The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
User avatar
Nickolai
Member
Member
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:36 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Cobby wrote:To be honest the lifts probably feel worse on Smiler as both of them are not working as intended. With most gerst's the train stops at the bottom of the lift and the chain speeds up to get the catch car in place before slowing down so it gently connects with the train and then speeding back up to take the train up the lift. I don't know why but this doesn't happen on Smiler (I'm guessing either the train parks wrong or the computer is not quite calibrated properly) so what happens is that the chain slows too early and speeds up before its connected to the train. This caused an interested jolt last season, more noticeably on the vertical lift, as the catch car hit the train causing the train to move forward before sliding back into the catch car.
I am surprised nothing has been done to correct this by maintenance because I have noted this for the past few seasons. The jolts are really uncomfortable, compared to watching some footage from the ride in opening year. I do find it rather bizarre.
Image
Formally Smiler313
User avatar
Cobby
Member
Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: The Twilight Zone

Yeah it's a weird one especially because I can't imagine it being any good for the trains or the chain. 
Image
User avatar
AltonOperator
Member
Member
Posts: 367
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:46 pm
Location: Exactly 65.38 miles from Nemesis' entrance

Dom wrote:I haven’t said anything negative about others enjoying the ride. Everything I have said is my own personal opinion :) If people enjoy than they enjoy it. I am not the sort of person to hate on someone because they like something I don’t and if it came across like that than I apologise :)
You are quite within your right to hate the ride even if others like it. It's your opinion and to a certain extent I share it. I agree that it is rough and dirty and generally messy with theme and story. I think the best part of the theme is the music which is a shame because it's probably my least favourite part of the ride! I absolutely hate it! The queue always feels so long and loud. the only part of the attraction I like is the coaster. It's good and there are some forces in places. Not fantastic. It's even probably below Th13teen in my rankings.
Image
Image
Thanks Jack
User avatar
Sporech
New Member
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:34 am

It's a huge shame to see Alton neglect this ride so badly. Being at Alton on the Smiler's opening day will always stand out as one of my best memories and is really what made me become an enthusiast. I really love this ride, the layout and the theme etc. but it's really heartbreaking when you see the rust, grime and state of the ride. I really hope Alton give it some much needed TLC sooner or later. 
User avatar
MakoMania
Member
Member
Posts: 1615
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:29 am
Location: Who knows?

Single Rider signs have re-appeared around The Smiler :)
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
User avatar
Wagstaff04
Member
Member
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:22 pm

As well as that, the entire pit has been given a jet wash and the indoor areas of the queue and exit have been freshened up.
Image
User avatar
Chris
Admin
Admin
Posts: 2567
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2003 8:38 pm
Location: London
Contact:

I am hoping because Single Rider has been reintroduced, it means the baggage hold and batcher will be too. Fingers crossed..
User avatar
James89
New Member
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:26 pm
Location: Manchester

Definitely a smart move reintroducing Single Rider. Made no sense to remove it in the first place. Makes me wonder what else (if anything) they might reintroduce it to.
User avatar
GregH94
Member
Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:07 pm

Chris wrote:I am hoping because Single Rider has been reintroduced, it means the baggage hold and batcher will be too. Fingers crossed..
So far, batcher has - the old Fastrack queue is back in use so they’re needed.
User avatar
streetmagix
Member
Member
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:31 pm
Location: London, UK

James89 wrote:Definitely a smart move reintroducing Single Rider. Made no sense to remove it in the first place. Makes me wonder what else (if anything) they might reintroduce it to.
At a guess: Thirteen. The B&Ms don't really need it, RITA would be nice but if I remember correctly that was removed before the others. Wicker Man never had it. Baggage holds would be nice, or maybe outdoor lockers like at Universal, Europa and other parks. 
User avatar
DeadJack5
Member
Member
Posts: 876
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:15 pm
Location: :sus:
Contact:

I do think this is a step in the right direction. Single Rider queues are great for those quick rides or not wanting to drag the rest of your group. Hopefully throughout the season we can see the trialling on other rides and we may see a return in the future?
User avatar
wamdue
Member
Member
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:07 pm

Wagstaff04 wrote:As well as that, the entire pit has been given a jet wash and the indoor areas of the queue and exit have been freshened up.
Should this happen every off season or even on a day the ride is closed for some other reason?
User avatar
Justin
Member
Member
Posts: 2728
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:51 pm

Single riders are good, but they can be abused by large group at times, however, if it fills up empty seats then great. It is most certainly a step in the right direction though!

