The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
MakoMania

Smiffy107 wrote:Me and my sister are going to visit in June and we both decided even if it was human error that caused the smiler incident, we aren't chancing it. I shan't miss riding it, I have plenty of other awesome rides I cannot wait to get on anyway :P
](*,)
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
Smiffy107

MakoMania wrote:
Smiffy107 wrote:Me and my sister are going to visit in June and we both decided even if it was human error that caused the smiler incident, we aren't chancing it. I shan't miss riding it, I have plenty of other awesome rides I cannot wait to get on anyway :P
](*,)
you might bang your head against a brick wall (which I don't advise) but the smiler is awesome don't get me wrong, its just we feel we can probably give it a miss, even if queue times for it are alot lower than normal for it. :)
The woman asked 'spare a farthing for a beggar', the earl cruelly dismissed her, and instructed his driver to head back to the towers, scorned the old woman screamed the curse 'FOR EVERY BRANCH OF THE OLD OAK THAT FALLS, A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY WILL DIE!'
Aidan Lowe

Depending on what you and your sister like doing (me, I only tend to do the coasters) you won't be leaving yourself with an awful lot to do with all the closures this season across the park then I personally wouldn't be staying off a ride that is open with probably average queue times.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Owen

Moving swiftly on. Is there any new merchandise this year?

Minus the chocolate bar 6 pack that is.
Jack

I did see a light up cup that I believe to be new :)
xylyx

Going tomorrow with a friend and can't wwait to get back on the Smiler. I think Galactica is sucking in a lot of people and causing the low queue times along with the time of year, it's the new shiny and it's at the opposite end of the park, even with the skyride it's a lot of travelling to get from one to the other.
Thorpegirl123

I'v just got tickets for 3rd May, so hopefully the queue times will be almost as they are now. If they are then it will be nice to go on a few times. Iv only ever been on it once and couldn't fully appreciate it as I was feeling sick from Enterprise :lol

I can't say I am that interested in Galactica so if everyone's jumping on that then that suits me! I will go on it but it doesn't excite me enough to queue for longer than 10mins.
NeoXIII

Not sure if anyone has spotted it, but AT has removed the blur from all the screens again. Every bit that contains "get corrected" is still missing, but other than that everything else is back! :)
TheBeast

In the incident, people mentioned a specific type of brakes that stopped the car from moving at the top of the climb before it was released. What are they called?
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!
Owen

TheBeast wrote:In the incident, people mentioned a specific type of brakes that stopped the car from moving at the top of the climb before it was released. What are they called?
Stopping the lift chain?

If you're referring to the brakes in both lift hills, they're magnetic brakes.
Adam.W

Block brakes?
MakoMania

The Smiler is currently closed due to high winds.

Wind is only 20mph, seems a very low wind restriction is now in place on the ride.
Dan

MakoMania wrote:The Smiler is currently closed due to high winds.

Wind is only 20mph, seems a very low wind restriction is now in place on the ride.
Gusts are a maximum of 37mph which as far as I'm aware takes it over the maximum permitted wind speed it is allowed to operate in.

They can't be too careful so it's the right thing to do.
MakoMania

Good point, I only looked at wind speed not gusts.
xylyx

Just saw ridetimes and wondered if it was the wind. Glad the weather station is doing is thing.
118hazaman

Going back months, did we ever find out what the numbers on the supports at the bottom of the site meant?
Ryan.B

I believe they're to help staff check which are which, there's one with 3 on after you enter the queue and look right.

Also, barely any extensions were open for Friday.
RobHand

Does anybody have a high res photo of the new entrance/sign (it's different to how it previously looked). ?
MakoMania

RobHand wrote:Does anybody have a high res photo of the new entrance/sign (it's different to how it previously looked). ?
There's a pretty good photo of us in front of The Smiler sign on TowersTimes' facebook page :)
Owen

It's literally just that the lettering isn't placed directly onto the metal board with the holes in. There's a solid rectangle they've place on ontop of the metal, which has the letting on it.

Here's the image MakoMania was referring too -