The Smiler - General Discussion

General discussion regarding the UK's No.1 Theme Park. Talk about anything and everything Alton Towers here.
sully1311

Absolutely awful of AT not to put it on their website/social media that the ride is closed. Front page, bang, advertising the smiler.
Mark.aa

Smiller still closed.
Crane  on site with engineer in crane basket retorqueing  the bolts
Wedjie

Bet theres some disappointed people on Park!
Smiler, Rita, Sonic all down.
13, Air, Blivvy all 60+min queues.
lisadj

Wedjie wrote: Bet theres some disappointed people on Park!
Smiler, Rita, Sonic all down.
13, Air, Blivvy all 60+min queues.
Nemesis went down for some time yesterday too! After we had been on it. We didn't go near Oblivion because of the queue
bbooth2

so greatful I went on Saturday, me and a friend managed to get on the smiler, oblivion, rita, air and nemesis in an hour and a half!! without fast tracks or single riders for any of the rides.
lisadj

bbooth2 wrote: so greatful I went on Saturday, me and a friend managed to get on the smiler, oblivion, rita, air and nemesis in an hour and a half!! without fast tracks or single riders for any of the rides.
it was quiet on Saturday, we were there too and we stayed in the hotel Saturday night. I think Saturday was the best time to go all year. Not too hot, and not busy. :)
Alex

Statement from AT
Yesterday morning, Sunday 21st July, in line with our standard procedures, Alton Towers Resort closed The Smiler to investigate a small piece of debris that had allegedly fallen from the track.

At no time was any visitor at any risk, and 48 guests on the ride at the time were safely disembarked. As the health and safety of our guests is our primary concern, the ride will remain closed whilst the Resort’s technical team investigate.”
Kirsty25

I love that the debris allegedly fell from the track... Bolts falling from the sky whatever next ;)
Alex

Never heard the saying, "it's raining nuts and bolts" ??? :roll:
Alex Tyler
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

Has anybody spotted that the bolt broke 4 years to the day after the last Skyride fire?
ry1996

I was on park today, the Smiler wasn't open and the crane was out. Throughout the day workers were looking at the bolts as it looked to me but no testing occurred
Mark.aa

What will they do for annual pass holders who came?
Day visitors have had there tickets revalidated!
I'm still at hotel and hoping that its working Tuesday.
Kirsty25

Mark.aa wrote: What will they do for annual pass holders who came?
Day visitors have had there tickets revalidated!
I'm still at hotel and hoping that its working Tuesday.
go into guest services and ask :)
MatthewR1990

Just to add my knowledge. I can assure you that if you took a bolt out of every section of that track the coaster would still be perfectly safe. In today's world, (specifically when the health and safety of humans are at risk) there is no room for "that will do" situations. Everything is over engineered these days. Take for example a set of bunk beds. They will have a limited weight on them of let's say 100kg. But I assure you that they are probably tested to 200kg and more. The only danger in this situation was the falling object itself, which again is why they have added grid ceilings to the queulines. I would have no issue in my mind to ride this rollercoaster right now without that bolt in the track.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.
temleh

"For every bolt of the new Smiler ride that falls, a member of your family - will die." ;)
Follow me on Instagram! @v05mattclay
Evostance

MatthewR1990 wrote: Just to add my knowledge. I can assure you that if you took a bolt out of every section of that track the coaster would still be perfectly safe. In today's world, (specifically when the health and safety of humans are at risk) there is no room for "that will do" situations. Everything is over engineered these days. Take for example a set of bunk beds. They will have a limited weight on them of let's say 100kg. But I assure you that they are probably tested to 200kg and more. The only danger in this situation was the falling object itself, which again is why they have added grid ceilings to the queulines. I would have no issue in my mind to ride this rollercoaster right now without that bolt in the track.
Theres a 6cm gap in the track..you send cars over that and it will cause plenty off issues and I would imagine shreaded wheels would be in there somewhere, not to mention the extra strain it will put on other parts of the track.  If it wasn't an issue then they'd simply keep it open.
An £18m coaster is somewhat different to a £50 bunk bed.  If you're going down that route, you need to put a 6cm gap in one of the bunk bed supports.  Sure it'll hold but probably not for too long and you don't want to be using it.
SuperWill

I wonder how long The Smiler will be out for?

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
fabiasimon

Evostance wrote:
MatthewR1990 wrote: Just to add my knowledge. I can assure you that if you took a bolt out of every section of that track the coaster would still be perfectly safe. In today's world, (specifically when the health and safety of humans are at risk) there is no room for "that will do" situations. Everything is over engineered these days. Take for example a set of bunk beds. They will have a limited weight on them of let's say 100kg. But I assure you that they are probably tested to 200kg and more. The only danger in this situation was the falling object itself, which again is why they have added grid ceilings to the queulines. I would have no issue in my mind to ride this rollercoaster right now without that bolt in the track.
Theres a 6cm gap in the track..you send cars over that and it will cause plenty off issues and I would imagine shreaded wheels would be in there somewhere, not to mention the extra strain it will put on other parts of the track.  If it wasn't an issue then they'd simply keep it open.
An £18m coaster is somewhat different to a £50 bunk bed.  If you're going down that route, you need to put a 6cm gap in one of the bunk bed supports.  Sure it'll hold but probably not for too long and you don't want to be using it.
Not that I 100% agree with either post here:-
But 6cm??? You must have 12 inch!!!
fabiasimon

temleh wrote: "For every bolt of the new Smiler ride that falls, a member of your family - will die." ;)
Haha........I like this very good :)
JackoCoasterMad

Can anyone approximate a reopening date?
I will be going next week, so do you guys think it will be open or not?
Last edited by JackoCoasterMad on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.