Project 42 (Nemesis Sub-Terra)

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Ripsaw Raver

Ill be honest I personally think it is undergoing refurb however I think that SubTerra will be there next VR stunt..that could actually be good... Theme it look like you have to wear saftey visors or somthing, Then you really could have something "Attack" you.. I really do hope that we do not loose SubTerra because there are very few UK rides that really tell a story through experience with the exception of Hex
TheDuke

I don't think its currently getting refurbished however I do think it will be a main feature of TLC next year. As for the VR its a good idea but I dont think the ride is going to get anything more added on to it
jaybee85

Though not necessarily a go-to experience for me, I quite like what they did with Sub-terra, and I think that attractions like that do have their place in the park for sure. If they were going to do anything to it, I'd maybe want them to bring the story a little more in line with the original Nemesis story (I assume pretty much everyone in this formal has seen the film they made for that in the early nineties), and then have it act as more of a pre-show than a stand-alone attraction. If it becomes a sort of 'extra' to the main ride, then people who experience it for the first time are far less likely to be disappointed with it when it's not what they expected. Because of where it is positioned, i.e. before you enter Forbidden Valley proper, you would go through this part and hear and feel the monster before you see it when you come out and turn the corner, and the sculpture would have much more impact that way (It's a psychological technique used a lot in horror films to tease one sense at a time, with vision last). Would you believe that some people don't even really acknowledge the giant pink thing in the middle, they are just interested in the ride itself, which is a shame. But considering how much they spent on sub-terra (did they all it a 'medium term investment I think?) I think it will be around for a while.
DeadJack5

Bringing this topic some positive news. Whilst on site at the moment, N-ST is testing effects near the extension container. You can hear several hissing gas noises coming from it. As well as this. I've heard that the music was being tested in the background by the ride as well as the monitors in the queue.

I think this is a positive sign to say that the ride is being tested and hopefully maybe seeing a return soon.
Bert

Music? On Nemesis Sub-Terra? Maybe this is more than a touch up and restraint change? Did it sound like the Nemesis soundtrack or was it IMAScorey? When Nemesis Sub-Terra opens next year it should be superb! Bring on 2018!
[Insert Signature Here]
Liam.W

Who says it's opening next year? :-s
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Dom

God I hope this is a good sign. Might mean it will be open for TTP@15. Doubt it, but one can hope
Jack

Bert2theSpark wrote:Music? On Nemesis Sub-Terra? Maybe this is more than a touch up and restraint change? Did it sound like the Nemesis soundtrack or was it IMAScorey? When Nemesis Sub-Terra opens next year it should be superb! Bring on 2018!
Pretty sure it's not new music and is just the queue line audio with the on screen videos that he's talking about ;)
DeadJack5

Just to clarify, I was around to hear the hissing noises and have recorded the hissing noises (it's faint due to it being too loud around the area). I wasn't around to hear the N-ST queue line audio, these were rumours I heard on twitter and from people around the park.

As well as the queue line audio supposedly being tested, the queue line monitors were also tested. While I was there, the monitors were not showing any videos but I could not tell whether they were turned off or left on stand by.
TheDuke

This is very good, they could be testing it to see if it still works and what work still which means we'll see it return "soon". It could also mean that they may be updating and opening it, both are good and I cant wait to so NST running again
Luce

It is rather curious that these little things have been happening around the ride but who knows if it means anything or not!

Personally, I've never really been a fan of N:ST but if it did re-open, it would be a good move especially as AT is lacking flat rides at the moment.
Emma1999

I'm really curious to what is happening with Sub terror personally it's good don't get me wrong but with it been shut for so long I'd expect it to be much better then before there's a lot of activity around the area the last few weekends I've visited I've saw the exit door open twice not first thing in the morning but in the afternoon!
Dan

Emma1999 wrote:I'm really curious to what is happening with Sub terror personally it's good don't get me wrong but with it been shut for so long I'd expect it to be much better then before there's a lot of activity around the area the last few weekends I've visited I've saw the exit door open twice not first thing in the morning but in the afternoon!
If Sub-Terra re-opens it'll be exactly the same as it was when it closed with the exception of a reworked restraint system.

That and budget cuts are the only things keeping it closed.
Dan

Apologies for the double post.

This tweet by Alton Towers suggests that Nemesis: Sub-Terra won't be opening again any time soon, if at all.

In response to a question around whether it's being reopened or demolished, the response was:
We don't currently have plans for this attraction
I personally think that Sub-Terra is finished. It's been closed for the best part of 2 years now and as much as I enjoyed it as a filler attraction I don't think we'll see it operating again.
bensaund

The problem they have with the ride is:
-High running costs due to the number of staff needed
-It is not popular, once you do it once, you don't do it again
-Too expensive to re-theme
-Park is not busy enough to spend money on it

I am sure if The Smiler crash didn't happen and the visitor numbers were a lot higher, we would see this open.

However there is no reason why it can't be open for Scarefest, Fireworks and busy School Holidays.
Ripsaw Raver

Ok so I decided to the unorthodox method of speculation for Nemesis SubTerra...Using wait for it,...TAROT and the results were interesting, I pulled 3 cards and a follow up card.
Last Year- 8 of Swords - this card indicates somthing being trapped or bound but usually of its own choices.. i saw this the literal method that we already know.. problem with restraints..
This Year - Queen of Swords - Tough decisions being made, a ruling made via logic rather than love. Maybe the descision to refurbish Hex over SubTerra or to give it another year..
Next Year - Ace of Cups - this card indicates usually the start of a new relationship or love, Overflowing happiness and emotional positives. It is a card of love and to an extent healing. This is where I think that Towers(LOVING CARE) comes in to play. A fresh new start for SubTerra and the new fanbase that will fall for it again, But im not sure if it will be the SubTerra we knew...=o
Follow up card - 4 of swords - The 4 of swords is the rest, rejuvenation and relaxing before your next challenge card..
This to me makes me believe that 2018 AT tries to come back with a bang after a somewhat rested period. They debut SW8 as the new Family Option with a "New" scary ride to bring in the thrillseekers..
TheDuke

bensaund wrote:However there is no reason why it can't be open for Scarefest, Fireworks and busy School Holidays.
Well the issue here is that they'd have to train staff and get the ride in running condition for a few days. I agree with you that it would atleast be something. I really did enjoy NST but at this point I think a more standard flat ride would be a better use of this space.
Robert.W

They might as well just put a new flat ride in Ripsaw's old location. That way they could keep NST for any future uses, and we'd have an extra ride in FV. I too would love to see NST open for Halloween as well... perhaps they could take ride operators from the Cebeebies attractions and open NST after these rides have closed and they could also have a few less actors in the scare zones?

TheDuke

That would certainly be a solution, as I said I would like to see it stay but it may far better having 2 flats in the valley at this rate
gary.clarke

Found a tweet on the Alton Towers twitter page about nemesis sub terra!!! Looks like it could be returning next year #returnofthemack
Last edited by Dom on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image link due to it being invalid