Careers - Interviews and Job Advice

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
lf2001

Whats the youngest age you can be to get a job?
Burniel

lf2001 wrote: Whats the youngest age you can be to get a job?
On the FAQs page, it states you must be 16-18 years of age to apply for most things.

http://www.altontowersjobs.com/faqs#age
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
laurenj.birch

Hey guys, was successful on a rides host job and i have been invited back for my training days on the 22nd and 23rd of this month.
All I wanted to know is do i have to wear something nice like you do for an interview or can i just wear something casual? Like jeans or something?
Thanks. 8)
laurenj.birch

code-red wrote: Out of interest, do any new people know what team they're on?
West

laurenj.birch wrote: Hey guys, was successful on a rides host job and i have been invited back for my training days on the 22nd and 23rd of this month.
All I wanted to know is do i have to wear something nice like you do for an interview or can i just wear something casual? Like jeans or something?
Thanks. 8)
For all training courses you should wear uniform.  If you haven't yet been issued with your uniform then you should wear smart casual, strictly no denim or trainers, this applies to all training courses both during and out of season.
Zach

Well done to all you guys successful! To work here is a dream so jealous of you guys but I'm also happy cause always good to know the staff! Wear the red jacket loud and proud guys! And...if you see me say hi :) you can't miss the one the only Smiler Man ;) (in costume every visit)
Cookie Monster

I would like to be a rides maintenance technician for Alton Towers when I'm older but at the moment I'm only in year nine. I'm about to choose my options for GCSE and I was wondering if what I will choose is a good idea. Here is what I want to choose: Engineering, IT, Geography and Business. Maths English and Science are compulsory along with German. I am predicted a A* in Maths and a B in English if that helps also. 
Lee

You'd need to do an engineering apprenticeship if I'm not mistaken, so your GCSRs will help. I'd also suggest not targeting towards Alton Towers, as they are very selective over who they pick and the nature of the business is they don't pay as well as other business sectors. Maybe after you have vast experience elsewhere, Merlin may offer you incentive pay to join them :)

For engineering maintenance, the car manufacturing  industry is your best bet.
Cookie Monster

Thank you very much Lee. You were saying about Car manufacturing, does that mean designing them or working on the factory floor?
Lee

It's all aspects. Feel free to send me a PM, as its off topic :)
ItssAlex

Hi, so I've applied for ride host and been called for interview next week.

I was just wondering if anyone knew how lenient they are regarding students? Basically, the start of the season is at the end of march, and assuming I get the job I won't be free for about 2 weeks from then, then 4 weeks at Easter I will be, but then I'll have another 2 weeks of lectures.

Would they even consider me when I tell them this at interview?
ItssAlex

Dr.Kelham wrote: I am in the exact same situation I can't start until July but you get given a form to fill in your availability, so for me July onwards, this does not affect your chances of a job, I had a phone call a week later offering me a job for ride host of which I accepted

Good luck on your interview!
Ah cool thanks!

What was the interview stage like? Did it last very long/were the questions okay? :P
ItssAlex

Dr.Kelham wrote: The way ours went was when we walked in we were given a card with a random topic on it, we had to then stand at the front of the group say who we were and job we had applied for, then we had 30 seconds to promote the topic. After that we were divided off into 3 groups, and were given a teamwork task to solve and then present back to everyone else. After that we were dismissed back down to the staff canteen - then individually brought up for interviews, you will be asked about  4 sides of a4 and finally given the option to ask any questions, was there about 2 hours ish
Blimey what were the topics like did you have to have to good general knowledge or were they just standard things?
ItssAlex

Dr.Kelham wrote: Luckily you weren't judged on knowledge more on how you deal with pressure, for example one was oat cakes
I couldn't even tell you what an oatcake is

This is going to go well....

Thanks for your help haha  :D
SEALIFE

Not to be nit picky or anything but just to remind all people that are/going to apply for Towers that they DO read these forums and posting such stuff as the area, name, or any other information such as what side/department you work in really isnt doing you any favors. Take it from past experience, It really isnt work risking your job for.

Also a trend ''Vloging'' a member of staff has been caught filming on various rides around the Resort including breakdowns and as a staff member it is prohibited. 

Not to put a downer on those who haven't already started but you don't want to be sacked, warned, or disciplined within the first few weeks/months working there!.
Lee

It has been requested by some newly recruited staff members, that we remove their posts due to the nature of their new job and it's associated conflict of interest. We're happy to comply with this, however, in future can members ensure that they do not post anything that may compromise their position. TowersTimes takes no responsibility for any issues arising from posting on our forum.
Guideline 2 wrote: If you are an Alton Towers staff member joining the site, please be aware that these and all major Alton Towers sites are actively read by Alton Towers management. You are most welcome to contribute to the discussion on the community, however please ensure your conduct is in line with your contract and your capacity as an employee. This includes care taken when posting to ensure you do not make statements that could be construed as being on behalf of the park, as well as ensuring you do not release sensitive information that may put your job in jeopardy. Remember, it's your employers reading.
Due to the recently removed posts, some elements of the conversation may not flow as fluidly as they previously did. We apologise for any confusion this may cause.
Lee

ItssAlex wrote:Has anyone been to a recruitment event?
I'm in the ccanteen but it feels like it's full of people from the previous set of people
Feel like I'm totally in the wrong place
I suggest you ask around to see if you're currently in the correct place. If your letter of invitation stated the canteen on this date, then I'd imagine you're where you need to be. However, I'd confirm with a member of staff as they could have changed the venue etc last minute.
jamie.rivettcarnac

Hey good luck to everyone that has a job 2 things I learnt from last season they are make sure you get good shoes don't just wear normal shoes u would for school normal job etc I made that mistake last year and they fell to bits in 2 weeks get good shoes with steal toe caps or something like that sports direct do good shoes / boots with steel toe caps for 1/2 price at the moment £25 down from £50. the other thing I would say to get is a watch as your not aloud to have phone on you at work so id say get a watch so you can keep track of time or if a guest ever asked you the time you can help them out.
ATconnor

I have an interview for a ride host next week, and I just wanted to know if anyone that has worked at Alton know about the teams you can get assigned to. Does each one contain a certain amount of rides and can you be moved around teams over time? Also, is working on The Smiler part of one of the teams?
ATconnor

also, does anyone know what you should wear for an interview? I was thinking to go quite formal but if you have to take part in activities I don't want to wear something that will be uncomfortable