The little things that make the magic

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
jackgcse

The Crisp and fresh Alton Towers air that you smell on a slightly foggy morning as you leave your car from the car park and make your way towards the monorail.

The TV does brilliantly at the Ambiance but I find it simply is the characters that you sometimes see around park, it adds something the other contenders can't in this country, apart from Chessington really.
Mark.aa

There's a little area between enterprise and the x sector toilets that's run out of magic.
Jack

Just remembered the guy who goes around in the pirate boat themed go kart throwing insults like 'It's an adult justin bieber' or 'It's the new boyband, No Direction' never fails to make me laugh
TheOutpatient

-The Air stations(actual bit before you go on) round there and the paths and trees round there - particularly the one on the outside edge of the park. Its one of my favourite areas in the park and I've tried to figure out why: firstly i think its just very nice architecture and landscaping but its also very clean, quiet and hidden away in a park that's otherwise full of activity.

-The tree in the long nemesis que line with the unusual blossom - I dont know what tree that is, but the blossom is kind of light and feathery so when it falls, its like snow or something.

-the cats (of course)

-the way things are nestled in the trees including with Th13teen and The Smiler
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Tom170499

jackandylan123 wrote: Just remembered the guy who goes around in the pirate boat themed go kart throwing insults like 'It's an adult justin bieber' or 'It's the new boyband, No Direction' never fails to make me laugh
He's called Sir Edward England and I think he's hilarious! Always makes me laugh  :yohoho:
ollboll9

On my last visit, scool trip me and my friend were going on the flume and we had this bright idea to waterproof our bags with thoes dingy little ponchos. Well that was fun, we ended up just standing there warpped in a poncho holding up bags laughing our heads off. Every time I look back I think of this and I just Smile. Also we went on Sub-Terra, well I came out of it crying, probably having some form of a nervous break down. Then we spotted a swarm of people from school and realised how stupid I must have looked crying in distress outside of a theme park ride haha :D

Also things like area music, little bits of theming wich nobody but you notices and can find, embarresing moments (altgough I seem to have LOADS of these :)) and generally acting like a hooligan, shouting at spotty little teenagers (like myself  :)) shouting out stuff like 'look at that fat dude running like an elephant and replying, 'Elephants can't run so I would think of a different heavy animal to describe me thank you very much' and watch them do the walk of shame, and just generally not caring and having fun.

All this is what makes Alton Towers my truly favourite place on earth.
Poop. Always
Count-Vonduel

ollboll9 wrote: and generally acting like a hooligan, shouting at spotty little teenagers (like myself  :)) shouting out stuff like 'look at that fat dude running like an elephant and replying, 'Elephants can't run so I would think of a different heavy animal to describe me thank you very much' and watch them do the walk of shame, and just generally not caring and having fun.
GET...OUT...NOW!!!!
I was going to have a pic of Hobs Pit but I forgot how to make pics show up :(
ollboll9

Count-Vonduel wrote:
ollboll9 wrote: and generally acting like a hooligan, shouting at spotty little teenagers (like myself  :)) shouting out stuff like 'look at that fat dude running like an elephant and replying, 'Elephants can't run so I would think of a different heavy animal to describe me thank you very much' and watch them do the walk of shame, and just generally not caring and having fun.
GET...OUT...NOW!!!!
I'm not abusive, just incase it reads like that it's the little chavs in there little tracksuits who've never heard of a thing called a book. :D
Poop. Always
Danny

This. Entertainments is superb this year and really contributes in a positive way to any guest's experience on the park.
Thorpe Towers 13

The magic for me is the fact you dont really see alot of the outside world when at AT (in all fairness i dont look very hard) ok on Air you see the hotel and the car park, but unlike Thorpe Park you dont see parts of London etc (nothing against thorpe park) but at AT i really feel like I have escaped a little.
hands in the air and scream!
neontrix

The smiley faces that are on the traffic lights, the faded original guest services sign. Jumping over mud with your friends in the valley gardens because the skyride is closed. The excitment as you walk through the turnstiles on a sunny English morning.
"We are entertainers. The fact we use concrete and steel to do our entertaining, as apposed to a piece of Shakespearean text or whatever, is... is immaterial" - John Wardley, 1997
stu1980

going though the gates in the car. then waiting for the monorail to arrive. I get all childish.

by the time i get off im an adult again then i see the main gate into the park and here towers street music palying and before i know it im singing the song.

So for me its the whole music and monorail thing.

Park atmosphere also plays a big part more so fireworks.
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!
Burniel

The 5 am get up and 3.5 hour drive. That feeling when you get out of the car and head for the monorail...
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
DontKnow

The change that happens on Rita from being horribly hungover after a night in the campsite bar, to stepping off and being ready to  get on everything else.
nickhutson

Mentioning The Ministry of Joy in Sub Terra's briefing room! STOP SMILING!  Genius.
Nick Hutson
Presenter - The Season Pass Podcast and Nick\'s Season Pass ERT
http://www.theseasonpasspodcast.com
Producer and Co-Presenter - MusicalTalk - The UK\'s Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
Tom.B

Ilovecoasters wrote: The 5 am get up and 3.5 hour drive. That feeling when you get out of the car and head for the monorail...
It's a 1 hour ish drive for me - so a 9:00 leave! :lol:
Astro61201

For me it is as you drive up and all you can see is the towers and then the big signs come towards you and you cant help but hum the at music and then when you enter and before you is towers street, ducks \:D/ and the towers but to be honest the whole park is magical like when you get your head stuck in the mutiny bay sign bars (yes I got stuck)
cant wait!, cant wait!, cant wait! :uk:
Tom.B

I couldn't really think of anything to start with, but reading other people's comments, I'm like "oh yeah, of course" etc.

Anyway, I've thought of something! :D It's the Frog fountain down Towers Street, I don't know why, but it just says Alton Towers to me!

Typing this, I've also thought of something else! The toilets at the top of Towers Street have the different doors, like No. 10 Downing Street, and a telephone box etc.
JammyBand

You cant beat getting to Alton very early, as soon as it opens, on a chilly, misty morning. Looking down Towers Street with the towers just visable in all the mist in the distance is truly mesmerizing and I cant help but stare at its beauty. This is something you cant get anywhere else in the world, and we are extremely lucky.
Last edited by JammyBand on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucieloo

There is so much that means something to me..
One thing last year that I had forgotten and it made me smile, was the Skeletons going around in the skyride all day long during scarefest. Brilliant subtle things like that that make people go "ooohh look at that"
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....