The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
S.J_O'Grady

What people just don't seem to grasp is that this is not even news. It's not the slightest bit concerning or unusual. People tweeting about how the park needs to close forever just aren't realising how insignificant the whole story is.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
Tryst

Katie Hopkins has now weighed in on the latest non-incident on the Smiler: http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-n ... ng-8748029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully we can transport her off to the USA like we did with Piers Morgan. Transportation is still on the statutes, right?

As always, any news involving the Smiler doing something even slightly unusual gets blown out of all proportion. This is merely the media trying to make sensationalist headlines out of old news. Having said that, it's interesting to note that when M&D's Tsunami ride came off the rails, it didn't get anywhere near the same scruitiny and vitriol as Alton Towers did.

Perhaps a silver lining to this cloud is that it has taken attention away from noted oxygen thief Donald Trump, Brexit and GBBO.
Nickolai

Surely can't they roll the trains back onto their brake runs to evacuate them? Anyway, we need to do something about the press these days. If I get stuck on a ride at Towers and they ask for my say, I will just tell them all about ride safety and that they should post the right stuff. For me this is as bad as all the Youtube Drama happening at the moment... This needs to stop.

Hopefully, Kay Burley isn't on Sky News tonight...
Formally Smiler313
S.J_O'Grady

I'm sort of hoping that they'll get The Smiler open again today to prove that there isn't an issue. But at the same time, they have to make it look like they're making an effort to check it over.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
MakoMania

The Smiler has reopened according to the Resort's twitter team :)
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
S.J_O'Grady

Here's what Krazy Kay has to say about it

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NemesisRider

I've been doing a little bit of leg work for you all :P I managed to get talking to an eye witness on Twitter and I now have a pretty good idea of the chain of events.

DISCLAIMER: whilst this is probably accurate, I have made a few guesses as to what has happened going off what I've been told. If this is not accurate then I apologise, as I was just using evidence available to me at the time.

From what I understand, a black rubber cover off of one of the upstop/sidewheels (I was unable to identify but from the witness' words I think its the side ones) flew off when it went over the second airtime hill leading into the cobra roll. Apparently it came from the back of the train, so I assume it was one of the sidestop wheels on the final car, specifically on the train's left side. In their words it was a "black ring".

These are the exact photos they used when describing the part. And this is where they said the part landed:

Soon after this was seen the ride was E-stopped (possibly using on the newly installed side boxes?). A member of staff near the ride area was also seen on the phone soon after the part "flew off".

Very soon after the part flew off, someone picked up the part and gave it in to Towers staff, where I was promptly taken away. Nottoo many people saw to get pics, so that's get for Towers' media rep :)

As Mako said, at 4:19 the ride reopened, so it's not a long term issue. One of the trains has been taken off to the storage track at the side, presumably to have a service later. This is definitely not deserving of the coverage its been getting for certain though.

EDIT: I'm afraid I can't give the source's identity as I feel it would be a breach of their privacy :)
Tommy85

Its just massively annoying that the media can report such inacurate material! Alton can't win. They stop the ride to make 100% sure it's safe and get hounded for it.
The media act like the ride is unsafe and unfortunately people who don't know better believe them. Even during the horrendous accident last year the ride system itself acted correctly and safely. Lazy reporting just to get a headline shouldn't be allowed! Grrrrrrr
Aidan Lowe

It's just been on the national news now :? why they have nothing of more importance to cover baffles me.

One of the passengers on at the time saying it was very tiresome and painful on his shoulders because his whole weight was on the restraints. That's a lie right there.. sure he's not thinking of Galactica stoppage :lol
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Jack

I honestly feel like we need to stop even mentioning this type of thing, it is not worthy of discussion and is an everyday occurrence, not only this but the very mention of these articles encourages them further as they become popular with the national press. I recommend discussing the ride breaking down, that's what this discussion is for, but the media side should be left alone as much as possible :)
theparklifekid

*sighs* Well, here we go again.

