The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
mollies_mum

Can someone please tell me what the best time of day is to ride the smiler, should we head there first as soon as the gate opens or should we leave it until later on in the day? We are going this Thursday and some schools are on Easter holidays so we are expecting some crowds, thanks
Burniel

I'd try the end of the day...
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
SuperWill

mollies_mum wrote:Can someone please tell me what the best time of day is to ride the smiler, should we head there first as soon as the gate opens or should we leave it until later on in the day? We are going this Thursday and some schools are on Easter holidays so we are expecting some crowds, thanks
If you are entitled to ERT, then I suggest you run to the corner of the Battle Galleons lake, use that ERT entrance and then run across the field to X-Sector and wait in The Smiler pre-queue as you will have little time to wait if your near the front of the pre-queue. However, if your not a fast runner and easily run out of breath, then either buy Fastrack for The Smiler (which costs £10) or use the Single Rider Queue. However, if you use the Single Rider Queue, you will have to be split up from your friends/family. And the last resort is trying to queue near the end of the day. I hope I have helped you. :)

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
mollies_mum

Thank you for your replies. We don't have ERT as we are using Tesco clubcard vouchers so I may invest in a fast track, I will see what the queues are like and then make a decision. Thanks again for your help :lol
memgrubb

Went today. All the projectors have been fixed in the dark room.

Didn't get to go on it unfortunately as when we got to the front of the queue, the ride went tech (apparently someone had thrown up on the ride).

Tried later on in the day but the queue was closed due to another 'technical issue' so rather than risk it we chose to go on another ride before the park closed.

My own personal opinion?

If 'The Smiler' was a horse, it would have been shot by now. I wonder if AT kept the receipt?
toliver92

Went on a 4 times yesterday, 1 on the front and the other 3 in the middle of the train, have to say wasn't rough at all which was good. I also want to add that the staff, especially the ones downstairs really good, they seem to acting in the smiler character more with the laughing at the guests and chasing them is very amusing
Danny

On my visit all the ride ops were in character other than the guy who controls the three queues to baggage. They all done a great job and made you jump as you were getting on/off.
In the morning the smoke above the station was working, but by the afternoon they had stopped working. When I asked they said they had run out, and that the smoke during the disorientator only came from the station tubes, which I knew was wrong but just making an excuse.
homer22422

Alton towers may have had a rough start to the year but I think it is now running quite smoothly, which is a good think as you all will know XD
LittlestarRed

I finally rode the smiler for the first time last week.

I was so unsure what to expect. I confess to loving 'Saw: The ride' despite the roughness, but was a little concerned about how bad a similar ride with 14 inversions might be.

The reviews I've read are such a mixed bag. I was braced for being heartbroken, and getting off feeling disappointed or having a terrible headache!

As it was, I was pleasantly surprised! I found it so smooth and it was such good fun! Despite the slightly unsettling theme, It's hardly the scariest ride out there, but really fun! The smiler is an apt name!

I confess it is now my 2nd fav coaster at AT, after Nemesis of course!
Justin

Nemisis is very good, however The Smiler has to be my favorite coaster of all Merlin UK parks. I'm glad you enjoyed it LittlestarRed!
stealthsmiler

I agree (with the exception of Stealth) Last time I went, i did Smiler, Nemesis, Smiler. It wasn't until riding it the second time that I could finally admit that I enjoyed The Smiler more than Nemmy.
Towers jamie

I agree however i do get more of an adrenaline rush on nemmy but over all i prefure the experience of the smiler
LittlestarRed

dropkick10 wrote:Nemisis is very good, however The Smiler has to be my favorite coaster of all Merlin UK parks. I'm glad you enjoyed it LittlestarRed!
Thanks! Me too. It was such a relief to finally ride it! Being unable to ride it opening year was like torture, Haha!

Nemesis is still my absolute fav coaster though! She's a tough act to follow!
Luviico

I'll be going to AT soon and i'm hoping i'll be able to pluck up the courage to brave the smiler for the first time, I have a few questions first though:

- Is it a smooth ride and is it a head banger?
- Do you get off with a headache? i've seen quite a few people say they do
- I know the ride is an inversion fest so they aren't going to be far apart from one another but do you have enough time to get your bearings and recover before the next inversion? I never go on rides that spin because my ears just can't take it and I get incredibly off balanced and I fear the many inversions of the smiler might have the same affect and cause nausea? I'm fine on rides such as Nemesis though, I don't have motion sickness I just don't deal well with being thrown about and spun round.

I'm hoping some of you can help with my concerns as i'm desperate to give it a go! :D
lewis97
Admin
Admin

It's probably not as rough as you may be expecting, after what lots of people have said. Apart from the jolts on the first inverted drop, exit of cobra roll, and 13th inversion, I wouldn't describe it as being a head banger overall.

The bunny hops and vertical lift hill give a momentary break from the inversions, and I have never come off feeling ill. I would say that it helps to know the layout, as then you know what you're expecting during the ride.
stealthsmiler

It was a lot better than I was expecting only the last part was very rough and hurt my neck on the second ride, although not the on first. I didn't feel sick but did have a slight headache after the second ride. Well worth it though. I think it is a better layout than Nemesis, and if it had a stronger theme (IMO it had potential and a good idea but is quite weak) it could have beaten Nemmy.
homer22422

Wow
Everybody must be made of rice paper because I have been on the smiler many times and didn't get hurt or feel any jolts

I mean come on XD
Alex

homer22422 wrote:Wow
Everybody must be made of rice paper because I have been on the smiler many times and didn't get hurt or feel any jolts

I mean come on XD
You have never felt the jolt on the cobra roll?? Wow :yikes: You can see it on all of the pov's...
Balb0wa

i must have been on it 25 times, some rides are fine, others painful , depends where you sit and what car.

one time at the front the last 2 turns , proper made me move in my seat and my back killed, im 6ft pretty stocky, no other rides bother me.
Dan

The only part of the ride that really causes me any discomfort is the exit of the cobra roll. While there are jolts on the first inverted drop and inversion above the shop they don't affect the ride too much for me.

A lot of it depends on which train you get. I did 3 rides on The Smiler yesterday, and on all 3 I was lucky to get train 1, and they were very smooth.