So has The Smiler topped Nemesis?

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.

Do you think The Smiler has topped Nemesis?

Poll runs till Fri Dec 01, 2056 2:04 am

Yes
46%
No
29%
They are about the same
15%
Other - please describe below
10%

Total votes: 249
Jack

I have to vote other, you just cannot compare these two beasts, They are 2 different coasters that are designed to different things, the smiler is as good as nemmy as a ride, but trying to say that one is better then the other is impossible :moj
TB2

At this point I prefer Nemesis and Oblivion to the Smiler. This is no criticism however as all three rides are exceptional. Once some of the fine tuning happens with Smiler such as the effects, the reliability (and some of the roughness knocked  out somehow) then The Smiler could overtake the over two.
1. Expedition Everest 2. Hollywood Tower of Terror 3.Superman De Acero 4. Katun and Nemesis 6. OzIris 7. Blue Fire 8. Black Mamba 9. Manta 10. Oblivion

Thorpe Towers 13

well as far as i know you can ride nemesis without a problem
hands in the air and scream!
jknelhams

Nemesis runs, smiler doesn't! No comparison! =P
nancarrow

I will have to ride the smiler a few more times! When the ride back up and running!
TheSmiler1998

Yes the smilers good and all and as is nemmy but my two favourites are stealth and blivvy as they're scary not just thrilling (I voted other)
@LukeSavidge1998 I follow back so hit follow button! #getcorrect #excited
We know what we are, we know what we are! Erm.... Europa League winners we know what we are! Doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
bensaund

The results of this are interesting, nearly half of you so far are saying "Yes it has topped Nemesis"

Hopefully the teething problems they are having will be fixed soon, I remember when Nemesis and Oblivion opened, the number of times they had problems was unreal, Oblivion must have broken down 5 or 6 times when I went back in 98. This was whilst I was in the queue.

I will cast my vote this weekend, hopefully if the ride is running.
If you go down to the woods today
MatthewR1990

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. You can't take anything away from Nemesis it is still an amazingly intense coaster but the smiler is just more. It's such a compost package.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
lewis97
Admin
Admin

MatthewR1990 wrote: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. You can't take anything away from Nemesis it is still an amazingly intense coaster but the smiler is just more. It's such a compost package.
I'll assume that was meant to say 'complete package', otherwise it doesn't sound that great :P
Owen

Aww,the poll ends just before I'm going to AT so I guess I'll vote on POV and vishal impact

POV
Now the smiler may have a lovely POV the only part that I get VERY interesting are the begging and the needles
However nemesis' POV is much more interesting by far
N-1
TS-0

THE RIDE
right no time wasting the ride seems better on the smiler
N-1
TS-1

Vishal impact
I must say IMO The Smiler presents itself much better than I feel nemesis does
N-1
TS-2

Theming
Nemesis
N-2
TS-2

Interactive theming
Obviously the smiler
N-2
TS-3

Backstory
VERY VERY DIFFICULT but I must say The Smiler just scrapes it for me so I conclude IMO The Smiler overpasses Nemesis by 50%
mudbath

Its hard to compare different styles of coasters however if faced with a choice of one last ride before i go to the great theme park in the sky it would be smiler for shear madness (its nuts) speed (when its working right) and overall atmosphere. However could i possibly have two last rides so i can be sure?
bluebluecow

other.

Nemy is more a thrilling heart stopping ride, intense and a bit scary, I scream on nemy

Smiler is fun, not scary and thats the diff for me. On smiler I whoop and laugh.

BUT if I could only ride one ride, it would be smiler. lol
bbooth2

nemesis has a very intense sense of speed and you acctualy feel asif your on a heart poundin coaster.

the smiler for some odd reason literally does make you smile, I was laughin and happy the entire time I was on that seat.
incredible

I don't know what it is though the smiler just doesn't intimidate me as much as nemesis does, and ive been on nemesis countless times.
Chris-TT

For me no, The Smiler is an amazing ride, it needs some slight re-profiling and I would love for more to happen as you enter the second lift hill. Now I realise Alton Towers aren't Disney, but having an enclosed show with Dr. Kelman when the ride stops rather than just a few video screens would have really added to the flow of the ride, and tell the ride story better.

I am being critical, it is a great ride with some amazing views, but not a Nemesis beater in my books.
Last edited by Chris-TT on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
getothing

the smiler is very difrent to nemesis,the smiler is turns+intense+airtime+smile+efects and nemesis is intense and turns, i think is  personal election ,but general the smiler is a little better ,is very popular and lovely for alton towers visitants ,the smiler is the new king of coasters ,think this ,shambhala and dragon khan ,yes its the same,the smiler is shambhala and nemesis is dragon khan ¡
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
ManiaMuse

Over on American coaster forums like themeparkreview they are all moaning about things like "it's not a 14 looping coaster because it has 2 lift hills" and that it's "2 separate coasters" implying that that makes it somehow not as good.

Lol.
Mattfat1

ManiaMuse wrote: Over on American coaster forums like themeparkreview they are all moaning about things like "it's not a 14 looping coaster because it has 2 lift hills" and that it's "2 separate coasters" implying that that makes it somehow not as good.

Lol.

Haha that's Hilarious...

It feels good to be making the yanks jealous for once :twisted:
DavidRock

Been on Smiler today (first train out and front row :D) and then did Nemesis straight after. I never thought I'd  ever see the day when another coaster has taken my top spot as I come of nemesis and wanted to go back on Smiler.....

Nemesis will still always have a spot in my heart though, bettered by a another coaster on my list but never forgotten
NemmyJunkie

I think I need to change my name to SmilerJunkie - I really think it was an amazing ride :)
DoubleOh7

Well back from park so now feel qualified to post an opinion on this!

Nemesis is a different kettle of fish altogether so comparing them is tough. I have to say for me personally I LOVED the smiler and I think it does top nemmy in terms of the actual ride and layout. I was really worried reading all the reviews saying the smiler was smooth - I like my coasters to really chuck me around rather than glide round the track so I for one am gratefull of its roughness ;) and the final loop before finishing at the station is absolutely to die for I loved it!!!

That said in terms of finish and attention to detail nemesis wins hands down every time. I took someone with me today who hasn't been since before nemesis was built (!) and too see her reactions to the red water, the bus and all the rest of it was fabulous.....I guess us lot are so used to the old girl we perhaps take stuff like that a bit for granted. The one thing that ruins nemesis for me is those god awful cheesy announcements when in the station - I hate them!!!