The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
JammyBand

sully1311 wrote:
JammyBand wrote:
sully1311 wrote: How can a ride be safe when bits fall off it and hit visitors on the head?
It was safe enough to ride otherwise it wouldn't have been open.
Really? Really?
It obviously passed the H&S test, which means (by law standards) it was safe enough to open and safe enough for the public to ride. Whether that could be said now is a different question.

(Please don't hate me...)
Last edited by JammyBand on Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan

Let's not forget that the ride has to be signed off by tech services every morning before they can allow guests on board.

I'm certain that there was nothing untowards during testing that would have given them any indication that this would happen. If there was, they wouldn't have opened the ride.

All we can do is have faith that they will work their socks off over winter to get it up to the standard it should have been when it opened.
sku11dude123

I feel like something really BAD is going to happen because of a future incident. I kinda feel like the ride may do something fatal to someone causing it to be ordered to be took down  :|
Alex

I very much doubt that. ..
Capt.Barnacles

White blocks on the chain. What ARE THEY? I keep seeing 'em, asking people what they are, and NOONE KNOWS!
What are they?
A

Now I would hope that the ride is safe to use... But then again I'm going on thursday so I hope they hurry up and make it safe :P
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
bluesonichd

Buschgardensfan wrote: White blocks on the chain. What ARE THEY? I keep seeing 'em, asking people what they are, and NOONE KNOWS!
What are they?
I believe they are blocks of lard, helps makes the ride run smoother  ;)
Danny

Just got back from my trip at towers today to find the whole of x sector shut all day. Yes there was a crane but it wasn't taking the whole chain out I assure you. Possibly they could've run the chain so the damaged part was at the top so they could just take them parts off. No one could get anywhere near the entrance to x sector. It was blocked off by sonic and right up at the towers by the mazes. It's such a shame that this ride has to close 3 others, one being major but it's got to be done.

Spoke to engineers who say it will be tested as the park is closed tonight, providing all goes well it should continue operation tomorrow
phildenholm

First post here so don't shoot me!

I was lucky enough to visit on 12th oct when it was bouncing with rain. We went on the smiller early in the day after waiting for an hour and I can honestly say it was amazing, so much so we went on again at about 4pm. By this time the queue was shorter at about 40 mins, but the rain was really coming down. They were playing a message saying if the weather gets worse they would have to stop the ride. We got on and I can honestly say the ride was far from smooth, I put it down to the rain maybe even the wheels getting a bit loose with heat as they day went on but after reading posts on here I wonder now if it was more to do with the poor wheels or track I have read about.

Such a shame the ride is awesome and AT/Merlin are simply the client here, they have paid their £18m for a working ride and they have got a bucket of nuts that's so far got them loads of bad press.

I'm going again on Saturday for the fireworks, if the ride is up and working I will be going on in the dark there is no question about that, but I could totally understand if they give it up for the rest of the season and work on getting it 100% for next year.
Last edited by phildenholm on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A

To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if it was open tomorrow or Wednesday since a whole misalignment of the track when the bolt popped out only shut it for four days, and let's be honest that situation could have been way more serious if a car had been going round that area of track at the precise moment the incident happened, it could have been curtains for the riders! Yes it is unfortunate that the guide wheels hit the riders but I just don't think this incident is as serious as the one in July :)
Last edited by A on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P
Danny

I spoke to engineers and ride operators and they all told me a meeting was held the night of the incident and they confirmed no one was hit or injured by the falling bearings. Think about it, if they were coming off the chain hill surrounded by a steel case how on earth could they have hit people?

As they say in this day and age, where this happens, people tweet, blog and post things in seconds to millions of viewers and it gets largely exaggerated.
Last edited by Danny on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aircanman

So it's these blue things that came off. There is no way they would have just come off. I'm thinking a portion of the track has been damaged on the lift, and the motors just sheared these things right off.

