Careers - Interviews and Job Advice

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
RollerCoasterTycoon2013

I am so jealous of everyone who has got a job at Alton Towers. I would love to apply, but I live two hours away from Alton Towers, and I don't drive :/
ItssAlex

Has anyone else got training next week / received their contract today?
Altonvickx

Hi you awesome people. 

Was hoping to get some advice on the interview process. I've done a lot of research to prepare for the 4/5 hour interview. That said i think I'm way overthinking this. I've read loads of employee reviews, some of which are from 2018. But they are really mixed in terms of the stuff you do in that duration. 

Could someone please narrow down those hours and what is expected during this time. I've applied several times and I've finally been given this amazing opportunity. I don't want to go into it unprepared but also I don't want to come across like I'm sucking up to them. My passion for this park is unreal so I have dumb that down as well haha. 

So any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated to get my nerves down. I'm travelling a fair way away by train, so maybe also give me some questions I can rehearse on the journey too would be a bonus. I really don't want to mess this up :)

Also... is there anyone else going to the centre on the 12th? It would be great to interact with you!
Thanks in advance!
NemeJaney

Altonvickx wrote:Hi you awesome people. 
Hi you awesome people. 

Was hoping to get some advice on the interview process. I've done a lot of research to prepare for the 4/5 hour interview. That said i think I'm way overthinking this. I've read loads of employee reviews, some of which are from 2018. But they are really mixed in terms of the stuff you do in that duration. 

Could someone please narrow down those hours and what is expected during this time. I've applied several times and I've finally been given this amazing opportunity. I don't want to go into it unprepared but also I don't want to come across like I'm sucking up to them. My passion for this park is unreal so I have dumb that down as well haha. 

So any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated to get my nerves down. I'm travelling a fair way away by train, so maybe also give me some questions I can rehearse on the journey too would be a bonus. I really don't want to mess this up :)

Also... is there anyone else going to the centre on the 12th? It would be great to interact with you!
Thanks in advance!
Hiya! Here are some ideas of interview questions to be ready for (none of which have been specifically quoted from anything):
"Do you have any particular strengths/weaknesses which may apply to this role?"
"Can you give us an example of a time in the past when you delivered excellent customer service?"
"Would you be comfortable doing [a specific thing]?"
"What would you do in a situation where...[insert stressful situation here]?"
Another good piece of advice is to focus more on your professional skills and customer service, rather than your enthusiasm for Towers(as tempting as it may be!), but while still making it clear that you care strongly about guest experiences/thrills/magic/fun/laughs etc. Based on your wording though, you already seem to have this sussed. :)
Hope this helps! :) I'm unsure about the current format/schedule/duration of interviews these days but as long as you're prepared to be social, humble and friendly, you should be fine! Bonne chance! :D
WilliamTM

ATconnor wrote:also, does anyone know what you should wear for an interview? I was thinking to go quite formal but if you have to take part in activities I don't want to wear something that will be uncomfortable
I’m also curious about this - I’ve got an interview coming up soon and am not sure what would be best to wear!
Altonvickx

I went to the interview on the 12th. I wore black trousers and a black jumper with shirt attatched underneath. There were a few others who wore trousers and shirts. But some did turn up in jeans and a nice top. So id go with what youd expect someone to wear in an interview as you do have a 1to1 aswel.
NemeJaney

Agreed with above. There always seems to be a mix of levels of smartness(anything from a tracksuit to a full on suit) but I'd suggest erring slightly more on the smart side, but not being too uptight-looking. That way you can't go wrong :) Not only does it improve your employers' view of you, but also sets a good impression among your other future potential colleagues at the interview!
Altonvickx

Good luck and enjoy it and be honest with them for the 1to1. Dont lie about your weaknesses, theyll think more of you :)
Bexa

When working as a host/operator on a ride, what exactly is required? Do you have to be good with heights? 

And uh I was wondering if anyone knows about working there when autistic? sorry that's a bit of a directionless question
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move
Zach

Bexa wrote:When working as a host/operator on a ride, what exactly is required? Do you have to be good with heights? 

And uh I was wondering if anyone knows about working there when autistic? sorry that's a bit of a directionless question
Woking at heights would normally be beneficial as on coasters both ops/hosts would be responsible for doing/aiding in ride Evacs. Other qualities that would be looked for include, working well within a team, communication skills are key, awareness of there surroundings and friendly interaction with a positive approach to guests even in pressured situations. 
Bexa

Zach wrote:
Bexa wrote:When working as a host/operator on a ride, what exactly is required? Do you have to be good with heights? 

Woking at heights would normally be beneficial as on coasters both ops/hosts would be responsible for doing/aiding in ride Evacs. Other qualities that would be looked for include, working well within a team, communication skills are key, awareness of there surroundings and friendly interaction with a positive approach to guests even in pressured situations. 
Ah, thanks for the feedback. 
With this in mind, maybe it wouldn't be a good job for me. I'm not too great at heights myself, can do coasters and such, but other than that. Plus I'm uh not great when pressured
But thanks for the response
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move
Zach

Bexa wrote:
Zach wrote:

Ah, thanks for the feedback. 
With this in mind, maybe it wouldn't be a good job for me. I'm not too great at heights myself, can do coasters and such, but other than that. Plus I'm uh not great when pressured
But thanks for the response
Don’t mean to put you off, however I would say most of those qualities would be a requirement, the working at heights may not be a necessity due to some ride not needing you to work at heights. 
Probably best to have a look at the job advertisement and look at the about you section, that tells you exactly what they are looking for :) 

Ride host 2019

Ride op 2019