Alton Towers Praise

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
User avatar
JammyBand
Member
Member
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:38 pm
Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire

Because many topics are noting all the bad things about Alton, how to improve, which ride will be demolished first, how rough this ride is etc, I thought I would make a topic praising Alton and how it retains the title of the UK's superior theme park.

For me, I think Alton has done extremely well to offer a wide range of rides and attractions for everyone. The fact they have a SeaLife for example, stands out to me, for being a park which caters for those not interested in the typical theme park rides. Also, the new Park roamers (Pirate boat man, raving grannies etc.) are absolutely fantastic additions to the park and show Alton is working hard to entertain everybody!
User avatar
Altontowersbarlow
Member
Member
Posts: 787
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:07 pm
Location: United kingdom

So nice to see a topic that is encouraging positive comments about Alton Towers well done :D
Kirsty25

I actually have huge praise for the medical centre staff when my brother was taken ill and had to be taken to hospital, the support and actions were actually better than from my own gp at home. And also the staff in guest services for how they dealt with us on the smiler breakdown during our trip.
User avatar
Ladyofthelake
Member
Member
Posts: 2705
Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 12:20 pm
Location: Warwickshire

I think the fact that the gardens are maintained so well is a huge plus. It would be so easy to let these go but they make sure they are kept tidy and colourful for everyone to enjoy.
User avatar
DrReeve
Member
Member
Posts: 364
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:50 am
Location: Lincolnshire

The overall feeling of the park everyone says the magic is gone. I have to say i beg to differ. It may not be the same it used to be. But its still there
Image credit to Lewis97
User avatar
Michelle
Member
Member
Posts: 1292
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:32 pm
Location: North West

I like this topic.
I think that there's not enough praise for the staff who actually do their job well.. the man who served us in the Hotel gift shop last time we visited was great :)
User avatar
JammyBand
Member
Member
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:38 pm
Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire

I agree that the staff are fantastic. All around the park, they are very helpful and make your day better. I always make sure to high-five all the staff around the park to show my appreciation!  :D
User avatar
Jack
Member
Member
Posts: 1310
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:16 pm
Location: Solihull

I love the fact that a topic like this now exists, there are too many negatives on so many forums, not just AT

I do love the whole experience and the fact that the 'magic' doesn't ever get old (at least, not for me) and then you have the fact that everything is out of sight (the one and only positive thing about the ropers, as well) making the themes feel real. All together, it's not Thorpe where everything is just thrown in and your told 'there's the new coaster...NOW RIDE IT' and it's not Drayton where there are very few thrill based coasters. and all this I think is what makes Alton Towers brilliant
Image
User avatar
Themeparksandy1981
Member
Member
Posts: 1560
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:34 pm
Location: Midlands
Contact:

I have to say Merlin know what to do now to get extra guests thought the gates. Look how a coaster like 13 got guests flooding back to the resort queuing for 2 hours for a family coaster  and now 3 years later the guests are back again in there high numbers again and willing to queue upto 3 hours for the Smiler. The coasters have always been even when Corkscrew opened the biggest selling point to the park. The same can be said at Thorpe Park.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
tallicay2k
Member
Member
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:22 am
Location: Great Yarmouth...Norfolk

*thumbs up* theme park friend!! *thumbs up*
Image
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
User avatar
JammyBand
Member
Member
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:38 pm
Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire

Also, I would like to commend Alton Towers on The Smiler. With the Smiler, we have finally got a ride which lasts a long time, and is not solely based on a gimmick! The ride is about 3 minutes, which is fanatastic for a roller coaster, and provides a fun and exciting atmosphere which really adds to Alton's outstanding line up of attractions. The ride does not revole around any sort of gimmick. The world record is to draw crowds in, but the ride has been designed to thrill guests, not just to boast about the record. Job well done. Money well spent. :moj
User avatar
Lee
Member
Member
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:51 am

JammyBand wrote: The ride does not revole around any sort of gimmick. The world record is to draw crowds in, but the ride has been designed to thrill guests, not just to boast about the record.
Are you serious?

The ride was designed completely around the 14 inversions, the advertising heavily emphasising the world record, the viral campaigns built up the world record and there's a big revolving screen in the middle of X Sector advertising 14 inversions.

