The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
schmatt

Towersnerd live have posted a complete walkthrough of the outside section of the queue. I'm surprised at how open it actually looks, probably feels even more so when your actually walking through it. There is actually very little area where the is mesh over the queue and when you look at it, the track is only feet above it so I can understand why they needed it there.

It may be a cattlepen on a similar scale to Rita's. However there is definitely alot more to look with this beast towering above you. Alton Towers. Your doing it right.

EDIT: Also love how the ORP shows the whole car. Just need to get a group of 16 friends together so we can get a photo for this and oblivion. :clap:
Last edited by schmatt on Fri May 31, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishfingerish

Note how, at the end of that video and just as they enter the indoor section, you ca hear the guy go 'Oh my go...' An then the video cuts out!
Towers Times' resident Muser

Oh yes! Please check out my YouTube channel if it's not too painful:
www.youtube.com/user/hpvideosofficial
KittyKat

So excited looking at everyone's photos and stories. Can't wait till I can go! Missed out by 2 days. :( Looked online and it says 180 mins queue time... Wow. That takes some dedication.
JayJay90

Anyone thats been on the ride, what happens after the first drop inside? are there lights etc?
secondly, whats up the top of the rainbow stairs?
A

KittyKat wrote: So excited looking at everyone's photos and stories. Can't wait till I can go! Missed out by 2 days. :( Looked online and it says 180 mins queue time... Wow. That takes some dedication.
You think that's dedication? Speak to the guy who was on the shoutbox this morning (can't remember his name) who's booked flights from Los Angeles this morning so he can ride the smiler tomorrow. Coaster enthusiasts are MAD, but I like their style :D
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
Barty

KittyKat wrote: So excited looking at everyone's photos and stories. Can't wait till I can go! Missed out by 2 days. :( Looked online and it says 180 mins queue time... Wow. That takes some dedication.
Its definitely worth it though! It may be 3 hours long but as soon as the queue gets close enough so you can see the smiler, it will never be boring! I really hope Alton Towers realise how much of a one in a million coaster they have created! Every part of this ride, be it the queue, indoor queue, the ride itself or the shop is extremely well done with some very very clever effects and themeing such as
Spoiler
the projection mapping and interactive elements in the shop
!
I can honestly see this coaster being voted number one!
gouldy

So me and t'missus decided to go to the park today, thinking there was an off chance it might be open.... so glad we did!  Waited in the morning near Smiler after over hearing that there was a chance it would be open today from one of the staff. Waited about 2 hours or so, then it opened and we were let down into the queue area for another half an hour or so of queueing. Absolutely well worth it! We were queueing with some very friendly and very excited girls, though, which... you know... just makes everything better, ha.

Took some snaps and that.

The ride was completely awesome! It was a lot smoother than I was expecting it to be, given that it's Gerstlauer; however there were a few jerky spots, the most noticable being on the second part of the Cobra Roll - a pretty big jerk there. But very smooth on the whole.

That 3D projection mapping is all on the indoor queue area, and not in the tunnel on the ride as I previously thought it might be.  The indoor section of the queue is really awesome, though, to be fair!
Barty

smile.always wrote:
Fishfingerish wrote: Note how, at the end of that video and just as they enter the indoor section, you ca hear the guy go 'Oh my go...' An then the video cuts out!
I wonder what the hell is in there!
Here's part of what's in there! Just a taste of what's in store when you ride this... (Caution, Spoilers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znJFyGLy3aM
schmatt

Barty wrote:
Here's part of what's in there! Just a taste of what's in store when you ride this... (Caution, Spoilers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znJFyGLy3aM
You know its good when your just as excited to queue up for the ride as well as actually ride it! Honestly though I cant actually get over the quality of finish on this thing! The queue, the station and the shop look fantastic! Definitely makes you forget about a certain set of miss-coloured pipes!  :D :D
Fishfingerish

Are peeps willing to explain what happens in the indoor section of the ride?
Towers Times' resident Muser

Oh yes! Please check out my YouTube channel if it's not too painful:
www.youtube.com/user/hpvideosofficial
bbooth2

what are the queue lengths like now, heading up from Congleton at 4
AndreJD

Fishfingerish wrote: Are peeps willing to explain what happens in the indoor section of the ride?
It's already been explained, it's the same as the POVs, there's no special element in the indoor section.
Brazilian13Guy

Any sign of the inoculator working? Can't see it
Captain Chimp

bbooth2 wrote: what are the queue lengths like now, heading up from Congleton at 4
Looking at http://www.ridetimes.co.uk/ it's at about 120 mins.  God speed you, brave traveller!  :D
Rollercoasters4Life

Brazilian13Guy wrote: Any sign of the inoculator working? Can't see it
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=571644216200094&set=vb.168150643216122&type=2&theater

Around the 11/12 second mark in the video above near the left side you can see The Inoculator - it sprays a mist section just before the train gets there. Looks good! Going tomorrow and can't wait to ride this, it just looks spectacular!
Brazilian13Guy

Rollercoasters4Life wrote:
Brazilian13Guy wrote: Any sign of the inoculator working? Can't see it
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=571644216200094&set=vb.168150643216122&type=2&theater

Around the 11/12 second mark in the video above near the left side you can see The Inoculator - it sprays a mist section just before the train gets there. Looks good! Going tomorrow and can't wait to ride this, it just looks spectacular!
Looks good, not awesome, but very effective!
Thanks  :D
Last edited by Brazilian13Guy on Fri May 31, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpecyBeast

Just a quick question, is there a separate queue for the Front Row, or is it similar to TH13TEEN
Pleaseeee Populate my forum for Media Studies

http://thrillmakersofficialfans.net84.net

bbooth2

Captain Chimp wrote:
bbooth2 wrote: what are the queue lengths like now, heading up from Congleton at 4
Looking at http://www.ridetimes.co.uk/ it's at about 120 mins.  God speed you, brave traveller!  :D
cheers, last minute decision :P

sunday is just too far away..
JamieH93

SpecyBeast wrote: Just a quick question, is there a separate queue for the Front Row, or is it similar to TH13TEEN
Hope there is a seperate queue line for the front row.
I really dont mind waiting abit longer :D!!
Credit to lewis97

You belong to the smiler
Owen

SpecyBeast wrote: Just a quick question, is there a separate queue for the Front Row, or is it similar to TH13TEEN
That does have a front row queue doesn't it?
And I'm not sure about the smiler