The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
Ladyofthelake

lisadj

Kirsty25 wrote:
ladyofthelake wrote:
From Sky News "We turned around and there was a metal bar not even a metre away on the floor behind us. It was just under one foot long and about two inches thick."
Amazing how a bolt has now become a 1 foot metal bar! I don't know much about construction - is it possible the bolt was this big?
If it was a bolt I reckon they'd be about 6 to 8" long to go through the support, as for the thickness I don't know lol
Would agree with 8", probably 2" diameter maybe? Take a look at the pics I posted, you can see the hole :)
aircanman

This issue did cross my mind when they were using jacks and cherry pickers together with ratchet straps to get the track to match up if you remember, this was bound to happen in my opinion. 

One bolt cant take all that stress, and this is a major issue for the park I think.
bbooth2

hopefully all this will scare off the majority of the public, then I can go on it more than once in a day.
ST-Chris

bbooth2 wrote: hopefully all this will scare off the majority of the public, then I can go on it more than once in a day.
haha i smashed out 5 rides of it for the 2 hours of it was open when i was there! (never opened til 1530)

fastrack platinum ftw
Wedjie

danny.g97 wrote: When the emergency stop is activated everything shuts down.
The E stop can't have been activated if all 5 were in the station/brakes. If they had EStopped during operation there would be at least one, more likely two, trains that would have stopped at the bottom of/on a lift hill.
So it must have been a decision to get everything back to the station and stop running
Wedjie

Wilson10 wrote: You would think that AT would at least release some kind of statement or put something on the website
In this world of social media surely it would be better for them if what happened on Sunday came straight from the horses mouth.
Coultn't agree more! They are giving more information than when we had valleying, but still not enough!
They need to tell people what happened to avoid gossip, otherwise people start spreading false rumours or guessing and the whole thing gets blown way out of proportion.
JackoCoasterMad

:oops:
I'm sorry I've already asked this, but will it be open in your opinion for perhaps Thursday next week?
I'm getting desperate now: I need to get marmalised!
Kirsty25

JackoCoasterMad wrote: :oops:
I'm sorry I've already asked this, but will it be open in your opinion for perhaps Thursday next week?
I'm getting desperate now: I need to get marmalised!
How long is a piece of string, I certainly wouldn't like to say either way as to whether it will be open, fingers crossed it will be.
Stephenstoke

It wasn't a bar what fell of it was a bolt and I was there Sunday just after it happend and you could just see the bolt on top of the cage and the bolts are not that long probs about 10cm wide and about an inch wide the news and radio 1 are just making it out that the ride has fell to bits it's 1 bolt
kelly.carter.79230

Stephenstoke wrote: It wasn't a bar what fell of it was a bolt and I was there Sunday just after it happend and you could just see the bolt on top of the cage and the bolts are not that long probs about 10cm wide and about an inch wide the news and radio 1 are just making it out that the ride has fell to bits it's 1 bolt
I was in the queue line Sunday and some people just make you laugh it was a bolt if it was a foot long and don't you think someone would have took a picture it's rubbish
OptimaX

I'm in the hotel now and spend all day in the park and i will go back tomorrow. I saw people fixing the track. Two guys were hammering and screwing the bolt back in. Alton towers personal were optimistic and said they were aiming for re-opening tomorrow. I think they might use the evening for testing if it doesn't make too much noise for the people living in the area. I wouldn't take the risk to come tomorrow if you haven't booked already...
MartyMcFry

Myself and 9 members of my family have pre-booked hotels and parks tickets for this friday and saturday. we are coming specifically to ride the smiler so although this situation sucks i just wanna thank everyone on this site and thread for keeping us all updated.
Zach

My good friend if your coming Saturday why are you not coming to the sizzler event!
MartyMcFry

i thought about it but decided against it due to having small children with us.
nimio

i know its a bit of a longshot but i'll be visiting the park this friday, is there any chance it will open by then?:(:( 

also, i'm very disappointed in the way AT have been handling this! i would have gone on friday without knowing it was closed, i only heard on the radio this morning. surely the least they could do is a simple tweet
Last edited by nimio on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ladyofthelake

nimio wrote: i know its a bit of a longshot but i'll be visiting the park this friday, is there any chance it will open by then?:(:(
Your guess is as good as mine. I know they have been working on it, but they won't re-open until it is safe. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)
Themeparksandy1981

ProjectK wrote: National press and national radio coverage of this must be an absolute nightmare for AT! This really is the last thing they want "out there" at the start of peak season.
You know how the Tabloids' sensationalised approach and word-of-mouth work... before we know it, there will be tales circulating of beheaded queuers and cars flying off broken track...!
I would not want to work for Gerstlauer's coaster division right now!
Been honest I think 99.9% of the general public would have been more bothered about the Royal's new son,winning the second test of the Ashes and another Brit winning the tour de France.
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

When the E-stop was hit was there a train on/at the bottom of the first lift if so how did it get to the break run? (it would of had to go over the broken bit)
lisadj

alex tyler wrote: When the E-stop was hit was there a train on/at the bottom of the first lift if so how did it get to the break run? (it would of had to go over the broken bit)
iirc there were 3 trains out when we heard the clang - I'm not sure when they did a stop because all of them had to return first. At least 2 passed over the broken part, if not 3.