The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
definedancing

From what I've seen and on my visits, The Smiler queue time stays almost consistently busy, even when the park is relatively quiet. Go midweek, term time and in the rain and you're looking at 30-60 minutes, go in better conditions or the weekends and you're looking at 60-200 minutes. I always do The Smiler first and last; personally I don't fancy standing around for 2-3 hours waiting for another two rides throughout the day when there are others things to be done.
I'm pretty much regurgitating what everyone else is saying lol.
looptheloop

First post :-)

Have been on The Smiler twice at Scarefest last year, in the dark was amazing!

As said doing The Smiler first is a good way to reduce the wait.
JammyBand

In my personal opinion, the Single Rider Queue is the best way to get on quickly. But my top, top tip is go in the SRQ at the very, very start of the day. I did that, and I got on the ride literally within 2 minutes. Not joking. DRQ at any part of the day is almost guarranteed to be shorter than the main queue, but the only thing is that the SRQ moves very, very slowly, giving the impression you are not making progress.
stealthsmiler

We did SRQ firt time on and both of us were even seated together.
sully1311

Haha, walked on the first week of October last year! Three times!
daveclarkedaveclarke

Very random but does anyone think that the smiler baggage area slows the queue down too much? Only reason i ask as last 2 times I've ridden we've literally gone straight up the steps onto the car waiting in the station (was on 5 cars).
Sr88

daveclarkedaveclarke wrote:Very random but does anyone think that the smiler baggage area slows the queue down too much? Only reason i ask as last 2 times I've ridden we've literally gone straight up the steps onto the car waiting in the station (was on 5 cars).
I personally had to wait another 5 minutes after giving my bag in, although it was busy and I've only been on once.
definedancing

I think the baggage area is a bit of a mess tbh, it's not so much the people staffing it but it does slow you down and it does seem like a bit of a scramble to give in your stuff and move towards the stairs before everyone else lol.
stealthsmiler

Why have Alton started to introduce staffed baggage holds. Thirteen, Nemesis Sub Terra and The Smiler have one which seems like a waste of staff, plus the old baggage holds cant exactly be too unsafe as the old rides would have had them removed. They also slow down both the queue and leaving the ride.
Towers jamie

I think the new baggage system works well and speeds up things, riders dont have to walk across the train to put their baggage at the other side, instead they just get streight on and go
Danny

I would guess its to offer guests a place to put their baggage that will be kept safe and no be left at risk that someone else could take it. I don't think it affects queues massively as people who need to use these baggage holds have to wait, whereas people behind them who don't need to can pass and go in front of them.

Also at £6 a locker there's probably been some moaning so it works out well.
stealthsmiler

It slows down leaving the ride though and is also a waste of staff. I find Nemesis' baggage hold quicker than 13s.
Sentri558

I found 13's baggage area perplexing but vaguely effective, guess I was right place right time...
definedancing

Th13teens bagging area is like miles away. Different park but I hate the bagging area for The Swarm as well, that one seems like hassle.
Sentri558

Enough about Th13teen :P can someone actually explain what The Smiler queue is like just beyond the *SPOILER* illusion section? I haven't ridden it yet but my fam tried to explain it... Not very well though :(
sw7nutter

After the illusion section *SPOILER* not as good as everyone says it is, it is just the baggage area and a staircase to the station.
wakey1512

I'd like to know if it is as rough as SAW?
Chaz

wakey1512 wrote:I'd like to know if it is as rough as SAW?
SAW is worse. For sure.
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7
Jack

^if you get a restraint with no padding ;) imo, the Smiler is a lot worse for roughness :)
PeteB

The Smiler has always been smooth for me. I don't get how people find it rough.

Go ride Grand National or Wild Mouse at Blackpool and then tell me The Smiler is rough :)