Help me get myself on Sub-Terra

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Count-Vonduel

I am going to Alton Towers at scarefest and realy want to ride Sub-Terra but im too scared.
Can anyone give me any advice (or any help at all) to help me to not back out?

EDIT replaced ! with ?
I was going to have a pic of Hobs Pit but I forgot how to make pics show up :(
Altontowersbarlow

Hey I think if you are going to be prepared you should go in one of the scare mazes before going on Nemesis sub terra to get used to the jump scares and strobe lighting and go on oblivion and th13teen to get used to the drop element. Nemesis sub terra isn't scary as such it is more "chaotic" The 4d effects along with the water and lights with the drop element can be very overwhelming but the drop itself is not that bad , and if you get used to the strobes in the scare mazes you should be ok, I can not promise you it wont be scary because it is to some people but the element that scares people the most is the scare maze and the 4d effects which to prepare you are water squirts, back pokers and leg whipper's along with loud audio.
hope this helps 
Count-Vonduel

The name of the 4D effects scare me more than anything else
altontowerskid

Count-Vonduel wrote: The name of the 4D effects scare me more than anything else
All of the 4D effects are meant for "fun" and bring you into the show.

Honestly, just grit your teeth and go for it! At the end of the day, you're only overcoming fear, nothing is going to happen to you :) That or have a stiff drink beforehand (if you're of age)!!
Altontowersbarlow

Don't be worried about them. The leg whipper's are just pieces of material that tickle your legs , the water spray is a small squirt of water , and the back poker is just a stub that pokes you in the back.
hope this helps
Kirsty25

altontowersbarlow wrote: Don't be worried about them. The leg whipper's are just pieces of material that tickle your legs , the water spray is a small squirt of water , and the back poker is just a stub that pokes you in the back.
hope this helps
and if you sit forward slightly you don't get the back poker in the back cos that hurts. the leg ticklers hurt if you're in shorts!

The scaremaze bit at the end has been a bit tame this season so I hope they beef it up a bit for scarefest.
ollboll9

Well I went on it and was crying when I came out  :D. BTW I'm a twelve year old boy but very mature  (apparently) haha. I was starting to panic aswell, all you have to do is wear trousers, I made the mistake of shorts and came out with scratches on my leg. Also the back pokers are painful so lean forward and the scare maze isn't that scary but there is (SPOILER: a guy in a gas mask who comes right into your face wich is scary.) jumpy sections and you will get lost if you are like me. The only advice really worth giving is to go for it but it's very stressful wich some find horrible. Just remember at the end the light will come because at times it seems it wont and when you see it, RUN!

Good Luck
Poop. Always
tallicay2k

Having problems going on sub terra? Jeez don't set foot in terror of the towers or the sanctuary then my friend...
Just grit ya teeth and go for it...only yourself will know if your up for it.

At the end of the day your not gonna get hurt. (just dont let the small aliens nibble at your ankles)
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Count-Vonduel

I love scare mazes but thanks for the advice!

the thing that im rely scared of is 1 the dark and 2 the Back Breaker (Back Thumper) and the Foot Scratchers (Leg Tickler)

(Sorry for the bad spelling im in a rush)
Th13TEENGUY

Just focus on something else or just talk to someone and it may help distract you.
LCFC til i die
Sanctuary Nurse

just relax and breathe and keep telling yourself its not real. i personally dont like sub terra as i knocked my front tooth out on it last year :(
Dr Kelman might be mad....But i'll let you into a secret ...ALL THE BEST PEOPLE ARE :)
bensaund

I'm going to be Mr grumpy and say....

To be honest, the best part of Sub Terra is that you don't know what is happening, all the people above have now told you most of what you are going to experience, so the experience won't be a good as if you are riding it for the first time. So now you know what you are going to experience, will you be going on it or not?

There is nothing worse than somebody spoiling the surprise element, for example people in Th13teen, or Hex loudly telling their friends what happens and people who have never been on the ride finding out what happens.
If you go down to the woods today
Owen

warning,this post contains slight spoilers

Right, I was petrified before going on, but I said I'm doing it! So I did it, didn't let myself turn Back, if you don't wanna feel the effects, lean forward and lift up your legs at the bottom of the drop, this avoids the back and leg fellers, you will have to man up to the water though. I do recommend trying to avoid being close to the front of the flaps after bag drop off as a dude sticks his head out really quickly, and avoid being at the doors on the second lift because a rather chubby man sticks his head in and goes 'rah'

Now go on it and stay on it. I'd admit i was shaking afterwards but it was due to adrenaline it's a great ride, do it,do,it,do it!

Also it you haven't been on it,why's you PP of it?  ;)
Last edited by Owen on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count-Vonduel

Thanks for all the support, I am just going to run on it when there is no queue and hope for the best. I am really glad that I spoiled the effects becuase basically the way I work with new rides is that I go on it once and then if I deem it too painful (for example) then I will just refuse to ever go on it again so thank you for warning me to lean foward!

P.S I know it looks strange that I have Sub-Terra for my avatar but I chose it for 2 reasons.
1- I wanted it there to keep reminding me that I promised myself I would go on it.
2- I picked it becuase it looks the most scarefestish (please refer to Location).
DrReeve

altontowersbarlow wrote: Don't be worried about them. The leg whipper's are just pieces of material that tickle your legs , the water spray is a small squirt of water , and the back poker is just a stub that pokes you in the back.
hope this helps
Note if you tickleish this is a lot better. You cant be scared of nemmy when your being tickled to death
Image credit to Lewis97
Owen

Count-Vonduel wrote: Thanks for all the support, I am just going to run on it when there is no queue and hope for the best. I am really glad that I spoiled the effects becuase basically the way I work with new rides is that I go on it once and then if I deem it too painful (for example) then I will just refuse to ever go on it again so thank you for warning me to lean foward!

P.S I know it looks strange that I have Sub-Terra for my avatar but I chose it for 2 reasons.
1- I wanted it there to keep reminding me that I promised myself I would go on it.
2- I picked it becuase it looks the most scarefestish (please refer to Location).
Haha, I was joking mate, but yeh, I lean forward and lift up my legs on it  :)
Senator

Lean forward as agreeing with the others, the back pokers hurt, lift your feet in the air if you don't want air down your legs and be warned the scare maze is dark, small, busy and jumpy

Thanks NickiFan
TheOutpatient

Just remember - its all a bunch of technology and fiberglass, invented by people who probably drank tea as they were doing so.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
JD1991

Whatever you do, don't tell the actors they're not real soldiers. They don't like it!
I'm Hilarious.
PeteB

Count-Vonduel wrote: I am going to Alton Towers at scarefest and realy want to ride Sub-Terra but im too scared.
Can anyone give me any advice (or any help at all) to help me to not back out?
It's a 2 step process...

Step 1 - join the queue.

Step 2 - wait and don't leave.

Seriously though, what I say to anyone who is ever scared of theme park rides is you've gotta change your mind set. They market some rides (like sub terra) as being the "scariest thing ever" but that's not really the truth. Being put in a life or death situation - that's scary. What you have to remind yourself is that these things are made for fun. Most people aren't ever scared, even in the halloween scare mazes they're just pretending or have put themselves mentally in a zone where they're allowing body/mind to be spooked for a laugh.

I've done countless scare mazes (like the ones at Scarefest) and most just don't affect me anymore. But The Sanctuary last year really got my heart racing and made me jump several times. As soon as I came out, I wanted to be back in again. It's safe because you know it isn't real, and being scared on this occasion is cool. You've really just gotta get into it and play along.

You'll come out laughing and wanting to do it again. I promise.