesis:Sub-Terra is SBNO this year, and is unlikely to ever reopen.
Why is it unlikely to ever open? There's no evidence to suggest that. 
Dan

KoasterKing 205 wrote: Why is it unlikely to ever open? There's no evidence to suggest that. 
There is no hard evidence, it’s just my opinion.

This year marks the third full year that it will be SBNO, which is a long time for any ride hardware to be sat dormant, so even if they wanted to re-open it, it would take a lot of time and money to get it to an operational standard.

When it comes to money, let’s not forget that N:ST was a massively labour intensive attraction, and the overall experience was continuously being diluted through actor removal, before its restraint-related closure in 2015.

I have always said I would like to see it re-open but I think, if Towers were planning on re-opening it, they would have done so by now.
KoasterKing 205

Dan wrote:
KoasterKing 205 wrote: Why is it unlikely to ever open? There's no evidence to suggest that. 
There is no hard evidence, it’s just my opinion.

This year marks the third full year that it will be SBNO, which is a long time for any ride hardware to be sat dormant, so even if they wanted to re-open it, it would take a lot of time and money to get it to an operational standard.

When it comes to money, let’s not forget that N:ST was a massively labour intensive attraction, and the overall experience was continuously being diluted through actor removal, before its restraint-related closure in 2015.

I have always said I would like to see it re-open but I think, if Towers were planning on re-opening it, they would have done so by now.
Yeah, but then if you think about. If they were to remove it, then they would've done so by now. It's hanging in that 50/50 zone, it could go either way, but for a ride that's only 6 years old & £4 million, not to mention the connection it has to 1 of AT's best rides (Nemesis), it would be a massive let down to throw it away. AT is lacking in flat rides enough as it is & removing N:ST would be like shooting themselves in the foot in a sense.

I went on the ride in 2014 (only once) & it didn't appear to be diluted with actors. And restraint problem? I don't see anything saying that at all. But it's ironic how it seemed to close so conveniently around the time The Smiler crashed. I also think for a drop tower ride, that it wouldn't take that long for it to be operational, whose to know they haven't been testing the ride in secret? You just simply never know. But I'm still hoping for something...
Robert.W

KoasterKing 205 wrote:Yeah, but then if you think about. If they were to remove it, then they would've done so by now. It's hanging in that 50/50 zone, it could go either way, but for a ride that's only 6 years old & £4 million, not to mention the connection it has to 1 of AT's best rides (Nemesis), it would be a massive let down to throw it away. AT is lacking in flat rides enough as it is & removing N:ST would be like shooting themselves in the foot in a sense.
Not necessarily. Removing it would cost money. Money that Merlin won't give to Towers, and money that Towers certainly doesn't already have. It's easier to leave it to rot, let it look old and dilapidated and then [possibly] demolish whatever is left. 

Dan

KoasterKing 205 wrote:
I went on the ride in 2014 (only once) & it didn't appear to be diluted with actors. And restraint problem? I don't see anything saying that at all. But it's ironic how it seemed to close so conveniently around the time The Smiler crashed.[/size]
The actors/number of ride hosts gradually reduced over the time it was open. The baggage hold opened with two staff but was on one when it closed. The strobe “maze” section at the end originally had two actors in but none when it closed. Even the number of hosts batching reduced over the years.

There was quite a well documented issue with the restraints which resulted in them being modified. It was established that smaller people could get out of the restraint even when it was lowered, so Merlin had them adjusted to reduce the risk of that happening. A result of that adjustment was the restraints were so much more sensitive, and people of a larger frame, who had no issues riding pre-adjustment, were struggling to comfortably fit.

I do believe though that the Smiler incident was a factor in closing it at the time that it did. With all the problems the ride was having, it was an easy way for Merlin to save some money in what would turn out to be the most difficult period in the parks history.
KoasterKing 205

Robert.W wrote: Not necessarily. Removing it would cost money. Money that Merlin won't give to Towers, and money that Towers certainly doesn't already have. It's easier to leave it to rot, let it look old and dilapidated and then [possibly] demolish whatever is left. 
Well they can't just let it rot. Money or not if they were to do it they would've, same as opening. I mean I search on twitter all the time about N:ST & it seems nobody has forgotten about the ride let alone dislike it. So either it'll be a case of either reopening it or demolishing it, either way it's going to get to that stage where people will eventually question why it hasn't opened, not to mention new people who've never been to AT at all, will even ask what ride it was. They can't simply leave it there without a yes or no decision being made.
Dan wrote:
The actors/number of ride hosts gradually reduced over the time it was open. The baggage hold opened with two staff but was on one when it closed. The strobe “maze” section at the end originally had two actors in but none when it closed. Even the number of hosts batching reduced over the years.