JAMMYD777

But the objects that flew off were black in colour. Surely it couldn't have been these blue chain guide wheels. That's what is puzzling me. :s
SW7:
aircanman

JAMMYD777 wrote: But the objects that flew off were black in colour. Surely it couldn't have been these blue chain guide wheels. That's what is puzzling me. :s
Imagine any coloured item covered in grease and oil over a prolonged period of time. Not only that but the pictures of the fallen wheels were taken against bright sky, so the colour would not be produced anyway
Lee

danny.g97 wrote: I spoke to engineers and ride operators and they all told me a meeting was held the night of the incident and they confirmed no one was hit or injured by the falling bearings. Think about it, if they were coming off the chain hill surrounded by a steel case how on earth could they have hit people?

As they say in this day and age, where this happens, people tweet, blog and post things in seconds to millions of viewers and it gets largely exaggerated.
I'm not saying anyone's lying, but Towers have confirmed with the national news agencies that the incident happened, and that people were indeed injured as a result.

People are very quick to see Health & Safety as a reason why the ride is safe. A machine is only as safe as the people following the procedures and policies. Health & Safety may have signed it off in the standard it is at the time, but it is not infallible.

In very simple terms it comes down to this:
- A member of the public gets on The Smiler
- An incident happens with the chain
- A member of the public is injured
- Medics are called

That should never happen on any rollercoaster, old or new. Towers need to take a very long hard look around and evaluate what is occurring. The park is extremely lucky that no one has been injured by falling objects. This isn't a case of bashing Towers, it's a case of evaluating their obvious lack of care for guests. I know of other incidents on park involving injured guests that haven't made the tabloids.
deeve

This ride is getting on my nerves. I detest this manufacture. I am not going to sing B&M in this rant. All coasters have their moments despite who build them. This project has been poorly managed from the start. Thirteen may not hit the adrenaline sweet spot but it never was as bad as this. They closed the ride and sorted it out. I am not saying Thirteen didn't have issues, I am simply saying the project was managed better. It's a shame this would have been great for Alton Towers if this ride had not had so many near fatal problems. Stuck on lift hills etc is one thing, bits of metal flying off is quite another.
Last edited by deeve on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
JammyBand

Well, the ride is not open today, so it's not fixed yet. The whole of X-Sector is closed as well. (source: ridetimes.co.uk) The crane must still be there.
Danny

deeve wrote: This ride is getting on my nerves. I detest this manufacture.
Gerstlauer aren't to fully blame for this project. This project was doomed to have issues when management issued the words that the ride would open on time in March 2013, way back in May 2012. It became apparent in my eyes that the ride wouldn't be open in March during October when they still hadn't begun to pour concrete for the pit.

The fact that the standard safety procedures weren't carried out in the first place is a worrying issue and shows that the ride was built to be open as quickly as possible, not as safely as possible. Gerstlauer wouldn't have had a say in the majority of the corner cutting that was undertaken for this project.

They do produce some great looking rides [Karacho at Tripsdrill looks like a decent ride and was opened after The Smiler, as does Firechaser Express coming next year at Dollywood]. I'm not a specific manufacturer fan boy in order to defend any of them, but it's growing tiresome seeing people on here, and on TowersTimes social media slating Gerstlauer and only Gerstlauer for all of the project downfalls when in truth, it falls down to almost every single person involved in the project.

I personally believe that everything within the ability of the technical teams is now being done in order to get this ride working again before the season ends in 5 days. The closure of an area with another major coaster and two flats rides days before the season ends, just to perform work on what appears to be the most serious incident of the year hopefully shows how committed they really are. Having already experienced it for myself in the dark [which is the only highlight to this ride for me now] I'd personally rather the Resort just keep X Sector open minus The Smiler until next year. However I know plenty of people who haven't had the opportunity to ride The Smiler at night, so I'll be crossing my fingers for them and any of you who also haven't yet had the chance. It'll be a push to get the ride open for Friday at the earliest, but it'd be fantastic to see The Smiler see the season out with one last ride rather than lying in X Sector in a SBNO state.
aircanman

Credit Roodlesnouter for this image, but also it could have been the little wheels on the chain sprocket thingy at the top of the lift, look closely you will see them.

andymac746

From that pic it looks like the wheels are missing from the left hand side of the drive.

Oblivion seems to be open today :)