Careers - Interviews and Job Advice

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Vordok419

I got the job!  :D

I start next weekend as a Welcome Host, directing cars and letting people through the turnstiles.

Vordok
Fish777

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it!
Dom

congratulations  :D
tallicay2k

Good job my friend, enjoy your time there.
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Michelle

Congratulations Vordok :)
Danny

Congrats!
Ladyofthelake

Congratulations :D
Altontowersbarlow

Congratulations :)
Themeparksandy1981

I think the first impressions when you enter a room helps you. I been working 16 years now and I been lucky that I only been out of work for 6 weeks during that period where I got made redundant twice.
Like for starters wear nice clothes where you feel comfortable in as it's you as a person there hiring. Like give them a idea where you would like to be in 5 to 10 years time.
When I was 16 I wanted to be maintaince at Drayton Manor but I went to NG Bailey for a interview and found out I was Colour Blind so I became a Toolmaker instead.
Where I work now they know teenagers are the long term future of the company so Since June 2011 they taken on 5 youths.
Tom.B

Wouldn't it be awesome to operate the rides!
Lee

Tommo23 wrote: Wouldn't it be awesome to operate the rides!
I imagine it'd be pretty repetitive after a while. It's all paperwork and whatnot too.

As for interviews, I suggest personality. Alton Towers isn't a year round, and as such I'd imagine they aren't looking for commitment as such, just a commitment to your contract. So they'll be looking for people who are friendly, bubbly, happy and enthusiastic about the guest experience.

Just demonstrate that :)
Vordok419

Thank you all so much for the congratulations.  :)

Vordok
CJH

My experience

Interview:
The interview consists of two parts, Group interview and One to One competency based interview.

Group Interview:
Each group was split into teams each having an area coach observing. The task was to change a queue line and add things to enhance the experience. We were given Rita. I made my point across appearing very confident and able to explain myself very well with the features and benefits my sales background helped me massively here as I was able to define the features and benefits of each and every thing I wanted to add, being able to be heard and standout without being an arse is KEY in this section. We then had to present this to the rest of the other groups. Make sure you just take it in your stride and be confident and clear.

This is when the group then went back to HQ. Each person was then taken one by one upstairs. Some interviews lasting considerably longer than others.
Main things to note
The people who didn't get through to the next stage was just asked how they thought the group stage was, whilst the ones who had a shot of the jobs were asked competency based questions
Eg: Can you tell us a difficult situation you have come across with a customer, how you solved it, what you would have done differently, and why you dealt with it the way you did.

Mine went on for about 45mins/1hour.

Advice:

Be confident, don't let other strong characters in the group deter you from what you want to say. Make yourself heard, standout from the crowd.
When in the presentation be loud and clear they are looking for communication skills within a group as this is helpful for ride teams especially in evacuation situations etc.
Be honest and precise in the competency based section, this is the hardest bit of the interview, but they put you under pressure whilst observing how you deal with pressure as again it's vital you can stay calm and collected on a rides team due to some of the situations you come across.
Maintain eye contact throughout.
Ask plenty of questions around the role so you have a clear understanding of what is expected of you as a host/operator.
Last edited by CJH on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris 21 Manchester
Danny

jamie.rivettcarnac wrote: Hey good luck with your interview what did you apply for? I'm back there working next year as ride host, I'll be working on Sonic  or water rides
Why don't you do big rides?
Tom.B

jamie.rivettcarnac wrote: good luck don't tell them your an enthusiast cause it can go against you
How come it'll go against you?
MollyNora95

Hi guys!
I have an interview (fingers crossed!) If i get through and get hired I'll be moving up there from West Yorkshire with my partner and my best friend (If she gets the job too). Was just wondering if anyone has any advice or helpful tips about the best places to stay for the season :) Thanks! :3
Burniel

Good luck!
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
Jack

Dr.Kelham wrote: So guys, I said I would keep you posted about the progress of my application as Ride Host at AT, and I am proud to say, I have secured a job for the 2014 Season :D :moj
nice one mate!
code-red

Out of interest, do any new people know what team they're on?
JoshC

Dr.Kelham wrote:
code-red wrote: Out of interest, do any new people know what team they're on?
I know what team I am on was told when I got offered the job
So what team are you on then? What rides will you be on? :)