With regards to the pit being cleaned... at last!!
Let's hope the rest of the ride has been brought up to standards!
User avatar
Archermav
New Member
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:26 pm

All they need now is to fix the marmaliser effects and it should be like it was 2013/2014 (besides the amazing roar)
User avatar
Rob
Admin
Admin
Posts: 2386
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:05 pm
Location: Glasgow

Single rider on the Smiler is a smart move. I only got 1 go last year when with the family as had to queue for an hour and then do parent swap. I just hope its reintroduced to other rides too. 

*Prays for Wicker man SRQ
User avatar
PhNx Survivor
Member
Member
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:03 am
Location: Derby

Archermav wrote:All they need now is to fix the marmaliser effects and it should be like it was 2013/2014 (besides the amazing roar)
Emm.. and the original audio, and signage around the area don't forget!

Awaiting the season "Halfway Corrected" is brought back.
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”
User avatar
GregH94
Member
Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:07 pm

PhNx Survivor wrote:
Archermav wrote:All they need now is to fix the marmaliser effects and it should be like it was 2013/2014 (besides the amazing roar)
Emm.. and the original audio, and signage around the area don't forget!

Awaiting the season "Halfway Corrected" is brought back.
I see no reason not to add that back or add new audio at the halfway point at some stage, it’s very unlikely anyone would take offense now. 
User avatar
ROYJESS
Member
Member
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:36 pm
Location: Norfolk

Rob wrote:
*Prays for Wicker man SRQ
I would love to see a SRQ on Wicker man, but I can only see it working if you bypass the pre-show as groups of people can abuse it.
User avatar
AltonOperator
Member
Member
Posts: 367
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:46 pm
Location: Exactly 65.38 miles from Nemesis' entrance

GregH94 wrote:
PhNx Survivor wrote:
Archermav wrote:All they need now is to fix the marmaliser effects and it should be like it was 2013/2014 (besides the amazing roar)
Emm.. and the original audio, and signage around the area don't forget!

Awaiting the season "Halfway Corrected" is brought back.
I see no reason not to add that back or add new audio at the halfway point at some stage, it’s very unlikely anyone would take offense now. 
They probably won't because there is no benefit from putting them back. I also know that they rarely take care of signage once it is removed so it is likely that it is currently in a skip or in landfill unfortunately. The audio has obviously not been sent to the tip :lol but again there isn't really a reason for them to put it back. most riders have no idea that it was once there.
Image
Image
Thanks Jack
User avatar
Mikw
Member
Member
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:14 am

Nickolai wrote:
Cobby wrote:To be honest the lifts probably feel worse on Smiler as both of them are not working as intended. With most gerst's the train stops at the bottom of the lift and the chain speeds up to get the catch car in place before slowing down so it gently connects with the train and then speeding back up to take the train up the lift. I don't know why but this doesn't happen on Smiler (I'm guessing either the train parks wrong or the computer is not quite calibrated properly) so what happens is that the chain slows too early and speeds up before its connected to the train. This caused an interested jolt last season, more noticeably on the vertical lift, as the catch car hit the train causing the train to move forward before sliding back into the catch car.
I am surprised nothing has been done to correct this by maintenance because I have noted this for the past few seasons. The jolts are really uncomfortable, compared to watching some footage from the ride in opening year. I do find it rather bizarre.
Well, you'll be pleased to know that the lift chain jolts have now gone! Much smoother process now, and ALL the effects are working on the Marmaliser - credit where credit is due
Post Reply