The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Danny

Of course people would go on it! That's pretty much proved with roller coasters all around the world. All I said it people would think it's more un safe
Shutterbug

Therideman11 wrote: Went on it again today and I felt another massive jolt near the end. My bruises have doubled in size and amount  :|
Yeah, I find on the 3rd to last (ish) invert it has a pretty bad jolt on all 6 times I've been on it and been on all rows now...Learned to brace myself better after the first time but still quite a nasty jolt  :? No whiplash at least  :lol:
Danny

I have won 2 4x unlimited smiler fast tracks and theme park entry. I already have a day trip booked for 4th November. A Monday school day. Is it worth me using 1 then?
Jack

danny.g97 wrote: I have won 2 4x unlimited smiler fast tracks and theme park entry. I already have a day trip booked for 4th November. A Monday school day. Is it worth me using 1 then?
Use it when it feels like it would be best, it should be quiet on a school day as the hype has now died down, save as many as you can for a busier day if your going again this season (are they only valid this season? if not, use them next season :D)
Danny

jackandylan123 wrote:
danny.g97 wrote: I have won 2 4x unlimited smiler fast tracks and theme park entry. I already have a day trip booked for 4th November. A Monday school day. Is it worth me using 1 then?
Use it when it feels like it would be best, it should be quiet on a school day as the hype has now died down, save as many as you can for a busier day if your going again this season (are they only valid this season? if not, use them next season :D)
They are valid until August next year so shall probably save them till then as I know the queues have really died down now. Thanks :)
SPAD

Jamie wrote:
Scooby252 wrote: Hello there ,I'm planning to go to alton towers midweek in mid October but because of certain reasons I can't arrive at alton towers until 11.30am and not fond of waiting more than 45 minutes for the smiler riding together would anyone recommend me to purchase a fast pass from their website ? . Looking at the current ride times if it's dry they still go up to 90 to 100 minutes at around midday but in 3 weeks time I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated thanks people .
You could always use the Single Rider queue.  It's free, but you probably won't sit next to your friends.
What it doesn't do however is stuff up the main queue for the purpose of money grabbing - it fills the empty seats :)
maximum queue length today was 20 mins... i rode it six times!!!!!!!
SMILE - ALWAYS!
Vladimir Bobinski

jackandylan123 wrote:
Ready_23 wrote:
ST-Chris wrote: a coaster with 14 loops, vertical lift hill and lap bars

get real... obviously due to safety issues is why its got shoulder restraints

i'd rather be safe than buzz off having a lap bar haha
Blue Fire has a lapbar and it has a pretty intense zero g roll in it so obviously lapbars are safe otherwise that wouldnt be allowed
yes, and also the fact that only incredibly large people would have to worry, for everyone else, they are as safe as OTSR's
I also have to say I find the defacto "safety" answer just ridiculous as to why they went with OSTR.
Vladimir Bobinski

jackandylan123 wrote:
themealgang wrote: On a completely different note, The Smiler now has a technical name/ coaster style! Gerstlauer have named it the 'Infinity Coaster'. Interesting. Wonder how many more of these will be built!

http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/referenc ... ler-en-US/
Been mentioned above ;)
Interestlingly, it's not the only model, Karacho at Tripsdrill, it looks like your typical 8 seat Eurofighter.  I guess there are lot of technical changes under the hood.

Random, thought.

I've only been on the ride once on a very busy day, but my impression was it was the same style of restraint mechanism used on typical euro fighters.  Is it close to allowing someone the same size on saw?

The reason I ask is I'm going with a couple of friends on Friday but I'm concerned as one of my friends couldn't get on saw last time due to his quite large shoulders stopping the rest of the restraint coming from anywhere near his belly.  (My main gripe with OSTR's).
Last edited by Vladimir Bobinski on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirsty25

Vladimir Bobinski wrote:
I've only been on the ride once on a very busy day, but my impression was it was the same style of restraint mechanism used on typical euro fighters.  Is it close to allowing someone the same size on saw?

The reason I ask is I'm going with a couple of friends on Friday but I'm concerned as one of my friends couldn't get on saw last time due to his quite large shoulders stopping the rest of the restraint coming from anywhere near his belly.  (My main gripe with OSTR's).
Yes I believe they are the same style as Saw.
LevSusenka

Having finally had some free time from work to go since it the ride was finished I managed to get over and try it out finally. Went with friends who are from Blackpool and they did nothing but rip and moan about the smiler all day before and after going on it.

I don’t really get that attitude though. Sure it was quite shaky and a bit painful around the head for a new ride but it was fun and I did smile so it worked. For a first ride I didn’t mind waiting in the queue to experience it all and I did enjoy the ride. Although not convinced in a slow moving queue inside you want that strobe going off in your eyes all the time.

Not sure why my friends have branded it worst ride in the uk and are making an effort not to go on it though. Seems like hate for hates sake.

But I do now see peoples worries about the smoothness. I found the only way to not hurt my head was hold it away from the restraint which of course wouldn’t be the best plan with the jerking around. But them I’m shorter than most people.

Overall enjoyed despite it being the first ride to make me feel a little unwell.
Balb0wa

I went on opening day, rode the front, thought it was pretty smooth.

Been back again today, rode it 4 times, single rider queue 20-25 min when main queue was 1hr plus, 2nd row, 3rd twice, and back row, i thought it was rough as anything.

Still enjoy the ride though. Will see if i ache in the morning
TheOutpatient

Remember in the advert there were some spiraling orange lights?
Well in this video you can see something quite similar at 3.15
This is the Bund Sight Seeing Tunnel in Shanghai, so called because the sights you see are a plethora of different lighting effects on the walls of the tunnel, including a lovely fibre optic section. Those who were hoping to see some light effects in the tunnel, this video is for you!
Last edited by TheOutpatient on Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Themeparksandy1981

Maybe they were planning on adding more effects in the tunnel but as the opening date was pushed back twice they cut out theming the inside and outside of the building.
The Smiler

Themeparksandy1981 wrote: Maybe they were planning on adding more effects in the tunnel but as the opening date was pushed back twice they cut out theming the inside and outside of the building.
Yeah, I feel that inside felt a bit rushed. The exit corridor is superb, so I would of except that level of theming all round the building. Wasn't it confirmed though that they wanted to do more with the exterior?
Smile even though your heart is breaking smile even though it's aching...
TheOutpatient

when this season closes they'll have their first good opportunity to add to it. I hope they do but I don't see a whole lot of suggestions round here - which is really unusual!- And I'm not saying this is true, but there are some areas of this ride which almost look like they were meant to be added to - as I have said before, that would be a pretty decent marketing strategy - to build and put part of the budget aside, see what riders suggest, then build more.

I also like the garage start up with the LED batons very much.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
TheAdvocate123

Happily, I was the sixth public train to be on the smiler and the queue was 3 and a half hours behind me, it was winding it's way up out of x sector, and around the front of the towers!!
Zach

TheAdvocate123 wrote: Happily, I was the sixth public train to be on the smiler and the queue was 3 and a half hours behind me, it was winding it's way up out of x sector, and around the front of the towers!!
Ahh I was first train advocate123, and proud to say I go down in the history books, what time did u start queuing ?
King Nemesis

I was on the third public train :)
sully1311

5Min!!
iBacon

sully1311 wrote: Image
5Min!!
I was just going to put about this, I was shocked! And it's not the last ride in the list!
Thanks to Lewis97 for my Amazing Signature!