So has The Smiler topped Nemesis?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

Do you think The Smiler has topped Nemesis?

Poll runs till Fri Dec 01, 2056 2:04 am

Yes
46%
No
29%
They are about the same
15%
Other - please describe below
10%

Total votes: 249
bensaund

For those of you who have been lucky enough to have ridden The Smiler, do you think it has topped Nemesis?
If you go down to the woods today
Alex.D

The smiler has not topped Nemesis. Nothing will until they make something more intense. But I can see the smiler beating it in the long term as Nemesis will deteriorate faster as it gets older... :( But imagine the tickler in a few years. Flicking green algae at you as merlin wont pay to get it cleaned or replaced until they have too. :|
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97
Altontowersbarlow

I di this poll yesterday and The SMILER won  :D
Chaz

From my experience, and it was only one ride on opening day, it is definitely in the running.

I'm going back in a few weeks, once the ride is 'broken in', that'll be the real test.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
Fragga

Considering the smiler is new and exciting to everyone this is a bit of a stupid poll, give the smiler a year or 2 then see what people think, cause there is no way it's going to depreciate like a B&M does.
LPAJ13

At this stage, imo, MOST DEFFO! There are G's on Smiler which I didn't think possible. The main things is that it is very smooth. The theming is just EPIC and the inside decor... well I will not spoil it for those who haven't been lucky in getting corrected yet. I really did not think that any coaster uk wide could beat nemesis... I have been corrected otherwise.
Its not what ya take out that works, its what you put in that makes it work
A

As of Thursday, I shall know :) but realistically we won't know for 2/3 years until all the hype has died down, just like how some silly people thought thirteen was the best when it opened (you know who you are), and then they re discovered nemesis :P Yes, I know that may sound strange because I'm comparing thirteen to the smiler but the same logic still applies :)
Last edited by A on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
pedfly

After just coming off nemisis this moment and riding the simler this morning in terms of thrill I feel they are on par however in terms of nostalgia and back story good old nemmy just steals the crown. The smiler may become the nemisis of this generation in due time as the visual and ride aspects are truly something, you have to experiance, in my opinion nemmy still holds a dear spot for me.
Confuzzled

Well it isn't  that hard is it :moj
mousch

Having ridden both today,Smiler this morning and later this afternoon once it had warmed up a bit as it felt a bit slow this morning! And then Nemesis twice before I left at 4.45, I can say that compared to nemesis, The Smiler felt quite forceless except for the second airtime hill.
I will wait till The Smiler has bedded in for a few more weeks and ride again to see if it improves, but to me Nemesis is still the best coaster in the park.
Danny

If I want a short burst of thrill, then I'll go on Nemesis. But I feel that on every other factor [although maybe not re rideability, will have to wait until later on in the year for that], The Smiler wins.
Benjsh

I went today. 3 rides on Smiler and I can confirm it's now number 1 ride at the resort without a doubt.

Nemesis has had a good run and had nearly 2 decades at the top. It took something monumental to topple her and The Smiler has done it. Nemesis is still as good as ever though. The Smiler is just out of this world.
Shangalaing

Other - they are two different rides, the positive G forces on nemmie are more intense and the pacing that it has makes it an intense ride from start to finish. The smiler experiments with hang time and air time as well as positive G's and has breaks in its pacing with its block sections.

The smiler is probably overall a more complete ride but nemesis' uniqueness puts it up there.

Different beasts, lets see if in 15 years the Smiler is just as good, that will be the proof in the pudding.
Kiss my oblivion
Owen

A wrote: As of Thursday, I shall know :) but realistically we won't know for 2/3 years until all the hype has died down, just like how some silly people thought thirteen was the best when it opened (you know who you are), and then they re discovered nemesis :P Yes, I know that may sound strange because I'm comparing thirteen to the smiler but the same logic still applies :)
Well,I am going to be slated but I still admit TH13TEEN is my favourite and tbh NEMMESIS is quite low down the list for me...I'm sorry just don't get what's so special about it  :(
Anyway,I couldn't yet but on the visual impact basis the smiler wins any day  8)
bbooth2

the two rides are completely incomparable. its like comparing kingda ka with oblivion, just to completely different ride experiences.
astralAndy

bbooth2 wrote: the two rides are completely incomparable. its like comparing kingda ka with oblivion, just to completely different ride experiences.
They are of course quite different ride experiences, but I think the point is that many people have said that Nemesis is the best thrill ride overall at Alton Towers for a long time and the poll is trying to find out if those people may be thinking to change their minds about that after riding The Smiler. If you think about it Nemesis and Oblivion are just as different for example, but over the years that hasn't stopped people citing one or the other as their personal overall favorite thrill attraction at the Towers.
bbooth2

that's true, but my love for nemesis will never die, ive grown up with the thing, the smiler is beyond incredible, but nemesis is just a beautiful rollercoaster, ill have to vote them both the same im thinking, I cant down vote either of them :P
mattallennet

Alton Towers have been very careful to get a good balance of different rides.

Nemesis is a great example of an Inverted coaster - it's amazing because of the scenery, and because of some very good judgement and a little bit of luck. I love inverted coasters and that first little drop is amazing.

The Smiler is an excellent example of a sit down multiple inversion coaster and the airtime hills are cool.

I think that AT's care in avoiding 'treading on the toes' of other coasters on the park makes it very difficult to compare the coasters. It perhaps blew any chance of The Smiler being an overall 'world's ultimate' coaster (no exciting drop or launch etc - it's not a scary coaster). This contrast between coasters always sparks a debate at AT.

Nevertheless we have at least 2 coasters on one site that are capable of making the world stop and look at what AT have achieved.
George B

I've not had the joy of being corrected yet but I'm going to make my guess.
We were in the queue for nemesis on Thursday and we were discussing the smiler. I turned my attention away and noticed the cage with the skeleton in it near the vertical loop. I have been on nemesis more times than I can even be bothered to count. But I have never noticed it. A had a more sweeping view of the pit and realised how little you notice these things when you are zooming past it like the bus for example and the kitchen. So I looked around and realised how important Nemesis is to Alton Towers. Without it, the theme park would not have had the reputation as a place for thrill seekers to call home. Yes the Smiler has more inversions and seems more technologically advanced but they are two different rides with different ways of being thrilling.

Tl;Dr Nemesis changed Alton towers and Tussauds and I think that the smiler will fare just fine with nemesis for a few good years.

Thanks to NemesisRider for the signature
getothing

sorry for google traductor

Dont really compare the smiler with nemesis is unjust, nemesis is a coaster that offers a strong intense

adrenaline, nemesis is great my favorite coaster in the world, but offers something specific coaster is a most special, like a son and people who love this feeling.

The smiler is a coaster more competitive, more track, more investment, and is really cool, with the effects and displays, but really beats nemesis, yes and no, it is normal for a coaster with this structure and that spider with those effects are one thing that everyone really loves, such as perfect coaster but offers what it offers nemesis, the smiler is softer and has certain points where intense ma nemesis is therefore very strong balance with something is smooth perfection, is the marmalisation, but nemesis offers less intensity but all the time.

the smiler is over nemesis, but only for its theming and that their feelings are excellent, but if you want a strong adrenaline rush nemesis you see, it is normal for some people to say that nemesis is better, but not technically the reality esque smiler nemesis is much higher, but there will be people who prefer hitting nemesis.

But nemesis was the coaster that change alton towers, and has much more value, the smiler is the new beast is better than nemesis, but nemesis is unique, and you may remove his crown but is the coaster that can not be
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