The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
rosco1982uk

I'm actually quite disgusted that a rollercoaster crashed and it took 17 minutes before anyone dialled 999.
PJ.

rosco1982uk wrote:I'm actually quite disgusted that a rollercoaster crashed and it took 17 minutes before anyone dialled 999.
There is no defence for that.
ROYJESS

PJ. wrote:
ROYJESS wrote:The court case sentencing hearing is scheduled for two days. Here is the up dates

https://web.archive.org/web/20160926110 ... ph-8914914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Alton Towers Smiler 'operated in 46mph winds on day of crash against manufacturer 33mph limit guidelines"
Doesn't sound good does it. If someone drives over the speed limit, it isn't like the are asking for a crash but they can't be surprised if something happens. What could the court do worst case? Could they close the ride? (Not saying I think they should)

"No suggestion ride itself is unsafe - Both the Health and Safety Executive prosecuting and Merlin say there is no suggestion the ride itself was unsafe or inadequately designed, despite it being the first of its kind.

The court heard theme park technicians had sat down with the manufacturer to improve safety further and had introduced some "innovative" measures."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-engla ... e-37371229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Master_feedback

Dan wrote:
PJ. wrote:
ROYJESS wrote:The court case sentencing hearing is scheduled for two days. Here is the up dates

https://web.archive.org/web/20160926110 ... ph-8914914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Alton Towers Smiler 'operated in 46mph winds on day of crash against manufacturer 33mph limit guidelines"
Doesn't sound good does it. If someone drives over the speed limit, it isn't like the are asking for a crash but they can't be surprised if something happens. What could the court do worst case? Could they close the ride? (Not saying I think they should)
It's already been established that the Smiler is both "technically and mechanically sound" so there is no chance of it being closed permanently.

The worst case scenario is a hefty fine (probably 6 or 7 figures)
ITV are saying it could be an 8 figure fine 10 million or more would be a massive blow to Alton towers
Sawboss

It's a problem. The employer is blamed for the crash, not the employees, but the company gets a large fine, the company suffers and so it lays off employees.

What is the best way to handle an accident like this, because monetary punishment doesn't seem like the best way.

Edit: also I'd just like to say I've never watched any of the smiler crash videos. Because why the hell would I?? I don't take photos of car crashes. I'm not a ghoul.
rosco1982uk

The company should be fined. It was made quite clear in court today that employees - operating a large piece of industrial machinery - hadn't read operating manuals and had trained only by shadowing others on the job.

That's unacceptable and it's the fault of the company for not ensuring regular "official" training and indeed testing on employees' knowledge of the machinery they are operating.
mark_h

rosco1982uk wrote:I'm actually quite disgusted that a rollercoaster crashed and it took 17 minutes before anyone dialled 999.
I thought that there was communication between park first responders with the ambulance control room using their Airwave (emergancy services communication system) before that.
PJ.

£5 million fine, could have been s lot worse (and I think it should have)
xylyx

Yeah it could have been a lot worse, I think their actions since the crash may have helped as they have been exemplary. Personally, with a company as large as Merlin, it feels about right as it will punish without obliterating them.

The part I found wearying was hearing they linked downtime to your performance appraisal. Targets can be useful but wielded like that gets staff focussing on meeting them at any cost.
Liam.W

I didn't realise the empty train stalled at the top of the second part of the batwing upside down for a while before falling backwards to where the crash eventually happened! :yikes:
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

owenrita121

Liam.W wrote:I didn't realise the empty train stalled at the top of the second part of the batwing upside down for a while before falling backwards to where the crash eventually happened! :yikes:
Well how on earth would it have ended up stalled at the bottom of the batwing otherwise..?
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
Dan

owenrita121 wrote:
Liam.W wrote:I didn't realise the empty train stalled at the top of the second part of the batwing upside down for a while before falling backwards to where the crash eventually happened! :yikes:
Well how on earth would it have ended up stalled at the bottom of the batwing otherwise..?
It could have simply been slow enough that it didn't make the inversion without stopping at the top of it.
PaxmanValenta

The independent report into the whole incident is actually quite interesting. The CCTV footage makes me wince every time I see it knowing that the carriage was correctly stopped by the control logic to then be overridden by staff.

The Smiler is a fantastic piece of engineering and I would like to think that this incident will only help future designs of coaster. Much like the aviation industry learns lessons from accidents, hopefully lessons will be learnt from this incident too.
Just keep pushing buttons...
Ladyofthelake

Hi all,

just a quick reminder that we do have a dedicated topic for anything relating to the 2nd June 2015 incident therefore please use this to discuss anything relating to that and the recent sentencing hearing.

dazza4783

It got so close to being so different. If only the wind was blowing the other way.
ryan8741

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/al ... im-8063874" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the people who lost their legs has revisited the park.
^ Credit to Lewis97
^Credit to NemesisRider

Rollercoasters are all you need in life...
Sawboss

That would be an awkward encounter wearing Smiler merch...
Owen

The news story is from May :)
Sawboss

Owen wrote:The news story is from May :)
I didn't even click the link since I don't wanna give the Mirror hits :D
ryan8741

Sawboss wrote:
Owen wrote:The news story is from May :)
I didn't even click the link since I don't wanna give the Mirror hits :D
True! I just remember seeing it and wanted to add it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
^ Credit to Lewis97
^Credit to NemesisRider

Rollercoasters are all you need in life...