The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
vesty21

Didn't see any flooding at all, all we got told was general maintenance from three seperate ride staff, before that 4 cars were running perfectly
Hari

Anyone on site today?
NR
TheOutpatient

lol, what a funny last page, haha a "pump truck" - its like the opposite of a fire engine  8)
Jammydodger wrote: I don't want to be a debby downer, but it seriously shows piss poor engeering, especially when Oblivion sits right next door to it, happy as a clam with its secluded tunnel and even higher flood risk.

Well I think the way they would usually go about something like this is to install perminant pumps. Some people actually have to pump their sewege up hill with a special pump or else there's literally nothing they can do.
I feel kind of forgiving due to ATs restrictions. I would imagine they tried something something, maybe they just missed 1 drain. They had to put an extra drain in my garden. I didn't even know there were hidden, sub terrainian drains haha.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Hari

The smiler had a 30 minute queue today on ride times!? Is this true!?
NR
lewis97
Admin
Admin

Hari wrote: The smiler had a 30 minute queue today on ride times!? Is this true!?
Don't see why it wouldn't be? Seeing as all schools are now back...
Hari

But lewis, people might have heard it was shut yesterday and decided not to come today :) But I want to know who was on site today still... Still aint got no responses :)
NR
Dan

It was indeed true. Once the initial rush was over it hovered around 30/40 minutes all day
Themeparksandy1981

I think during the closed season they will sort the flooding problems. It's shocking it's only been open 15 weeks on Friday. When you think the season is 6 months old on Sat. With just over 7 weeks left of the season I hope the Smiler has a good scarefest and Fireworks event.
As that part of the park is closed during the fireworks I do wonder what time the queue will close?
themealgang

Off tomorrow for another Smiler fix. Any idea how busy it will be? We chose a weekday just before Uni starts. Last time I was on-park was the last day of may just before my final A-Level exams and The Smiler was busy. Will be good to go without all the stress of A Levels this time round!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
vesty21

I was there today and managed five rides, twice in normal que for no more than 25 mins wait and three in the single rider roughly 15 minutes each time.
sully1311

The Smiler queue line will be open tomorrow from 9.30am, the queue will close at 12noon for planned maintenance.

Alton Towers Twitter:

What the hell!?
Danny

It appears that the Resort have learnt a brand new skill today! COMMUNICATION!

:clap:
themealgang

vesty21 wrote: I was there today and managed five rides, twice in normal que for no more than 25 mins wait and three in the single rider roughly 15 minutes each time.
That's promising!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Dan

A couple of things I noticed on my visit yesterday:

1) The back row is still incredibly rough. Of the 4 times I rode it 2 were on the back row, and it does throw you about a bit. My other 2 rides were on row 2 and were a lot smoother.

2) For some reason they turned off the Giggler and Inoculator effects at about 3 o'clock. Oblivions mist was also off all day as well.

I am still a big fan of the ride, they just need to do something with the trains to make it a bit smoother. By no means do I find it a ride-breaker, but a ride of this age shouldn't be showing signs of wear not even 4 months into operation.
TheOutpatient

only thing I can think of is, maybe they didn't want to add to the water.
This hoovering business is still amusing me (ps. not in a nasty way).
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
Jammydodger

It did indeed close at 12pm today (although it was more like 2pm after the queue cleared).
Lots of suits lingering in the area, and you could hear drills and thuds going off in the indoor section, although you couldn't make anything out. There was a LOT of water lingering in the indoor section too. I'd suspect they're probably adding some drainage or something to the area.

On a side note, the ride is aging terribly, the paintwork is ruined by wheel marks, there's murky muddy water lingering in every corner, the queue line fences are literally falling apart in some places and there's rust left right and center. It looks worse than Saw and its only only been open 4 Months...
Hari

Oh god... Will the ride be open for saturday??
NR
Hari

OMG! It is closed again according to ride times! :( It was open in the middle of the day with Rita closed and now its closed with Rita open!? WTF!?
NR
Dan

Hari wrote: OMG! It is closed again according to ride times! :( It was open in the middle of the day with Rita closed and now its closed with Rita open!? WTF!?
According to TS it has been up and down all day and the queue line was evacuated earlier on this afternoon
Hari

It then said near the end of the day that smiler had a 60min queue and rita had a 35min queue.
NR