I'd say that's pretty gimmicky :lol:
User avatar
JammyBand
Member
Member
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:38 pm
Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire

Lee James wrote:
JammyBand wrote: The ride does not revole around any sort of gimmick. The world record is to draw crowds in, but the ride has been designed to thrill guests, not just to boast about the record.
Are you serious?

The ride was designed completely around the 14 inversions, the advertising heavily emphasising the world record, the viral campaigns built up the world record and there's a big revolving screen in the middle of X Sector advertising 14 inversions.

I'd say that's pretty gimmicky :lol:
Well, yes, but at least this record means that the ride lasts a long time! Unlike Oblivion, although a breath taking coaster and one of my favourites, is based just on the vertical drop and the rest of the ride does not offer much.
Also, the advertising hardly mentioned the world record. It doesnt say anything about until the voice says 'The worlds first 14 looping roller coaster' It doesnt even have it written on the screen. Anyway, I don't want to argue as this is not supposed to be a disheartening topic in any way. I like the smiler, and I think Alton have done a great job on it.  :) :moj
Last edited by JammyBand on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny

Some of the staff this year are an absolute credit to the Resort. If I was permitted to list all their names then I would, as they genuinely deserve full credit and more for the tremendous effort they apply to their job! I strongly urge anyone to leave positive feedback about individual staff members at Guest Services if you have time at the end of the day, or write about them on the feedback form on the Alton Towers website.

The Entertainment team this year on a whole are also doing a marvelous job. The addition of the Groundskeepers and their vehicle is a nice little touch, and I adore the bravo band! I'd love to see more spontaneous random entertainment next year [such as a bin that roams around the park and interacts with guests akin to Magic Kingdom, or a talking fountain ala Universal's Island of Adventures].
User avatar
Tom170499
Member
Member
Posts: 508
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Leeds

When I went in April, the man who served me in the Air Shop was very nice, he started a conversation about The Smiler, asked me about my day ect. It really made me smile despite the fact I'd just been on Nemesis 6 times in a row so I had a headache  :D
Image
User avatar
Fish777
Member
Member
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Waiting patiently for theme park studio

I like that whenever you go to a shop, the staff ask you how your day has been, what rides you have done etc
User avatar
adrenalinejunkie
New Member
New Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 10:28 pm
Location: Preston, Lancs

I've been visiting since 1981, 2 & 1/2 hour Log Flume & Corkscrew queues! I was 12 years old on my first visit and every single visit since has been as magical. The feeling of escapism and a release from the everyday world is refreshing and exciting. Long live the magic.
User avatar
lucy2244
Member
Member
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:17 pm
Location: Nottingham

On previous visits I haven't really took note of the staff and there friendliness, but when I went last week, it seemed like every single member of staff I encountered had a smile on their face and genuinely enjoyed there job. They didn't look sour faced and like they'd rather be anywhere than work- like most people would be. I think alton are doing a brilliant job providing job satisfaction (or so it appears that way) and that rubs off to the customers with there friendliness- increasing there happiness on the day! Either that, or employee of the month gets a big bonus  :lol:
User avatar
iBacon
Member
Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:11 pm
Location: Black Country

lucy2244 wrote: On previous visits I haven't really took note of the staff and there friendliness, but when I went last week, it seemed like every single member of staff I encountered had a smile on their face and genuinely enjoyed there job. They didn't look sour faced and like they'd rather be anywhere than work- like most people would be. I think alton are doing a brilliant job providing job satisfaction (or so it appears that way) and that rubs off to the customers with there friendliness- increasing there happiness on the day! Either that, or employee of the month gets a big bonus  :lol:
Payday ;)
Image
Thanks to Lewis97 for my Amazing Signature!
User avatar
Hmv
Member
Member
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:26 pm
Location: Far far away

iBacon wrote:
lucy2244 wrote: On previous visits I haven't really took note of the staff and there friendliness, but when I went last week, it seemed like every single member of staff I encountered had a smile on their face and genuinely enjoyed there job. They didn't look sour faced and like they'd rather be anywhere than work- like most people would be. I think alton are doing a brilliant job providing job satisfaction (or so it appears that way) and that rubs off to the customers with there friendliness- increasing there happiness on the day! Either that, or employee of the month gets a big bonus  :lol:
Payday ;)
Pay days next week ;)
Image
Post Reply