The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
theparklifekid

Not sure if this has been asked, but has the "Halfway Corrected" announcement take place before the second lift hill?
A TowersTimes Middle East Reporter!
Dan

theparklifekid wrote:Not sure if this has been asked, but has the "Halfway Corrected" announcement take place before the second lift hill?
No.

Both the announcement and the "Corrected" lettering of the sign have been removed.
homer22422

The media are now complaining about Merlin and how they are being too safe.....
http://www.itv.com/news/central/2016-05 ... ercoaster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bensaund

and before the crash a soldier was noy allowed on Air as he only had 1 leg.

these stories come out from time to time.
Robster

The press will post anything which they think will make them money :-# :-# :-#
Credit to NemesisRider
NemesisRider

The phrase "You're damned if you do and damned if you don't" comes to mine.
Liam.W

The info boards are back up around The Smiler!

Photo credit goes to ThemeParkIncorporated
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2632!
Ride count 2021: 416!
Cred count: 167!

Adam.W

Correct me if I'm wrong (no pun intended ;)), but didn't the info boards used to be by the exit, around by where the double batwing is?
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Adam.W wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong (no pun intended ;)), but didn't the info boards used to be by the exit, around by where the double batwing is?
They've been added back there too. Leek Signs posted some photos on Facebook a few days ago.

MakoMania

Some potentially concerning information over on Towersstreet's facebook, obviously we don't know the extent of the problem, or if there is a problem at all, but it seems as if they are investigating if The Smiler is "moving" a bit, if you know what I mean.......

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Morgan

The Smiler will have been designed to wobble a little bit :)
MakoMania

Morgan wrote:The Smiler will have been designed to wobble a little bit :)
Nah, that's not what I mean, I mean the foundations are moving.
Morgan

Oh! That seems a bit dodgy.
118hazaman

Haven't they have problems with foundations from the start?
PaxmanValenta

Are there not similar theodolite marks on 'blivvy too? Surely being built on similar ground that is subject to a little movement?
Just keep pushing buttons...
Altontowersbarlow

If there is a problem I hope that Alton Towers close the ride to rectify it for a short period of time, just to be on the completely safe side, and then reopen it when there's no risk of any type of incident. Also I feel it would be in the parks best interest to publish a non-alarming statement in advance,informing guest that the ride is closed for scheduled matinence and will reopen soon. Hopefully this would allow the problem to be fixed without causing much of an issue in the media and would avoid snooping questions. I realise it's not an imminent danger and couldn't really cause any specific incident as such ,but this ride needs to be watertight in operations at the park for the rest of its time there to ensure the parks reputation is re-built.
bensaund

Maybe everyone, is reading too much into this. it could be simply to monitor it.
Adam.W

I did notice this when I went a month or two back, it's mainly around the second dive loop and it wobbled left and right, maybe between 50cm and a meter, but it was hard to tell as it was from a distance. Whether that's anything to do with it, I don't know, but at the time I presumed it was to do with the structure not having too much tension and causing cracks in the foundation.
MakoMania

Adam.W wrote:I did notice this when I went a month or two back, it's mainly around the second dive loop and it wobbled left and right, maybe between 50cm and a meter, but it was hard to tell as it was from a distance. Whether that's anything to do with it, I don't know, but at the time I presumed it was to do with the structure not having too much tension and causing cracks in the foundation.
It's not about the ride itself wobbling a bit, that's perfectly normal. It is about whether the actual foundations are moving/sinking.
xylyx

If there is an issue I guarantee they will deal with it properly. It wouldn't surprise me if this was just another layer of safety checking as part of making sure nothing goes wrong. Lol