Feral cats

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
NickTPT

Hi folks,

I know this has been discussed once or twice before, so sorry if I'm covering old ground.

On a recent trip to the park I saw an entire family of cats on top of the Mexican Cantina when I was riding on the Sky Ride. I'm curious - are feral cats encouraged by the park's management as a way of controlling vermin (as they are at Disneyland)? Or are attempts made to get rid of them?
PeteB

Never heard anything about this, but yes there are a few cats around Towers.

Basically as far as I'm aware Alton is just naturally full of wildlife (you'll see all kinds if you look hard enough), but the cats are owned by people who either live nearby or live within the grounds.

Cats like to roam, and sometimes they like to be around people. I think I'd be right in saying they are neither encouraged or discouraged by anyone at Towers, but rather left alone to do their own thing.
Hmv

The cats are indeed feral, IMO the staff and certainly myself just leave them to roam neither encouraging or discouraging them.
Dan

I always see a black & white cat hanging around Nemesis. It doesn't seem bothered by the crowds or the roar from the beast so it's obvious that they're used to the area.
Count-Vonduel

I once saw a cat sitting under RMT's bell and when the ride started and the bell rang, it jumped up in the air and ran off into the plant life surrounding Katanga Canyon.
I was going to have a pic of Hobs Pit but I forgot how to make pics show up :(
Jack

Count-Vonduel wrote: I once saw a cat sitting under RMT's bell and when the ride started and the bell rang, it jumped up in the air and ran off into the plant life surrounding Katanga Canyon.
*ding* MEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOW :lol:
that just came into my mind, had to post
TheOutpatient

when I see the cats, it makes my day  8) but I've never seen them on top of the Mexican restaurant- Haha.

2 of them have been named - Ripsaw and Ripsaw junior but they probably now look much the same. They're called that because that's where they hang around and its true - when I've seen them they were on the grass beds in Forbidden Valley and along the path through the woods that leads there. I tried to stroke one once but it just shuffled backwards  :(

I hope they never try to get rid of them, and feed them sometimes.
I'm guessing they might be attracted to Mexican Cantina area by the smell of the food.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Alex.D

All I want to know is. ARE THEY FLUFFY? If not I don't care much tbh. TheOutpatient if you want to stroke them, try gaining their trust first. Try giving them food and stuff.
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97
TheOutpatient

lol, they're not very fluffy. They're just short hairs that look a tiny bit gaunt and muscular - white and black

this is one of them:
Last edited by TheOutpatient on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
altontowerskid

That cat has been in Pizza & Pasta way too often! :lol:
Danny

The black and white cat that lurks around in Forbidden Valley I believe is actually called Ripsaw. I've seen it quite regularly on my visits this season :)
girlgooner

They are the Roper spy's ;)
TheOutpatient

They're my friends and I'm going to try to gain their trust with some treats. I wonder if they'd prefer a cat treat or something like a burger. They like Italian apparently - maybe some meat balls.
J_Baggie

I too have seen the big group of cats on top of the Mexican cantina. Wasn't sure if towers were aware of them or not lol
West Brom til I die!
NickTPT

Thanks all. So it seems there are a fair few cats around the place.

There were at least 8 of them on top of the Cantina when I saw them. Rats, mice etc. better watch out...although perhaps the cats prefer tacos and burritos, given where they've set up up shop.
TheOutpatient

woah 8? that's crazy.
Cats like it up high because its good to be up high from a survival point of view.

Gonna try and get some close pictures soon with the treat thing. :D
Ripsaw Raver

Right thats it! When i go for my correction in september my clothes are bieng sprayed with cat nip! Wonder if i can get to hold one. LOVE CATS my cat Beryl has better treatment than my BF lol
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123
loulou87

This thread has put the biggest smile on my face!! (I'm very easy to please). I'm sure I saw that cat in the carpark near air last year!! I've never seen one in the park though, my eyes shall be peeled from now on. Ill look for for any people waving cat treats around forbiden valley too :D
lucy2244

I've never seen any cats at the towers, but I would sure love too and might even sneak them a tit bit or too  :D
tallicay2k

Hope they have paid their admission *shakes fist*
SEEK...AND...DESTROY