The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
gouldy

I shot a quick little video of the general atmoshpere in the main queue area.  Just so that those of you who aren't there can imagine you are haha.

LCFCjames

Alton Towers have just posted some more nice photos on FaceBook. There are a few photos of the station queueline 8) (P.S. I'm jealous of everyone who has got to go on the Smiler today  :( )
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 200&type=3
Owen

So do they only let 16 people in the station at once?
dangerousdave1983

Guys I am going tomorrow with my wife, not sure how to plan my day.

Do i start by going on all the other rides first like nemisis & air taking opportunity of the short ques, then get some lunch a go on other rides, then que up around 3-4 for Smiler??

how would you guys plan it.

DD
Chris
Admin
Admin

Thrillmad wrote: So do they only let 16 people in the station at once?
No - they were probably just batching at the time or there weren't any more riders at the time to board.
Owen

Oh and how'd you get in the front row,luck?
jbuckton18

dangerousdave1983 wrote: Guys I am going tomorrow with my wife, not sure how to plan my day.

Do i start by going on all the other rides first like nemisis & air taking opportunity of the short ques, then get some lunch a go on other rides, then que up around 3-4 for Smiler??

DD
I would do the other rides first , have lunch , do some rides you missed off and then at 4-5 ish then you should queue up and make it your last ride of the day and people will be leaving the park at that time ish.

OR

Get to the park early and as soon as the gates open , rush to the smiler to make sure you are first or one of the first riders of the day :) This was you wont queue for a while and then  do the rest of the park after that :)
Some say they've seen angels, Ive seen The Smiler - That's enough
Gax

Love the entire queue, the proximity to the ride, the projections, the screens, everything! Even the overhead caging! This ride just looks incredible.

Just wondering, is there any kind of pre-show/video shown detailing the backstory?
bealyboy

So is there anymore back story with Kelman etc
SMILE.ALWAYS
dangerousdave1983

jbuckton18 wrote:
dangerousdave1983 wrote: Guys I am going tomorrow with my wife, not sure how to plan my day.

DD
I would do the other rides first , have lunch , do some rides you missed off and then at 4-5 ish then you should queue up and make it your last ride of the day and people will be leaving the park at that time ish.

OR

Get to the park early and as soon as the gates open , rush to the smiler to make sure you are first or one of the first riders of the day :) This was you wont queue for a while and then  do the rest of the park after that :)

Coming from Andover it's a 3 hour drive, we are leaving about 5.45am! i have my redbull ready :)

Hopefully it being so early the traffic will be quiet with birmingham being the only busy part, knowing my wife she would want to do smiler last which i think is a great idea cause would it be another soft opening or 10 am opening?

DD
jbuckton18

dangerousdave1983 wrote:
jbuckton18 wrote:

DD

OR

Coming from Andover it's a 3 hour drive, we are leaving about 5.45am! i have my redbull ready :)

Hopefully it being so early the traffic will be quiet with birmingham being the only busy part, knowing my wife she would want to do smiler last which i think is a great idea cause would it be another soft opening or 10 am opening?

DD
Well in that case dont rush yourselves to get to AT. Take your time and make the smiler the last ride of the day:) and im not sure what time it will be open tomorrow. I think it will be 10am.
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le?

How long do you think the queuing for the smiler will be tomorrow? More than today, or even Sunday?
I need to get down there!!! I can't just sit a watch :D
Is there a meet up anytime soon?
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr. Brightside
getothing

is that not the right topic but there some small review of the smieler?
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡
dangerousdave1983

arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? wrote: How long do you think the queuing for the smiler will be tomorrow? More than today, or even Sunday?
I Suspect it will be double than today, as it was a soft opening and wasn't officially announced till about 11am, now that the website and social media site confirm it's open plus it being the weekend + payday expect it to be busy.
jbuckton18

dangerousdave1983 wrote:
arE Y0u R3AdY t0 Sm1Le? wrote: How long do you think the queuing for the smiler will be tomorrow? More than today, or even Sunday?
I Suspect it will be double than today, as it was a soft opening and wasn't officially announced till about 11am, now that the website and social media site confirm it's open plus it being the weekend + payday expect it to be busy.
Last weekend of half term
pay day today
Been confirmed by AT as open
People will get word of how good it is from today

Yehh busy :/ 3 hours ?
Ladyofthelake

Has anyone been using the single rider queue today? If so how long has that queue been, and do you miss out on any of the indoor effects by using it?
aircanman

Has anyone noticed the little yellow guards on the front of the trains?!  Someone said this would happen in the construction topic.
dangerousdave1983

jbuckton18 wrote:
dangerousdave1983 wrote:
Last weekend of half term
pay day today
Been confirmed by AT as open
People will get word of how good it is from today

Yehh busy :/ 3 hours ?
Without a matter of a doubt, the downside to this everyone else will have the same incentive to go to smiler last, which means i guess almost all rides by 11-12 will have 60 min ques. I say get there earliest as possible start at the back of the park nemisis, air, nemsis sub, thi3rteen, then get lunch do some other rides and head towards smiler about 3.30.
Fred_Delicious

I was one of the first in the queue today and WOW. The atmosphere was AMAZING. Everyone cheered for every little thing that happened. The queueline was so intimidating, the ride looks colossal when you're underneath it. As for the ride itself, easily the best overall ride I've ever been on. The indoor heartline section is breathtakingly different, the first lift is STEEP, the whole thing. Wow. I waited 2 1/2 hours outside the ride for it to open but it was worth every second. If you're going on the Smiler soon, you seriously have something to look forward to! Have a great weekend everyone! I know I'll be buzzing right through til Monday now : )
AndreJD

Now that it's open and it doesn't matter anymore, is there any chance of TT reaching out to Alton Towers for comment on the closure, the valleying etc? You guys must have a good relationship still since the early days of construction coverage so they might say a little bit more or confirm some of the speculation.