Project 42 (Nemesis Sub-Terra)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Robert.W

I have always had a feeling that Sub Terra possibly closed because the theme of something going wrong on a ride wouldn't appeal to people after The Smiler accident... but it has been closed perhaps too long for this to be the case.

Hazard

I agree with the post a few pages ago about the VR headsets, I think this would really be a cool way to re-invent the attraction, I know it would be at a cost to do it all in VR but would attract more visitors and in theory you would have less actors if its all in VR anyway. 
Sawboss

For me the VR is the weakest part of Galactica and DBG so to see it shoe horned into another ride would be a big waste of money. You'd still need actors to get people into the ride and seated, but with the added time for them to walk around and check everyone has their head set on correctly. Also I can see everyone's head sets plopping off at the bottom of the sudden drop since if their not expecting it they won't be holding them in place...
Justin

VR would not be an option on this ride. Especially on the drop!
978george

Hello people.

I believe Nemesis:Sub-Terra will return and I would love to see that as I'm one of the few that really enjoyed it. However, since The Smiler incident the queues at Alton Towers have been extremely good for the public and with SW8 opening next year I'm expecting a big increase in queue times and if AT were to open N:ST I believe the park will become busier again.

More on the side of what I think will happen to Nemesis:Sub-Terra:

1. Reopen in 2018
2. I strongly believe VR has been added to the ride due to the fact it’s the latest thing and to add to the ride experience
3. I think the end maze section will be removed to cut costs on actors 
Last edited by Dan on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Grammar
Robert.W

I'm not sure how efficient VR would be on a ride like Nemesis Sub Terra... would slow the whole experience down, may require even more staff, and is yet another element that will inevitably have technical problems. 
As for reopening in 2018, I'd love to think so, but I'm a bit unsure. It would of course be good to see it reopen, but as has been mentioned before, Alton will likely want to focus on SW8. I'm more convinced that it will reopen in 2019, once they have got SW8 up and running.

Bert

I'm just waiting for the TLC account to post '#yourworstnightmareundeground' in January. Like what was done with Hex's reopening.

But I think Nemesis Sub Terra will see a bit of TLC and a bit of a subtle change in the attraction, eg Designed to run less staff. 

We know something has been done with Sub Terra as we have heard things going on inside the ending early 2017 season, And the egg appearing in the SW videos. Plus it's still on the AT website.

EDIT: Never noticed the 360 degree video link on the webpage,The link doesn't work though. That's odd. Anyone remember this? 
[Insert Signature Here]
Tom170499

Bert2theSpark wrote:We know something has been done with Sub Terra as we have heard things going on inside the ending early 2017 season, And the egg appearing in the SW videos. Plus it's still on the AT website.
There was also some merch on sale in Towers Trading this season. I very much doubt this ride has been abandoned.

It would make sense for them to reopen it this year as 1. It’s something they can market (like they did with the whole “back for 2017” thing with Hex) on top of SW8 and 2. The park will be inevitably busier if SW8 is a success, meaning it will help with queue time management.

At the minute, £55 for 7 big roller coasters, a mine train, a poor ghost train and a rapids ride that doesn’t get you wet seems to be poor value for money. The park is desperate for the return of themed, immersive attraction, so a return of N:ST would be welcomed by myself and many others.
Bert

Yeah, with the way they've been going the past couple of years; with Air's retheme, Nemesis' and Hex's refurb, the Cbeebies Land additions and SW8 upcoming, they've been emphasising on story driven, themed and immersive experiences. I'm sure the reopening of N:ST will come under this identity the park is going for.
[Insert Signature Here]
978george

I don't know if this has been pointed out yet, however, a few months back someone tweeted on Twitter "Will Nemesis Sub Terra ever operate again?" The reply was "It's not on our 2017 line up but keep your eyes peeled for 2018" I believe.

Could this mean N:ST will reopen for 2018? Hopefully, yes! It will help the park with queues if SW8 is a success.
Last edited by Justin on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Robert.W

978george wrote:I don't know if this has been pointed out yet, however, a few months back someone tweeted on Twitter "Will Nemesis Sub Terra ever operate again?" The reply was "It's not on our 2017 line up but keep your eyes peeled for 2018" I believe.

