The Gate house entrance

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
MintAlton

Anybody know anything about the back entrance, there's a castle like gate house Which can be seen just as you come out of Alton
Last edited by MintAlton on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
J_Baggie

I see this everytime I go to the towers and I had no idea it was the back entrance! That's so cool
West Brom til I die!
Hmv

It's just one of the many entrances to AT that hasn't been used for years! As I'm sure you know the resort has a massive internal road system so it just links into that!  :)
nicolah

Where about are you talking about ? There are a few.
nicola hunter
gee

The building is called station lodge.
Station Lodge was a gate house for Alton Towers in the days when it was a stately home rather than an amusement park. It was built close to the railway station to admit the Earl of Shrewsbury and his guests by the most direct route to the big house. Image This was once the main entrance to the house. :D
MintAlton

Do they still use it? It's a Shame that's not the entrance to the park, so much more grand then the current entrance
bensaund

We have Dr Beaching to thank for the railway line going, I do wonder if the railway line was still running, would it be an entrance for guests using public transport.
If you go down to the woods today
Thorpe Towers 13

doubt it viable but would deffo love to drive through that to get into AT for the day  :lol:
hands in the air and scream!
Thorpe Towers 13

bensaund wrote: We have Dr Beaching to thank for the railway line going, I do wonder if the railway line was still running, would it be an entrance for guests using public transport.
Yes lovley fellow. Would be amazing if that was the case! Walking up to that obviously with more theming etc...really would instill the 'magic' factor
Last edited by Thorpe Towers 13 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
hands in the air and scream!
Lee

I've edited the title of this topic for two reasons. Primarily because it looked too similar to a topic below, but also because i just couldn't take the 'Towers back entrance' seriously :lol:
Alex

It would be you Lee that brings a perfectly serious topic down the level of your twisted mind :roll:
tallicay2k

Lee James wrote: I've edited the title of this topic for two reasons. Primarily because it looked too similar to a topic below, but also because i just couldn't take the 'Towers back entrance' seriously :lol:
Your 2nd reason is hilarious!! That's just my sense of humour lol  :lol:
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
altontowerskid

bensaund wrote: We have Dr Beaching to thank for the railway line going
Who who?! Never heard of this name before and interested in the story of the railway...

Any information online? :)
Themeparksandy1981

altontowerskid wrote:
bensaund wrote: We have Dr Beaching to thank for the railway line going
Who who?! Never heard of this name before and interested in the story of the railway...

Any information online? :)
There you go http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeching_cuts

They also did a tv show about this in the mid 90's.
TheOutpatient

no not really cept that its beautiful and I wish I lived there. :lol:
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Marcus

I heard that they were planning on remaking that train line and using it as a station for AT
mikesalt

Ma®©us wrote: I heard that they were planning on remaking that train line and using it as a station for AT
Marcus, you are dead right:

http://www.mcrailways.co.uk/

Ever wondered why so much land has been reserved near to Stoke station? Well that's why.

Mick
allyallyally47

That is awesome!  :D

Is it still an ongoing project? There doesn't seem to be much in terms of a timescale for it.

Nice to know the days of having to rely on people who drive may soon be over, especially since the bus services seem to have dwindled! (Unless they've had a change of heart about this?)
mikesalt

It's been a few months since I've been walking out there but they were making very good progress on the Leekbrook to Endon section. Endon to Stoke will be a bit trickier because some of the bridges are in need of replacement. After that, Oakamoor tunnel will need to be restored since it was dug through a natural spring thus is very wet, and then planning permission will need to be approved to change the footpath from Oakamoor to Alton to accommodate the railway beside it. As things stand, it's not certain whether to use Alton station, or build a station further west.

So lots of work to do and slightly behind schedule.