There was quite a well documented issue with the restraints which resulted in them being modified. It was established that smaller people could get out of the restraint even when it was lowered, so Merlin had them adjusted to reduce the risk of that happening. A result of that adjustment was the restraints were so much more sensitive, and people of a larger frame, who had no issues riding pre-adjustment, were struggling to comfortably fit.

I do believe though that the Smiler incident was a factor in closing it at the time that it did. With all the problems the ride was having, it was an easy way for Merlin to save some money in what would turn out to be the most difficult period in the parks history.
Well I simply don't re-call it being like that the day I went. But I can't find nothing about restraint issues on the net about N:ST, not to mention the whole "ABC Rides has gone bankrupt" bs which isn't true given there's no evidence to support it. 
But The Smiler incident must've made them think to shut the ride down as a result of cost cutting during a bad period. But that doesn't change the fact that a fairly new ride is standing but not operating, it's too good to shut down. one way or another it has to re-open or else be demolished. 
Last edited by Dan on Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post
Robert.W

This tweet might be of some interest. Possible that it could reopen before / in time for Scarefest?

TheBeornen

That's pretty interesting, hopefully it's open over summer to soak up some of the crowds.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
Dungeon-X-Smile

I hope it does, but I'm still very skeptical... Wasn't it shut for being unsafe or something? That said, I'd love Alton Towers to repair and reopen it because it was a fantastic attraction and I'd love to get a chance to do it again, especially after becoming so much more engulfed in the backstory of Nemesis. 
Justin

There have been many rumours surrounding Nemesis: Sub Terra. Rumours include parts being used for Drop Dead at London Dungeons, it being stripped out completly, the building being used for a scare maze and the ride itself being tested for its yearly 'MOT'.

Along with Dan, I actually rode the ride on the last day of operations, if not the last ride, and they were having serious problems with the new restraints which were installed. The lap bar had flaps which pushed against the riders thighs. I beleieve this caused problems for some guests and the bars were not registering as locked. Eventually, they were able to start the ride safely, but it took a good 15 minutes or so, with some guests leaving the ride.
Bert

What I don't understand is that this ride system is supposedly is the same as Drop Dead at Blackpool and London but they work completely fine but this system is the most troublesome and Sub Terra is at a theme park not a midway. Sounds odd to me. 

It sounds to me as if they want it to reopen because it wasn't announced to close for good when Ripsaw and The Flume were yet it wasn't closed for the reasons that Hex was. All the ride theming and queueline is exactly the same now as it was prior to it's closure in August 2015 just without the signage.

And they used the Phalanx in Scarefest 2016 as part of one of the scare zones. And I believe the Phalanx symbol is on one of the shipping containers for Sub Species? At least it was for Operation Lockdown.
[Insert Signature Here]
Swarm Chris

London Dungeon had issues with theirs for a bit a little while ago, so I'm not sure it's just that the Alton one that has issues. But the Dungeon ones will have a higher priority as it's a fairly significant loss for them.

Interestingly it was expected that they would install a haunted house drop tower at Legoland, but have gone for a madhouse instead. So this ride system may have fallen out of favour with Merlin.
KoasterKing 205

There have been many rumours, all of which have no evidence to support them. On of the only plausible theories is they stopped the operation of the ride because of cut backs in staff & actors. Which obviously costs the park money to hire them. Because of The Smiler crash & the major drop in guests attending, they most probably halted operation of the ride to save money during the difficult time period. 

That tweet seems promising, though I do hope that means the ride is coming back, it's too good of a ride to simply demolish given its backstory & theming!

But a Scarefest opening would be ace!
Robert.W

There were some issues with the restraints, which I'm sure had some bearing on wether they chose to keep the ride open. I think The Smiler accident was maybe just the final nail in the coffin, with them wanting to save money etc.

KoasterKing 205

Robert.W wrote:There were some issues with the restraints, which I'm sure had some bearing on wether they chose to keep the ride open. I think The Smiler accident was maybe just the final nail in the coffin, with them wanting to save money etc.
Yeah but I can't see or find anything about that though. Even still I don't get why they couldn't just get it sorted sooner instead of dragging there feet with hints, maybes & I don't knows. 

This ride has been idle for far too long.