Could this mean N:ST will reopen for 2018? Hopefully, yes! It will help the park with queues if SW8 is a success.
Yeah, that was mentioned on the last page. It certainly does give us some hope for the rides future although, as Alton Towers never actually removed the ride from their website, I think it is likely that they do plan on running it again some time in the future anyway.
Link to the tweet: https://twitter.com/altontowers/status/886931133556027392

978george

Exactly. To be honest, ATR wouldn't leave a ride that is not ever going to reopen on there website will they? I believe it shall return for 2018 with great hope TLC has been done on this attraction and the ride is on the 2018 line up. I reckon around January/February time we will start to hear what's really going on with the attraction.
#yourworstnightmareunderground
TheBeornen

I hope this ride comes back, I never got to ride it originally as I was too scared to go on what was called, “the first ever attraction at a park that’s had too be rated by the British film & entertainment board” by the news.

Are there any links to videos going through the ride? I’ve seen the drop part and the elevator but I didn’t know there was a bit with actors until coming onto this forum.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
978george

TheBeornen wrote: Are there any links to videos going through the ride? I’ve seen the drop part and the elevator but I didn’t know there was a bit with actors until coming onto this forum.
https://youtu.be/lK234OQmUYo
TheBeornen

Thank you! That looks like a fun ride, hopefully they do bring it back for the 2018 season.
Reassess your modern lives and ignite your senses.

The Wicker Man comes for us all.

Be Chosen...
tedoshay

I probably wouldn't hold your breath for a 2018 opening for N:ST. There aren't any signs of actors being advertised on the website and if they were to be employing actors, the "pool" would probably be used for WickerMan instead. It's probably more realistic to expect a return in 2019 once the attendance for this year is known and whether there is any money allocated or value added in opening the ride again. After-all, if you look at SAW Alive at Thorpe, that went downhill pretty quickly. There's no point wasting money on a ride that rarely has a queue... When was the last time any-one said "Oh, I went to Alton Towers JUST to ride N:ST?" It's a supplement attraction, not a headliner...
I'd also expect to see something happen with the Charlie and / or Ice Age site(s) next year as the "new development"
_______
I've been here before in a different life... don't be fooled by what you see, silent assassins don't make themselves known :)
Dom

It could be that they have been working on it to reduce the number of actors needed to 0 and therefore they wouldn't need to advertise for actors. They could have even been working on it without anyone noticing because all eyes have been on Wicker Man. Its also entirely possible that it could have been removed. Highly doubtful but its all entirely possible as no one actually know what the hell is going on with this attraction. There are so many rumours flying around that its hard to believe what is true and what isn't. I hope it reopens as its rather sad just seeing it stood there.
Ladyofthelake

I wouldn't read too much into the fact that Towers haven't advertised for actors specifically for Sub Terra as normally the Resort put out a general casting call for their Entertainments Team then allocate performers from there. However, I think what it will depend on is unfortunately what so many things come down to - budget. If Towers want Sub Terra to re-open, then not only do they need to allocate the money to ensure the technical element of it is working, but also budget for the staff costs. Even if they run it with zero actors, they will still need staff in batching, baggage hold, safety checks, ops booth etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it perhaps open mid-season, however at the same time I also wouldn't be surprised to see it remain closed for another year. Whilst I've never been its biggest fan, it will be a shame if it remains SBNO for another season as it does work as a filler attraction and with the Resort now lacking so many flat rides its N:ST's abscence is all the more keenly felt.
Robert.W

I think that the actor thing makes this quite a tricky thing for Alton Towers to solve. That is if they don't want to spend the money on actors anyway.

Nemesis: Sub Terra is an experience - the ride itself is only a small part of it - so when you remove other aspects of the experience, as a whole, it has less value, and makes less of an impression on guests. Removing the actors from Nemesis: Sub Terra would make the experience considerably less enjoyable and the story very unconvincing to the everyday park guest. The experience simply wouldn't be able to effectively tell its story with normal Alton Towers ride staff intervening here and there doing restraint checks, batching guests etc. (one way they could minimise this could be that they still get the staff to wear the costumes, a bit like they do at The Smiler).

Whilst it really is a shame to see such an inventive and unique experience sitting SBNO, if they don't have the budget to operate it to its maximum potential, I'd actually rather they kept it closed until they do want to / are able invest in it. 

tedoshay

You could read into the fact that there isn't even a pool allocated for N:ST at the moment for actors to be allocated to it... That pool is being used for Wicker Man. So unless they are going to make it an actor-less experience I'd not get your hopes up, based on recruitment pages, social media etc.
_______
I've been here before in a different life... don't be fooled by what you see, silent assassins don't make themselves known :)