Best alton coaster

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

Best coaster at alton?

The smiler
32%
Nemesis
32%
Thirteen
1%
Oblivion
9%
Air
11%
Rita
3%
Sonic spinball
2%
Runaway mine train
2%
Can't decide!
8%

Total votes: 121
RCandrew

Was there yesterday and it is probably now the smiler for me! Although I had never been on rita before and went on 3 times.. So much better than you think! I don't know why people don't like it! Overall I find it quite difficult to pick a best coaster but it will be the smiler for now!
LondonLydia

Went yesterday, and it's STILL Nemesis for me.

Nemesis is actually my favourite rollercoaster (although I've only done UK theme parks, but I've done AT and TP a LOT). It's beauty is the simplicity of having your feet dangling, and the track layout. Every part of the track leads effortlessly into the next bit, and the loop is still fabulous.

BUT, I am severly concerned it hasnt got long for this world. The state of it yesterday was quite upsetting. Paint peeling everywhere, weeds growing up, queue fenes rusty and falling away, no red in the water at all nowadays...it just looks so neglected.

So I think the time has come for them to completely re-do Forbidden Valley. I think a space re-theming could work, and they could completely rennovate Nemesis for it's big birthday next year.

I also like The Smiler (probably my 2nd fave now), Oblivion, and Sonic tbh (find that really fun). Rita is a great ride, but needs themeing desperately. I think you should launch into something....I think in fact they should cover Rita's track, so you launch into a cave and then have glow in the dark branches twisting over the top of it for arches...

Th13teen isnt as bad as I remember, but is still not worth going out of your way for.
Kirsty25

At the beginning of the season in nemmys defense the water was running a very bright red. I cn only assume that the weather and rain has diluted it.
Martin

I went yesterday and the water falls in the que for Nemmy was clear
But the blood pond under the ride was very red.
The harnesses on ride are really dirty and could do with replacing, as some of them really smell.
As for the ride itself in my opinion as good as ever.
I also think Thirteen has got better with age. Have they speeded it up? And the backwards indoor part seems to last longer.
Rita que was diabolical. From one train leaving the station to the next one leaving we timed it at 2 and half minutes.
The through put yesterday on Rita was so slow.
I questioned a couple of ride ops as to why it was taking so long to get the trains out and neither could give me a reasonable answer.
Fastracked Smiler at 1.30 well worth the £7 as the que at the time was about 80 minutes. Went in the back row and thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't let go kept our heads back and had a really good ride.
Smiler again for the last ride of the day 60 minute que this time but we didn't mind because we love the que under the ride got front seat this time we all rode with our hands up and thought it was the best seat on ride.
Also my birthday badge came off. Didn't realise until we got off.
Blivvy 3 times,Nemmy 3 times,Smiler twice and all others as well.
For a hot day in mid July thought the park was fairly quiet.
Once again we all had a fantastic day. 8)
BOW TIES ARE COOL!
DavidRock

was on site yesterday and went on Smiler and nemesis...... cant decide is my answer.

I did go on Smiler and Nemesis a few weeks ago and I did choose Smiler over nemesis but yesterday Nemesis was so fast and had the force and pull to it so its for me gone back to I can't decide.
RCandrew

I rode them both recently,
On the smiler I was more excited than scared and you're just thrown everywhere and it does make me smile!
On nemesis I am just as excited but there is more fear and it has a lot more force on your body I'd say!

they are completely different rides and pack a punch, adrenaline gets running for both but in different ways!
Last edited by RCandrew on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish777

The smiler because... Well just because  :D
SamSimkin

Taking my vote from 13 and onto the smiler.
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION
RCandrew

What I think about the theming between nemesis and the smiler is that Nemesis can age well, because looking old and mouldy etc actually works for the theme and makes it. Better, yet on the smiler it will have to constantly bee up kept to look shiny and modern, it will have to be cleaned and make sure all the electronics are working! If this isn't up kept then the theming will get terrible but on nemesis it won't!
JoshRicho-atiR

RITA123 wrote: I chose Rita because I love fast coasters.The Smiler is also amazing :D
Totally agree
Milgod

Oblivion or Rita for me. I love that stomach lifting feeling. Enjoy Nemesis, but it doesn't have that feeling.
JackoCoasterMad

Nemesis so far. Air second then Oblivion.
I haven't been on the Smiler and so do not know whether it will top my charts yet!
Tom170499

I love all the coasters but RMT has a great atmosphere and is generally a good ride.
LaurenceGough

For me it is now:

First: Berry bish bash TT takeover! :lol:
Joint first: Air - front row
Second: The Smiler - front row - back is rough as f...
And a very close third: Nemesis - Either front or back

All great rides :D
Assume the position...
Dan

It's got to be The Smiler.

Fast, intense and fun. I had one really rough ride on it the week after it opened but all my others have been ultra-smooth (with the exception of the cobra-roll exit and subsequent inversion being jolty)

Nemesis was my favourite since my first visit to AT but The Smiler has taken its crown.
Michelle

Still Nemesis for me. The Smiler is a good ride, but the roughness ruins it for me, plus other than leaving me slightly dizzy when you stop at the bottom of the vertical lift, there is no intensity at all (In my opinion)
I also have a soft spot for RITA,Th13teen and Spinball though.
mac359

THE SMILER FRONT ROW. ENOUGH SAID. :moj
obliviongirl

I know there's probably already a discussion on this, but I couldn't find it, so I decided I may as well ask again. I doubt anyone's going to be choosing RMT but you never know! :P Feel free to explain why in a reply. I haven't been on The Smiler, Sonic Spinball and Th13teen yet, but of the ones I have, it's got to be Oblivion. The drop is intense!
Last edited by obliviongirl on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whoguru5

Nemesis. It just has such good themeing and the ride is excellent.

Thanks to lewis97 For the signature.
Count-Vonduel

RMT.
I will pick fun over pain any day.
I was going to have a pic of Hobs Pit but I forgot how to make pics show up :(