Ride Downtime 2013

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Chaz

So, opened in 1998 Oblivion has had very little downtime compared to it's surrounding coasters. In fact, many B&M's have very little downtime after initial opening. So, what is up with our good old friend? 2013 has seen it closed for a few full days, mainly due to The Ministry of Joy's latest invention causing havoc in the area. But on June 13th at 11am Oblivion shut down, and has remained closed.

Twitter reports (albeit very unreliable) suggest a new part is having to be shipped in, anyone know anything on this? My recent visits (23rd and 31st May) saw Oblivion open late due to something with the holding breaks (obviously being examined by workmen).

Does anyone have any further info/speculation on why it is having a rough time at the moment, it is so out of character.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
Kirsty25

I don't know, I've been on Park 10-13th of June and certainly 10th and 11th Oblivion opened at 9.30 and I saw it running. The other 2 days I was later arriving on park so can't say when it opened.

Not sure what the issue is but rumour was something around a pa system though why that would take 2 days to get sorted im not so sure.

Hope t'old girl is better soon :(
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

I've been told by a member of staff that the lift hill gearbox bearing have gone and it will be closed all weekend.
Wedjie

Oblivion is great - it's the only ride at AT that i've never heard the words ''XYZ is currently experiencing technical difficulties''

But after 15 years you can expect minor faults to start appearing in the ride, wear and tear like any machine. Hopefully a few new parts and she'll be good as new for another few months :)
tallicay2k

Awww poor blivvy is ill.

Get well soon!!
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Altontowersbarlow

I hope oblivion gets well soon too but shouldn't The Alton Towers website show that it is closed if they are telling people its going to be closed all weekend :D
silenthillXD

Thank god I went last weekend and managed to get some rides on it. Can't say this for certain but the last time I rode it every single train seemed to be missing the holding break which kinda sucked...
Tonka_UK

Was on park yesterday too, the Smiler was also down all day and I didn't get a chance to ride it (unfortunately) but didn't bother me too much as I'll just go back after the main summer holidays (probably late sept-early october) to ride it, was quite sad though that absolutely nothing was functioning in the X-Sector.
Themeparksandy1981

After getting on the Smiler we headed to the Oblivion shop to buy a drink and on the way work men were working at the bottom of Oblivion lift hill. There was around 5 or 6 workers there. The trains looked like they were in the maintenance shed. The staff at the gate said he doubt it will be open this weekend. I then asked about Enterprise and he said it's been out of action for over a week now and he didn't know when that would be reopening.
tharrison4815

When I visited last week Enterprise was closed all day too. What's up with X-Sector? It's like it's cursed recently. Maybe Wardley wouldn't spare a farthing for an old beggar?

Later that very same night, a ferocious storm raged. And with one mighty strike, a bolt of lightning severed a single branch from the old oak tree. True to the old woman's prophecy, a ride in X-Sector suddenly - and mysteriously.. Closed!
Danny

I went on the smilers opening day and rode blivvy twice with a walk on and must say the holding brake didn't hold you for half the time it usually does which I was slightly disappointed about but hey ho
Lee

danny.g97 wrote: I went on the smilers opening day and rode blivvy twice with a walk on and must say the holding brake didn't hold you for half the time it usually does which I was slightly disappointed about but hey ho
I wouldn't Imagine they'd close it for that reason. It ran a few seasons ago with minimal pause.
Owen

danny.g97 wrote: I went on the smilers opening day and rode blivvy twice with a walk on and must say the holding brake didn't hold you for half the time it usually does which I was slightly disappointed about but hey ho
silenthillXD wrote: Thank god I went last weekend and managed to get some rides on it. Can't say this for certain but the last time I rode it every single train seemed to be missing the holding break which kinda sucked...
The holding brake has been like this for years,you may not have no noticed it but it has,something to do with the rovers I THINK but do not hold me too this.
Unless as its been refurbished there getting a new one to hold the train for the full 3 seconds again,as the current one isn't working properly? (I'm not sure wether the holding brake is the problem)
Aww well  :shock:
Jmurphy55

Whatever it is, I hope it gets sorted out soon.
Stuff like this gets on my nerves, a bit of downtime is to he expected, but shutting one of the parks major attractions for 4 days with no warning or explanation is annoying, I saw on ridetimes that the flume and rapids appeared to be suit yesterday as well?
Going to the park myself Wednesday and  be gutted of oblivion is shut.
Danny

Technically, as stated on the website, they have the rights to close a ride whenever they choose and for as long as they wish.

If it is indeed a problem relating to the lift hill chain/gear box, I imagine the new parts will hopefully be arriving today and the ride should be ready to reopen by Tuesday/Wednesday.
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

Not naming any names, a member of staff said yesterday that if a new part is needed it will be next week before it reopens.
Jmurphy55

Danny wrote: Technically, as stated on the website, they have the rights to close a ride whenever they choose and for as long as they wish.

If it is indeed a problem relating to the lift hill chain/gear box, I imagine the new parts will hopefully be arriving today and the ride should be ready to reopen by Tuesday/Wednesday.
Yeah I'm not disputing that technically they have the rights to do why they want.

My point is its poor professionalism and very irritating that I feel the need to check ridetimes on a daily basis to make sure that half of the rides I want to go in are still operating. Never been an issue with other parks I've been to in the past.

If it is going to be a lengthy delay they could at least say that, rather than just writing "closed" next to it!
stu1980

I believe its waiting for a new part and anything from 2 - 4 weeks downtime - i also believe the new part is coming from Germany.

anyone know why enterprise is still down because it has a full refit over winter.
Has the magic gone for me - yep almost!
Jmurphy55

Hope that's not the case!
Love Oblivion and I'm going on Wednesday/Thursday. Don't get to go to Alton much these days so its a bit gutting if one of the best rides is closed.
Barty

The new bearing apparently arrived today so should see it re-open within the next few days... :)