The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
JackoCoasterMad

JackoCoasterMad wrote: Let me do some addition:
One of the best coasters out there + Delayed Opening + Bolt debris scare + Valleying Closures + Cracks in concrete = Smile always most of the time some of the time when it isn't SBNC - Standing But Not Correcting
SmileyMan

JackoCoasterMad wrote:
JackoCoasterMad wrote: Let me do some addition:
One of the best coasters out there + Delayed Opening + Bolt debris scare + Valleying Closures + Cracks in concrete = Smile always most of the time some of the time when it isn't SBNC - Standing But Not Correcting
Does anyone know yet what they were doing for 5 days while THE SMILER was closed? Apparently it is much smoother now...
tallicay2k

I love everytime I come on this topic i see:

It's closed!!

Open again!!
SEEK...AND...DESTROY
Jack

tallicay2k wrote: I love everytime I come on this topic i see:

It's closed!!

Open again!!
WE SEE THE SAME THING :shock: is there a cure?! :lol:
jordanc14

On the Theme Park Collective Facebook page, it says:
"To clear up some information about THE SMILER.

The reason it was closed for a few days was due to the footers at the top of X-Sector having structural damage. There was also a issue with the first lift hill. This part was installed early last night (3rd August). Gerstlauer had a 12 month supply of this component but THE SMILER went through the lot in 1 month! There is also a slight subsiding issue with the first lift hill but its nothing major.

THE SMILER reopened on the 4th August 2013 at 9.40 and had a minor break down at 12.45 in which the queue line and trains were evacuated. It was open again within 2 hours with no further problems throughout the day."

Doesn't sound too good  :shock:
audiobookman

jordanc14 wrote: On the Theme Park Collective Facebook page, it says:
"To clear up some information about THE SMILER.

The reason it was closed for a few days was due to the footers at the top of X-Sector having structural damage. There was also a issue with the first lift hill. This part was installed early last night (3rd August). Gerstlauer had a 12 month supply of this component but THE SMILER went through the lot in 1 month! There is also a slight subsiding issue with the first lift hill but its nothing major.

THE SMILER reopened on the 4th August 2013 at 9.40 and had a minor break down at 12.45 in which the queue line and trains were evacuated. It was open again within 2 hours with no further problems throughout the day."

Doesn't sound too good  :shock:
oh dear, sounds like there may have to be a minor design change to a part that wears out that quickly!!.
hopefully at will iron out these bugs very quickly and the ride will then stand the test of time like nemesis and oblivion.
roll on 9 days and i will finally find out...
Dan

I'm here now and they have the sign up which states The Smiler will not be open today. Whether it is there in error or not only time will tell....
JBragg1

The smiler is apparently open today from www.ridetimes.co.uk
Dan

It is indeed open today. Had a minor technical hitch while I was on it an hour ago but all ok now
Danny

Wow only half an hour today!
Dan

Today has been a great day for Smiler SRQ-whoring. Ride #10 and counting
tharrison4815

I hope they get the issues fixed before Scarefest. Id rather they just close it for a month to fix all the issues and ensure it runs well then.
Danny

It seems quiet today at AT. Smiler only 90 mins and nemesis only 10
Owen

bbooth2

I drove up after work at 5 and got in before six, queued for about 2 hours as it was on and off breaking down on the lift hill :/ I fear the worst for the future of this ride, it certainly isn't good the amount of faults we've had since it opened, I give it a year at most unless something gets sorted with it, they should just close it down for a good month or two, and do some serious testing and fault finding before opening again
Altontowersbarlow

The Smiler is Closed  :D
Cookie Monster

Like that's ever happened before  :lol:
Alex

Its not closed according to my source... I had a quick fly past to see what I could see and it looked open

sam_ph777

Now the hype has died down a little, would people recommend still joining the smiler queue straight away in the morning? or go on all the other rides then queue later in the day?
Chris
Admin
Admin

Going by the crowds which were outside the entrance before it opened on our meet day, I'd say avoid it first thing.

Best time seems to be early afternoon.