The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Jack

altontowersbarlow wrote: Why could this be?
People killed by coins and keys? ;)
Last edited by Jack on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
torps235

What do you think a net is for?!!
nickdcfc

torps235 wrote: What do you think a net is for?!!
Catching things that are falling
TheOutpatient

lol.

I reckon that's your standard permanent net for catching lose articles. I guess it was disturbing people when they were on the toilet. You'll probably see it there from now on.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
lucy2244

No, not the dreaded netting! That stuff is the bain of my life.
On another note, could we be seeing all this trouble now because of the rush they were in to open the ride? All that hurry to close off the queue lines with the mesh, could this be a result of the opening day rush?
TheOutpatient

it could be just that the test of time saw things falling out there or they were going on the roof and they didn't want to go up there anymore haha.
I suppose with the net they can just grab stuff down with a trash grabber (sorry don't know what that's called).

Something I've been meaning to say about this ride is that I really appreciate the homage to The Tickler - a very old ride that looks like it may have inspired the Bubbleworks.
Last edited by TheOutpatient on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/
ATJordan

Does this mean its likely to be open tomorrow?  :D
Jack

ATJordan wrote: Does this mean its likely to be open tomorrow?  :D
I guess we'll soon find out :moj
lewis97
Admin
Admin

I'm very doubtful that The Smiler has been closed all these days just to put in netting... This probably comes as a result of the recent flying bolt!
Last edited by lewis97 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shutterbug

They've started to reply to people on the Facebook page at least, very vague though so doubtful it'll be open tomorrow.

It's a pain it's shut but I was amused by the board at the entrance gate for the smiler as the waiting time had been changed to "666" minutes  :)

But they definitely need to do something with their advertising of it when it's shut...the website has the smiler plastered all over it and through out the park on things such asthe skyride it's constantly advertised much to the annoyance of guests....
TheOutpatient

Shutterbug wrote:
It's a pain it's shut but I was amused by the board at the entrance gate for the smiler as the waiting time had been changed to "666" minutes  :)
HAHAHA
Jammydodger

To be honest the net seems a bit of an omen in its own right.
They obviously knew the ride was going to be down for an extended time, so seized the opportunity to get up there with that net whilst they knew the ride had no chance or returning to operation.

That's what I'd say happened anyway.
JD1991

Jammydodger wrote: To be honest the net seems a bit of an omen in its own right.
They obviously knew the ride was going to be down for an extended time, so seized the opportunity to get up there with that net whilst they knew the ride had no chance or returning to operation.

That's what I'd say happened anyway.
Agreed to be honest. 2 birds 1 stone.
I'm Hilarious.
Mikkel

This ride has been riddled with problems from the very get go.

I wouldnt be surprised if the track broke in two next. Alton towers clearly cant handle the task of the words most looping roller coaster.
Themeparksandy1981

I said all along that as soon as the black hole tent was fully moved they should have started with the ground work straight away.
sully1311

They are replying to a lot of people on Twitter now. I'm guessing (just a wild guess!) that the Smiler will re-open today seeing as they don't mind talking when it is open.
ST-Chris

Work is being done on #TheSmiler today. An external company are in to resolve the issue

source: Towers2Go Twitter

Dan

Is it just me or is he stood under the bunny-hop between the 2nd dive loop and batwing?

EDIT: The Alton Towers website now has a message regarding The Smiler

"The Smiler is closed today... The ride is expected to be open soon"

Its only taken them 4 days but at least now there is some level of communication.
Last edited by Dan on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corkscrew Lover

It keeps breaking down and a piece of track came off as you know, but is it really dangerous, or just early problems?
Last edited by Corkscrew Lover on Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Corkscrew Lover wrote: It Keeps breaking Down and a piece of Track came off as you know, But Is it Really dangerous, or just early problems?
Not in the slightest, the bolt that fell off I think was caused by the fact that it went from incredibly hot (making the metal expand) to warm (metal then contracts) the track contracted faster and splitting the bolt, thats what I think happened, and breakdowns happen, yes it's more regular then other rides, but remember TH13TEEN and Air when they opened, breakdowns more then they ever do now, It's not dangerous at all :moj