The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
dazza4783

Here is a concept video for the inside queue line, could be cosidered a spoiler if you haven't been on the ride and don't want to know what is inside the queue building. So if you don't want to know, don't watch. Everyone else enjoy.

Also, does anyone know why the smiler was closed this morning. I know it was due to be closed for planned maintenance this afternoon, but it has been showing on ridetimes.co.uk as being closed all morning.
Will hopefully be on park on thursday so want to know if it is likely to be open that day.
JAMMYD777

dazza4783 wrote: Here is a concept video for the inside queue line, could be cosidered a spoiler if you haven't been on the ride and don't want to know what is inside the queue building. So if you don't want to know, don't watch. Everyone else enjoy.

Also, does anyone know why the smiler was closed this morning. I know it was due to be closed for planned maintenance this afternoon, but it has been showing on ridetimes.co.uk as being closed all morning.
Will hopefully be on park on thursday so want to know if it is likely to be open that day.
From an image posted by Towersstreet, it appears that they have been working on the support for the first dive loop and the lower section of said support is currently covered with a tarpaulin of some sorts. Maybe they have noticed some subsidence and are try to rectify the problem for the upcoming Scarefest period. As for whether it will be open on Thursday, it's anyone's guess really although there has been no word from Towers on the matter.
SW7:
Danny

The smiler currently showing as closed on ride times
lewis97
Admin
Admin

danny.g97 wrote: The smiler currently showing as closed on ride times
It has been closed since 1pm today for planned maintenance.
JAMMYD777

lewis97 wrote:
danny.g97 wrote: The smiler currently showing as closed on ride times
It has been closed since 1pm today for planned maintenance.
It's actually been closed all day today with the bottom of the first dive loop supports covered with a tarpaulin and the only answers being 'It's closed to prepare it for Scarefest'. It's a real shame for guests visiting today especially with the notice on the website that said it would be open until 1pm. Maybe subsidence has occurred with that support?
SW7:
Hello Tom

I'll certainly be annoyed if it's closed tomorrow considering they advertised a set time for the maintenance.

Here's hoping.
Last edited by Hello Tom on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cubwolf

Maybe they have poured some fresh concrete in there and it's being covered to keep the rain out?
Zach

From what another said towers site have posted on there FB page pics show them to have done extensive concrete re pouring in the bottom pit around certain footers with yellow dots on them and there appears to be a lot
Aidan Lowe

It's been a long wait but I finally rode The Smiler for the first time today, enjoyed it so much I had 3 goes.

Really decent ride, only part I didn't enjoy was the vertical lift. That second bunny hop is my fav, lovely feeling :)
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
Jamie

How good is the single rider queue on The Smiler?
Finally getting corrected this Halloween!
"ENTER VALHALLA!"
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Jamie wrote: How good is the single rider queue on The Smiler?
Finally getting corrected this Halloween!
If there's a really long queue then it's definitely worth it as long as there aren't people queuing beyond the yellows signs where the queue splits into three. I used it during my recent trip to Towers, and you generally queue for about 15 minutes. Once you're released to go up the stairs, you're on in a matter of minutes.
SamP

Can I make something brutally clear to everyone? The Smiler is NOT a Eurofighter! Gerstlauer state that The Smiler is an Infinity Coaster!

Proof: http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/referenc ... ler-en-US/
JammyBand

I would just like to say that I'm sure The Smiler will have an on-board ride video (probably for 2014). If you are on the correct train, on the correct row, there are video cameras pointing at you. There is also a large box saying (On-ride video) at the bottom of the train, which clarifies that this will almost definitely happen.
sully1311

SamP wrote: Can I make something brutally clear to everyone? The Smiler is NOT a Eurofighter! Gerstlauer state that The Smiler is an Infinity Coaster!

Proof: http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/referenc ... ler-en-US/
Pointed out a few weeks back sorry!
TheOutpatient

It wouldn't surprise me as the trains have fins/brushes on them. I believe these are to transmit data from on board the train to the station.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Janoski

They need to do something about the lingering smell on the restraints, the smell was of a BOish/old rainy water esq smell and it was knocking me sick because my luck had me allocated to the same train on three occasions yesterday.  :(
Aidan Lowe

When I went Thursday Rita also had that smell, it's foul when you are seated but when you're on the move it isn't noticeable.
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
KoasterKraver

What do people think of The Smiler in the dark?
Last edited by KoasterKraver on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maliluph

I didn't think that it was anything special to be honest. It left me a little underwhelmed.

I didn't think that the lighting was especially good. The trains didn't light up as had been reported so a bit meh from me. Still a good ride though wether it's light or dark.
TheOutpatient

the screens probably looked cool
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/