The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
themealgang

The worrying thing is, The Smiler is getting rough and those restraints are starting to grip where it hurts for us blokes... especially when the train goes through the batwing! :shock: Also, paint work is starting to chip on the entrance I've noticed and also the track has worn very quickly. Still a great coaster though!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Lucieloo

I havent actually read anything positive from people on here under the smiler topic for what feels like weeks.
Ever wonder if negative thoughts are causing transference!?

I know I am a bit biased, seeing as its special to us because we got engaged on it, but still I think people should give it a break. Its clearly suffering due to the fact it was constructed in the freezing cold weather, then we had that massive heat wave and now the weather is wet. They cant do everything and run it as much as its been used the last few months.

If people want things changed or painted then it will need to close and then there will be more moans.
I will be very sad if it suffers downtime for Scarefest because I want to ride it in the dark but I think we need to be a bit more understanding while its going through a rough patch!
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
Hari

For The smiler fast pass, do you have to book a time and are the times only after 1pm like it is at thorpe park?
NR
Wedjie

For the first time, I believe, since it opened - The Smiler is not currently the longest queue in the Park!
Lucieloo

Hari wrote: For The smiler fast pass, do you have to book a time and are the times only after 1pm like it is at thorpe park?
You do book a time but we usually go to the information bit first and chose which slot we want. We could chose anytime we wanted! This will change as they get busier during the day obviously so ther earlier you go the more choice you have..
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....
tracey.foster.54

Just had an email from Alton Towers saying that The Smiler will be closed when we visit on Monday and Tuesday, and if I was going just to ride The Smiler they would change my booking free of charge.
Ladyofthelake

tracey.foster.54 wrote: Just had an email from Alton Towers saying that The Smiler will be closed when we visit on Monday and Tuesday, and if I was going just to ride The Smiler they would change my booking free of charge.
That doesn't sound good :(
Maybe they're shutting it down to try and get it in some sort of reliable state for Scarefest?
tracey.foster.54

ladyofthelake wrote:
tracey.foster.54 wrote: Just had an email from Alton Towers saying that The Smiler will be closed when we visit on Monday and Tuesday, and if I was going just to ride The Smiler they would change my booking free of charge.
Maybe they're shutting it down to try and get it in some sort of reliable state for Scarefest?
My kids and hubby are gutted, was the main reason for us going. Im sure we will have a fab time anyway. And yes im guessing that they are shutting it now while its quiet ready for Scarefest.
Good excuse for us to go back in a few weeks though :)
daveclarkedaveclarke

tracey.foster.54 wrote:
ladyofthelake wrote:
My kids and hubby are gutted, was the main reason for us going. Im sure we will have a fab time anyway. And yes im guessing that they are shutting it now while its quiet ready for Scarefest.
I was just checking this topic to see if anyone else had said anything as I'm in the same situation as you. I have ridden it but my 2 friends who where also going haven't so gutted for them as we cant re book our days off at work.
tracey.foster.54

daveclarkedaveclarke wrote:
tracey.foster.54 wrote:
ladyofthelake wrote: That doesn't sound good :(
I was just checking this topic to see if anyone else had said anything as I'm in the same situation as you. I have ridden it but my 2 friends who where also going haven't so gutted for them as we cant re book our days off at work.
Sorry your friends wont get to ride it next week.
We cannot change our stay either due to my husbands work.
sully1311

They've posted it on Twitter now. How is this ride going to last more than 2 years?
Danny

Surely they aren't closing their new ride just to prepare for scarefest? Surely they would only close it if it absolutely has to be. I think it will be to do with the drainage after the recent floods
Brazilian13Guy

Just a quick question, still have mist in the dark section? I've watched recent povs and noticed the lights on too
Fish777

Does anyone know if it will be open on the 20th and 21st?
Kirsty25

I expect that no info will be available after downtime on 16th and 17th
Jevaaaans

I tweeted AT yesterday to ask whether it'll be open on my visit (27th/28th) and they said it was planned to be open. Maybe they have had these downtime period planned for a while, sort of like a 3 month review or something?
Jack

What hope do the staff at AT have if they can't put the lid on the test dummy? ;) -
Last edited by Jack on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hari

Was finally corrected yesterday and may I say, WHAT A BLOOMIN' RIDE! Loved every minute of it apart from the bang after the cobra roll exit, that killed!
NR
TheOutpatient

I've noticed no one has mentioned the garage start up with the orange battens - that is one of my favorite little icings on the cake.

When I went a couple of months back there was no fog. There was some light but it seemed to be from the actual opening of the whole dark section where the ride officially starts. I didn't notice lights or strobes except in the station. Where the audio clip plays of "Join us" I thought an effect could be added to the voice - reverse reverb would be THE effect to use; skip to 4:15 to hear him apply this effect to a vocal.
Its the one to use, you'll see what I mean when you hear it!
Last edited by TheOutpatient on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
coastercrazy2011

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, it turns out that The Smiler is actually NOT a euro-fighter...

According to the Gerst website, Smiler is in fact a 'Gerstaluer Infinity Coaster'

http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/referenc ... ler-en-US/
http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/products ... -coasters/
http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/products ... y-coaster/

:D
[url=http://"http://ridesims.com/users/7427-brandonhayes123/"]Image[/url]