I do hope this doesn't affect anyone planning to visit the park anytime soon, I just wish people knew the true facts and not what various news stations are reporting.
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Altontowersbarlow

I'm completely against the media and I do agree that this event has been over-sensationalised, but should anything be falling off a ride if it's claimed to be checked everyday? I'm well aware it proves no risk to anybody and the ride is 100% safe, but the park should still be excruciatingly checking every part of that ride to ensure media storms like this are unable to happen. Again, I realise that all the correct safety procedures were followed and I'm not supporting the news or negative public opinion,but I can't help but feel components of trains would not be falling off if checked well. Please politely correct me if I'm wrong but pieces from the actual trains falling off rides is rare?
Justin

Not even worth the click on the article!
All I see is Alton doing their job, following safety proceedures, just like any other day!

Let's all move on!
homer22422

Wow, they are now claiming that the roller coaster got stuck upside down.

This proves how they are not researching that well due to the fact that they later showed the ride stuck on the chain-lift XD
S.J_O'Grady

I think they're counting lying on their backs as upside down. In which case, I shall be going to bed soon... upside down.
NemesisRider

S.J_O'Grady wrote:I think they're counting lying on their backs as upside down. In which case, I shall be going to bed soon... upside down.
Oblivion the world's first vertical upside down drop roller coaster... Sounds about right.

I have to emphatically agree with Justin and Jack here, don't click the articles. If you do we contribute to the problem, every click gives them more revenue and encourages this vicious cycle of stupidity. If we don't and can encourage people we know to not even click the silly clickbait articles we know have no substance, we might be one step closer to stopping them. :)

Slightly off topic, but I think one person basically posting an explanation of the events so others don't have to read the mainstream media's articles and give them clicks is a good idea when this sort of thing happens. :)
70s_kid

Altontowersbarlow wrote:I'm completely against the media and I do agree that this event has been over-sensationalised, but should anything be falling off a ride if it's claimed to be checked everyday? I'm well aware it proves no risk to anybody and the ride is 100% safe, but the park should still be excruciatingly checking every part of that ride to ensure media storms like this are unable to happen. Again, I realise that all the correct safety procedures were followed and I'm not supporting the news or negative public opinion,but I can't help but feel components of trains would not be falling off if checked well. Please politely correct me if I'm wrong but pieces from the actual trains falling off rides is rare?
I agree, I have no particular concerns about the safety of The Smiler, I ride it regularly and consider it probably much safer than my daily commute for example.

However it does seem to be more prone to bits dropping off than other rides, or have I just been brain washed by the media? I'm ready to be corrected if necessary ;)

I would have thought a wear/friction component such as this would be one of the most obvious things to check daily and would be replaced regularly and within the manufacturer's recommended intervals.

Are there any ride engineers who can comment on what the usual daily checks are and if bits dropping off is a regular occurrence on all rides?
Owen

I am beginning to get so sick of hearing about this silly ride! Wether it be from media or enthusiasts everyone is over reacting to every tiny little thing at this point and it's boring if you ask me. The exact same cycle keep recurring and it's just pointless at this point surely?

1 - Media "The Smiler Did X Today"
2 - Enthusiasts "The media know nothing, let's all complain now"

Am I the only one who finds that incredibly tedious? Evidentially complaining isn't going to stop anything so why bother, why put the effort into giving a reaction which at this point people have been giving for the past year. Blimey people are going mad over this thing in equal measure and it's insane to watch how one ride can cause such a divide between people.

At this point pulling it down is probably a good idea to stop this cycle! :lol
Sawboss

Owen wrote:Blimey people are going mad over this thing in equal measure and it's insane to watch how one ride can cause such a divide between people.
I reactivated my facebook account yesterday as I was feeling particularly irritated by things and wanted to post an angry rant, and this latest Smiler related media clickbait splurge was the final straw, but then I thought 'hang on, what's the point?'. The internet is already full of angry rants and the back and forth between 2 sides of an argument is what continuously blows inconsequential events into major drama typhoons.

I choose to throw up my hands and walk away from social media, facebook account once again deactivated without a word.
Owen

I feel like people could learn a lesson or two from you Sawboss, personally I just hide anything to do with the ride as it's just the same thing over and over again.

May I say my post was in a general sense and not specifically toward TT members, but at whoever has been involved in the reaction (good or bad) toward the media coverage and the attraction really. :)