The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Danny

thats quite understandable really, its a monday
Forza_Dan24

themealgang wrote: On a completely different note, The Smiler now has a technical name/ coaster style! Gerstlauer have named it the 'Infinity Coaster'. Interesting. Wonder how many more of these will be built!

http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/referenc ... ler-en-US/
I couldn't help but chuckle when I read "‘The Smiler’ is topped off by the new-designed, comfortable trains..." ;)
Smile. Always. :moj
Big thanks to lewis97 for the signature!
Vladimir Bobinski

Well I got my second ride in on Friday, knowing what to expect this time, I actually really enjoyed it more this time around, especially the second and final bunny hop.  So much fun.  It certainly is a juddery ride, but really not in a bad way, it's fun, in some ways when Swarm opened, it was too smooth, it was ridiculously comfortable, it's perhaps loses it soul.  Smiler definitely has soul and personality.

I personally think the Infinity trains are far more comfortable, the seats feel slightly deeper and of a softer material, the restraints more substantial, more accommodating.  Although they clearly haven't perfected the timing yet, I'm really impressed with the through put of the ride with the turnaround, simple little things like the restraints self releasing make the whole process loading/unloading much quicker, my only wonder is why the unloading wasn't kept separate.  Plenty of room for it.  Not a big deal mind.

I sincerely hope this ride ages better than Saw does, it really has brought new life to the X-Sector and the sight of the completed track from Oblivion is breath taking.
Kirsty25 wrote:
Vladimir Bobinski wrote:
I've only been on the ride once on a very busy day, but my impression was it was the same style of restraint mechanism used on typical euro fighters.  Is it close to allowing someone the same size on saw?

The reason I ask is I'm going with a couple of friends on Friday but I'm concerned as one of my friends couldn't get on saw last time due to his quite large shoulders stopping the rest of the restraint coming from anywhere near his belly.  (My main gripe with OSTR's).
Yes I believe they are the same style as Saw.
Well, I went on Friday, my friend said there was far more shoulder room than on Saw.  They are definitely higher.
TheOutpatient wrote: I also like the garage start up with the LED batons very much.
Agreed, I think anyone who hasn't rode it for the first time is surprised by the speed and force than it goes through the station section.  Then baton lights kick in, it sets the whole mood for what you are really in for.
danny.g97 wrote: thats quite understandable really, its a monday
It peaked 90 mins on Friday, averaged 45 mins.  I got on first thing in about 20 mins.
Last edited by Vladimir Bobinski on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burniel

^yeah but that's a Friday
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
TheOutpatient

I was on park yesterday. I really have to credit the strobe in the Optical Room. It wasn't running last time I went but with the music and the projections everything really came together to give that feel of a big, brainwashing machine. This is a theme I would have had trouble with working on myself because its kind of subtle. It must be the first time people moving through a cattle pen style que looked awesome, haha :)

On the ride itself - I really love the rolls and the vertical lift. This is definitely a progressive coaster.

Oh another thing!! There is a hint of the Bubbleworks in this ride. Its something in the music - the way if uses sound FX and a kind of 1 & 5 march a bit like this old song: Dr Kelman is like a slightly realer, darker version of Professor Burp where instead of creating fizzy drinks, the people are the drinks that are made fizzy/happy as they are put through the scary institution of The Smiler. Its as if prof Burp got evil in his old age and took to pharmaceuticals and such instead of fizzy drink. I know I would have gotten angry if they did to my factory what they did to his.

Last edited by TheOutpatient on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Altontowersbarlow

It's good that they are starting to add new effects , fingers crossed for the tunnel lights!
sully1311

Just back from the park. I think today must of been the quietest day so far this year (post-Smiler) it was 0 minutes from around 12.30pm til close! You could literally just walk on to the ride!

Last edited by sully1311 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mac359

sully1311 wrote: Just back from the park. I think today must of been the quietest day so far this year (post-Smiler) it was 0 minutes from around 12.30pm til close! You could literally just walk on to the ride!

wow, so jealous :x haha how many rides did you manage to get? :)
sully1311

mac359 wrote:
sully1311 wrote: Just back from the park. I think today must of been the quietest day so far this year (post-Smiler) it was 0 minutes from around 12.30pm til close! You could literally just walk on to the ride!

wow, so jealous :x haha how many rides did you manage to get? :)
5, could of got a lot more, but I like other rides too. Even the Smiler gets a bit boring after 3 goes in a row!
TheOutpatient

thats crazy. I wonder what is causing this? Has the weather been forecast to be really bad?
We had a thunder storm here last night and there was lightening flashes every 5-10 seconds!! Never seen it like that.
Or are people choosing a different day out cause of the price?
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
mikecloud1984

Kids are back to school, unis and colleges have started too.

Simply this is the quiestest time to visit.

We would have had these queue times on Tuesday had the schools in Staffordshire not been on strike - but even then we only queued for a maximum of 30 minutes!
TheOutpatient

but there many days where kids are at school but its busier than that.
Maybe its the fact that no one wants to take a holiday as soon as term starts?
That kind of thing is good to know for future reference  8)
Jack

TheOutpatient wrote: but there many days where kids are at school but its busier than that.
Maybe its the fact that no one wants to take a holiday as soon as term starts?
That kind of thing is good to know for future reference  8)
Or maybe it's the fact that it costs...£60 to get a day off :burn:

But yeah, I'm jealous of EVERYONE who went to AT with the queues that short :(
Martin

Is it just me or does the guy in the pic look like he is having or needs to pee...lol
BOW TIES ARE COOL!
robrymond

Queue time today was 60 mins max. 30-40 mins on average. Compared to what has been said this week...the queue was clearly biggest today. The park felt quite busy too at times. Lots of school aged kids and some families with kids too (clearly not bothered by a £60 fine!).
Rob Rymond - www.robrymond.com
redpiggy

I haven't been to Alton Towers in what feels like ages!! I'm going on Monday and quite frankly I can't wait!
Sounds like the queues have died down significantly now everyone is back at school so I might finally get my 2nd (3rd/4th?!) go on The Smiler!
It will be interesting to see how smooth/rough the ride is now compared to a few months ago though. I was at Thorpe Park last week and went on Saw for the first time and it was so rough and jolty! I have to say I'm a little bit worried about The Smiler in the future  :|
themealgang

Anybody else noticed how much the restraints stink after it has rained? Rode it on Saturday and I nearly gagged when I pulled the OSR down!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
lewis97
Admin
Admin

themealgang wrote: Anybody else noticed how much the restraints stink after it has rained? Rode it on Saturday and I nearly gagged when I pulled the OSR down!
I was there Saturday and I don't remember it raining. However, I do remember the person next to me saying that they could smell the stale water from the spray of The Inoculator...
sully1311

themealgang wrote: Anybody else noticed how much the restraints stink after it has rained? Rode it on Saturday and I nearly gagged when I pulled the OSR down!
Yes, was there Thursday and they absolutely stunk!
Kirsty25

The rain makes the paint or.whatever the ostrs are coated with come off, it's stained my smiler hoodie. They do stink, I.thought they smelled of sweat though...as did rites incidentally